Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Noises in the sky at night

Salliss

So last week when I was getting ready for bed I started hearing strange noises outside my house. Unsure what I was hearing, I opened the window. If you put headphones on and whack the volume up really loudly you will be able to hear a massive metallic noise, like twisting metal, accompanied by the sound of a helicopter or something similar.

I am in no way suggesting this has any basis in the paranormal, I am just totally confused as to what these noises were. They continued for well over an hour. I was told it might be rail works so I called the rail services and was told there was no rail work in my area.

Please be wary that this was not doctored in any way, I literally recorded it on my phone holding it out the window, and uploaded it here.

That sounded good through headphones, pretty clear. I have no idea what it is though, it sounded kind of like interferance, like it was electrical, then in other parts it sounded like metal being hit.

A wind farm?

There really isn't much infomation to go on.

First of all ... Did anyone else hear these things ?

Second .... Oh hullo @Salliss welcome to UM ... :tu:

~ edit - just noticed

`

Edited by third_eye

First of all .... Did anyone else hear these things ?

~

A wind farm?

There really isn't much infomation to go on.

Ok, first off, I live in a small village on the outskirts of a crappy town in England. No wind farms, older retirement community, definitely no one awake at 1am, which is when the noises started. About 500 feet away from me is an old church, my house is semi detached (attached to the one next to it) and I have neighbours who are 70+. There are no working farms, no factories, no airports, busy roads, nothing near me at all that could possibly be creating this noise.

My first sign that this was odd was my dog. She lives in my bedroom, pretty much, and as soon as the noises started she barked, and then hid under my desk. Understand that she is not a dog who makes any noise, and despite being small, is scared of nothing, including coyotes, snakes, the like. After about fifteen minutes of this noise continuing on and off, I went downstairs. I currently live with my father, and no one else. He was asleep in front of the television. I told him what was going on and dragged him out the front of my house to see if I was going insane, or if he could hear this too. He could, but here's another complication.

Standing out the front of my house, the noise was approaching very loudly from the South. My bedroom window is at the back of my house, and when I heard the noise out of the window, the noise was approaching very loudly from the North (we have an East facing house). My father, who usually has an explanation for EVERYTHING, despite being less of a sceptic than even I am, could not explain what it was to me, which is when I started looking into it being rail works. Calling them, however, I was put through to around seven different people, all of whom told me that there were no rail works going on in my area of the country at all.

Perhaps this sets the scene a little better? Again, I'm not putting a label on what this is, because I don't know.

• Like 1

You and your dad have more information than us and is no nearer to an idea ... best to take a few days to see if the neighbors in the area also experienced the same things. Check the local papers.

The sound in your recording really sounds mechanical in some way very familiar ... it has not happened again since ?

Perhaps an accident involving some heavy vehicle ?

~

You and your dad have more information than us and is no nearer to an idea ... best to take a few days to see if the neighbors in the area also experienced the same things. Check the local papers.

The sound in your recording really sounds mechanical in some way very familiar ... it has not happened again since ?

Perhaps an accident involving some heavy vehicle ?

~

I have heard nothing from anyone about hearing this noise, I've been checking radios, papers, online papers, and nothing is coming up. It sounds very mechanical in the video, however in person it was... somewhat different. The only way that I can describe it is like a giant was chewing a thick piece of metal. Or possibly tying steel girders in knots. It sounded like gigantic pieces of metal being bent or mangled.

The closest I've found to an accident involving a large vehicle was a small, non fatal plane crash, but that was days before this incident and was also fifty miles away.

Have you got a military base near you? The sound of a helicoptor then a mechanical sound could be transporting large machinery by air (sound of the chains swinging in the air etc)....the dead of night carries sound pretty far! I'd admit it doesn't sound that way to me, but a phone recording is low in sample rate, so it can be deceiving as to what we are hearing.

I know one thing - that recording would make a great intro to a trance/drum and bass track - "can somebody please tell me what the $*!? that is!"

Have you got a military base near you? The sound of a helicoptor then a mechanical sound could be transporting large machinery by air (sound of the chains swinging in the air etc)....the dead of night carries sound pretty far! I'd admit it doesn't sound that way to me, but a phone recording is low in sample rate, so it can be deceiving as to what we are hearing.

I know one thing - that recording would make a great intro to a trance/drum and bass track - "can somebody please tell me what the $*!? that is!"

HA! Thanks I'll get someone to remix it asap. :) There aren't really military bases near me, but there is an out of use air facility. However it has been there all my life, so I don't know why I would only be hearing this now. If it WAS that that I was hearing, I doubt anyone is going to tell me, but I do know that there are a couple of sounds from this (namely 4:15, Glasgow, and 10:40, Canada) that sound absolutely exactly like what I heard. If this is gonna go down again I guess we better brace ourselves?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmRyqU5tv88

Do you live near any industeries plant ? Maybe they are deliveries, cargo from shipping yards on helicopters in those big metal boxes to plants, to big to drive them on the roads. They may do it at night not to carried the metal boxes over a lot of traffic. Just guessing:)

Do you live near any industeries plant ? Maybe they are deliveries, cargo from shipping yards on helicopters in those big metal boxes to plants, to big to drive them on the roads. They may do it at night not to carried the metal boxes over a lot of traffic. Just guessing:)

As I said in a previous comment; "There are no working farms, no factories, no airports, busy roads, nothing near me at all that could possibly be creating this noise."

