Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The internet is leaving children brain-dead

trevor baylis

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    voidla

voidla

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Children born in an age of internet are still creative, just in different ways. We can not become brain-dead when more books are made through self publication made easier with the internet, and information on the internet.
We were creative painting on canvases without the internet, we're creative now on digital canvases.
He's just bitter his invention didn't take off and digital radios did

Everything and nothing is impossible.

It makes sense both are what makes each other.

#17    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

♔ AVATAR Korra

• 8,262 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

Dictionary Reference's meaning behind "brain dead."

#18    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,715 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostMedium Brown, on 27 December 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

Tbh I think video games are more likely to leave kids brain-dead.
The Internet as well as being an source of entertainment is also one big instruction manual.
How can you possibly say that through this information you can't actually invent anything.
Besides through the benefit of typing stuff on your keyboard the secretarial pool will never be empty.
You couldn't get a more practical use of your hands besides holding and gripping stuff.
The world would be a dark,dismal place without the Internet.
With all this recent stuff coming through you can easily imagine them switching off the network.
They should be focusing on the benefits of the Internet instead of condemning it.

Just stating video games like that is quite a broad statement. There are a lot of different types of games out there.

Although I somewhat agree. There are mindless games and then there are games that unlock new interests, broaden creativity, improve leadership and group management, financial management, political viewpoints, expression of art, etc. I can show you an example of each if you'd like.

As far as the topic subject is concerned. I Think it depends on the way you use it. Some children use it as a tool to learn a wide array of things on their own. Others just simply type in the question and get an answer. Also coupled with the various online addictions kids can fall prey to which results in mindless, pointless, almost regressive activities.

I've seen kids at age 13 or so uploading iPhone application development tutorials and such from what they've learnt online. But then I've seen those at the same age posting up pointless statuses, pictures and such and obsess over the amount of attention they receive which really doesn't do them any good and is regressive behaviour.

In the end it comes down to as I explain before, how you use it.

#19    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,807 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 29 December 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

Homemade video and editing is a computer skill often done by home taught computer brain deads as the Topic Title would suggest. Saying theres more to it then saying video games are bad therefore computers must be bad...Its a lame argument. Computers are beneficial. Not to mention thats a inventive video. I gave it a thumbs up.

View PostHasina, on 29 December 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

Exactly the point the I got from you putting up the video. I watch a YouTuber who goes by the name Chuggaaconroy and a few Internet reviewers of things like comics, '80's shot on s**tty-o movies, and things like that. The internet's not leaving us brain dead, it's extending our brains out to others.
That's the thing, though, Trevor Bayliss isn't talking about computer and Inter Net related skills, he's talking about practical skills and things not involving Computers. He's saying that if people might find themsleves in situations where any number of computer or video game skillz wouldn't be any use to them, the only thing they'd be able to do would be to post an update on Tw*tter saying "omg, lulz."

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#20    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Yeah god forbid people who use the internet for human interaction are brain dead. Twitter updates are nothing more then quickly sent letters. Language, writing, reading, social interactions are quite useful offline maybe even practical if you ask me.

#21    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 30 December 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

Just stating video games like that is quite a broad statement. There are a lot of different types of games out there.

Although I somewhat agree. There are mindless games and then there are games that unlock new interests, broaden creativity, improve leadership and group management, financial management, political viewpoints, expression of art, etc. I can show you an example of each if you'd like.

I was thinking more on the lines of multi-player shoot em ups.
Those are the ones that are more likely to freeze your brain out of the entire Internet apparatus.
However games where you are solving  a puzzle or navigating yourself through a maze are OK.
In fact they are quite  benign and keep in line with the creative and positive aspects of the Internet.
I don't need any examples because I'm certain there's more to it than those repetitive shoot em ups.
I know I came across wrong but not once did I ignore the overall importance of the Internet.
It means a lot of things to a lot of people and you can't call any of them brain-dead.
Btw you can also damage your wrists with the shoot em ups as well as your intelligence.
Hope that clears things up.

Edited by Medium Brown, 30 December 2012 - 07:39 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#22    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,715 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 30 December 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

I was thinking more on the lines of multi-player shoot em ups.
Those are the ones that are more likely to freeze your brain out of the entire Internet apparatus.
However games where you are solving  a puzzle or navigating yourself through a maze are OK.
In fact they are quite  benign and keep in line with the creative and positive aspects of the Internet.
I don't need any examples because I'm certain there's more to it than those repetitive shoot em ups.
I know I came across wrong but not once did I ignore the overall importance of the Internet.
It means a lot of things to a lot of people and you can't call any of them brain-dead.
Btw you can also damage your wrists with the shoot em ups as well as your intelligence.
Hope that clears things up.

I play an online shooter called team fortress 2. Just recently they had the Saxxy awards in which players can submit movies created with the game. You should take a look at the amount of creativity and originality used for some of them. They also allow players to submit item designs which may later be chosen to be included in the game.

In regards to playing it, there are 9 classes and an abundance of strategies playing each one in regards to the items you can use (customisable by finding/trading). On top of that, organising the team and achieving the objective using leadership, devising strategies on the spot and teamwork, as you can imagine, these skills would benefit you in the real world.

The game also has a trading system as mentioned before and actually has an in game economy in which certain items are worth even real world money. This system can have certain item prices fluctuate depending on the time (especially limited edition items or newly added). Implementation of such systems has be shown to improve investment decisions and the like, as you can imagine there are similar trends like in share trading, also real world.

One of the big things is reading how another player plays the game and working out ways to combat their playing style and outdo them.

On top of that you can add the pure fun aspect and enjoyment of playing with friends.

So they aren't all completely mindless. Also all these real world application of skills and abilities which can be gained through this game could even be argued, exercises your brain.

Edited by Orcseeker, 30 December 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#23    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 30 December 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

I play an online shooter called team fortress 2. Just recently they had the Saxxy awards in which players can submit movies created with the game. You should take a look at the amount of creativity and originality used for some of them. They also allow players to submit item designs which may later be chosen to be included in the game.

In regards to playing it, there are 9 classes and an abundance of strategies playing each one in regards to the items you can use (customisable by finding/trading). On top of that, organising the team and achieving the objective using leadership, devising strategies on the spot and teamwork, as you can imagine, these skills would benefit you in the real world.

The game also has a trading system as mentioned before and actually has an in game economy in which certain items are worth even real world money. This system can have certain item prices fluctuate depending on the time (especially limited edition items or newly added). Implementation of such systems has be shown to improve investment decisions and the like, as you can imagine there are similar trends like in share trading, also real world.

One of the big things is reading how another player plays the game and working out ways to combat their playing style and outdo them.

On top of that you can add the pure fun aspect and enjoyment of playing with friends.

So they aren't all completely mindless. Also all these real world application of skills and abilities which can be gained through this game could even be argued, exercises your brain.
I could mention Call Of Duty and Halo but I'm not going to labour the point...
I actually had an inkling you could perform other tasks as well as shooting.
You could say my bias against video games has blinded me to make such sweeping statements.
Tbh that game sounds okay because it dosn't sound one-dimensional and stimulates your brain.
You could say  my interest in video games is casual at best but most of the time I'm indifferent.
It's just that I find other things more interesting and that's why I had no knowledge of your game.
I think if your going to criticise something you need to do some research to back you up.
After that all that I'm dying to play Sims and have dabbled in football management games.

Edited by Medium Brown, 30 December 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#24    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,715 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 30 December 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

I could mention Call Of Duty and Halo but I'm not going to labour the point...
I actually had an inkling you could perform other tasks as well as shooting.
You could say my bias against video games has blinded me to make such sweeping statements.
Tbh that game sounds okay because it dosn't sound one-dimensional and stimulates your brain.
You could say  my interest in video games is casual at best but most of the time I'm indifferent.
It's just that I find other things more interesting and that's why I had no knowledge of your game.
I think if your going to criticise something you need to do some research to back you up.
After that all that I'm dying to play Sims and have dabbled in football management games.

I agree with you on games like that. They are quite shallow in terms of what you can do in comparison with a game like team fortress 2. Although they may assist in accuracy, reaction time and such, it eventually becomes a repetitive action.

You can even just have the game to make movies from it using another program called Garry's Mod or the same one they developed the "Meet the..." series for the game, "Source Filmmaker". They made it free to play a while ago. They make a lot more money through the in-game store.

#25    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

Those games though like Team Fortress and COD though can improve things like teamwork, communication, leadership skills and a whole slew of others things.  Even more so when played in a league/ladders. Basically a sport if you think about it.

#26    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,487 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Let me tell you..the internet makes any research far easier than spending hours at the library then waiting days for ordered books to arrive.
Job searching is easier too.

I have to listen to my father moan about kids and their use of gadgets like the Android phones or the like.
At my age I really don't have a whole lot of use for them but just because I don't doesn't mean it is stupid and worthless.

After all people who didn't grow up with computers are often likely to down talk it as being worthless and a destroyer of society...this same lame excuse was used throughout history so one old fogey blubbering about the "internet" is pretty par the course and shouldn't be taken seriously.

#27    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Is this a class action lawsuit if so where do I sign up.

#28    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,807 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostRyu, on 06 January 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Let me tell you..the internet makes any research far easier than spending hours at the library then waiting days for ordered books to arrive.
Job searching is easier too.

I have to listen to my father moan about kids and their use of gadgets like the Android phones or the like.
At my age I really don't have a whole lot of use for them but just because I don't doesn't mean it is stupid and worthless.

After all people who didn't grow up with computers are often likely to down talk it as being worthless and a destroyer of society...this same lame excuse was used throughout history so one old fogey blubbering about the "internet" is pretty par the course and shouldn't be taken seriously.
But that is the whole point. "Research" now just consists of Wiki the Pedia and videos on Yotube. You see it time and time again here, people who smugly put up a video, and often don't even add any comment of their own, as if that provides definitive proof of whatever it is they want to argue. People don't know how to find out anything that isn't on Wiki Pedia, or even if it is, they take it as gospel and don't think it's necessary to confirm it anywhere else.

Edited by Lord Vetinari, 07 January 2013 - 07:46 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#29    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,807 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

And the point the "old fogey" was making, which everyone seems to overlook, is that people don't have any clue about how to do anything that isn't to do with the Inter Net or youtube or twitter. it's all very well people being able to make incredibly creative videos, but being able to make incredibly creative videos wouldn't always be an asset in every situation. really, it's just the same as the attitude that "oh, we can rely on everyone else to do everything for us" that everyone, including Governments, take now. We can make incredibly creative vodeos on yotube, and rely on China to provide us with everything we need.

Edited by Lord Vetinari, 07 January 2013 - 07:51 AM.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#30    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 29 December 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

Homemade video and editing is a computer skill often done by home taught computer brain deads as the Topic Title would suggest. Saying theres more to it then saying video games are bad therefore computers must be bad...Its a lame argument. Computers are beneficial. Not to mention thats a inventive video. I gave it a thumbs up.

Don't forget that 99.9% of music is either created, produced, engineered or has a computer involved in one way or another now.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users