HA! Thanks I'll get someone to remix it asap. :) There aren't really military bases near me, but there is an out of use air facility. However it has been there all my life, so I don't know why I would only be hearing this now. If it WAS that that I was hearing, I doubt anyone is going to tell me, but I do know that there are a couple of sounds from this (namely 4:15, Glasgow, and 10:40, Canada) that sound absolutely exactly like what I heard. If this is gonna go down again I guess we better brace ourselves?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmRyqU5tv88[/media]

Cool! Remember me when they are dishing out the royalties to your hit tune! ;) lol

I've seen that video before - it's a good one...I mess about with sound quite a lot (mainly music but also some basic amateur radio scopes)....those two clips you highlighted remind me of the sounds from Jupiter. It could just be that what people are hearing, and what you heard are atmospherics that made their way into our hearing range, momentarily.

Edited by Sky Scanner

I have heard nothing from anyone about hearing this noise, I've been checking radios, papers, online papers, and nothing is coming up. It sounds very mechanical in the video, however in person it was... somewhat different. The only way that I can describe it is like a giant was chewing a thick piece of metal. Or possibly tying steel girders in knots. It sounded like gigantic pieces of metal being bent or mangled.

The closest I've found to an accident involving a large vehicle was a small, non fatal plane crash, but that was days before this incident and was also fifty miles away.

doesn't have to be gigantic ... metal being moved or bent makes a hell of a racket more so in the quiet night and outskirts to people not used to the sound ...

I think the light plane crash is the first clue to cracking this one ... thanks to sky Scanner

Have you got a military base near you? The sound of a helicoptor then a mechanical sound could be transporting large machinery by air (sound of the chains swinging in the airetc)....the dead of night carries sound pretty far! I'd admit it doesn't sound that way to me, but a phone recording is low in sample rate, so it can be deceiving as to what we are hearing.

So far from what you've told me I hazard a few guesses ...

one : some old structure in the area was being demolished or crashed down at the time ... collapsed

two : illegal dumping or someone was moving building structure or material ... unloading ... loading

three: that small plane that crashed was being retrieved and did pass by your area ... those operations are usually done in the night to cause as few complications as possible

so far I believe this and any one of the three is most possible outcome of our little mystery here ... perhaps if you follow the leads you may find the answers

good luck !

:tu:

~

doesn't have to be gigantic ... metal being moved or bent makes a hell of a racket more so in the quiet night and outskirts to people not used to the sound ...

I think the light plane crash is the first clue to cracking this one ... thanks to sky Scanner

So far from what you've told me I hazard a few guesses ...

one : some old structure in the area was being demolished or crashed down at the time ... collapsed

two : illegal dumping or someone was moving building structure or material ... unloading ... loading

three: that small plane that crashed was being retrieved and did pass by your area ... those operations are usually done in the night to cause as few complications as possible

so far I believe this and any one of the three is most possible outcome of our little mystery here ... perhaps if you follow the leads you may find the answers

good luck !

:tu:

~

Hehe thanks for wishing me luck, but I will address this:

1. I'd have noticed (small village, buildings going missing would be a little obvious)

2. Very possible, so I'll give you that one

3. A small plane being moved, I can't get behind that one, since it wouldn't take over an hour to do so.

I just wish I wasn't so creeped out by what happened. I was literally relieved every time it stopped and terrified every time it started. I've had several paranormal experiences, which I can actually say are paranormal, but this is entirely different, entirely worse, and I can't say whether it's paranormal or just... normal.

Hehe thanks for wishing me luck, but I will address this:

1. I'd have noticed (small village, buildings going missing would be a little obvious)

2. Very possible, so I'll give you that one

3. A small plane being moved, I can't get behind that one, since it wouldn't take over an hour to do so.

I just wish I wasn't so creeped out by what happened. I was literally relieved every time it stopped and terrified every time it started. I've had several paranormal experiences, which I can actually say are paranormal, but this is entirely different, entirely worse, and I can't say whether it's paranormal or just... normal.

1. it doesn't have to be an entire building ... so I believe that is still one of the more probable cause, maybe a cellar collapsing ?

2. I think so too, so I'm returning it to you :)

3. 50 miles out from you to the nearest wherever they need to get it to ... I would not be so quick to write this one out. They have to fly slow and over non populated areas. But visually this would be the easiest to spot, so someone would have to have seen something ... that night.

Most times it is the 'normal' that is the creepiest because it is far more common.

Just by hearing what there is in your recording of the events I believe this far from the para normal ... it is quite within the realm of the normal. :yes:

So no worries.

Perhaps the incident was not as lingering to the hour as your first thoughts ?

~

1. it doesn't have to be an entire building ... so I believe that is still one of the more probable cause, maybe a cellar collapsing ?

2. I think so too, so I'm returning it to you :)

3. 50 miles out from you to the nearest wherever they need to get it to ... I would not be so quick to write this one out. They have to fly slow and over non populated areas. But visually this would be the easiest to spot, so someone would have to have seen something ... that night.

Most times it is the 'normal' that is the creepiest because it is far more common.

Just by hearing what there is in your recording of the events I believe this far from the para normal ... it is quite within the realm of the normal. :yes:

So no worries.

Perhaps the incident was not as lingering to the hour as your first thoughts ?

~

Other than the minute I spent recording it and the ten minutes I spent downstairs I was on the phone with my boyfriend, who lives in another town. He was basically attempting to keep me calm. The call log is:

First call: 1.36am 15 mins

Second call: 1.40am 5 mins

Third call: 2.01am 1 hour 37 minutes

That's a whole lot of time for it to keep that up. I really want this to be explained. I think I might take the dog and do some scouting of the area this afternoon.

Other than the minute I spent recording it and the ten minutes I spent downstairs I was on the phone with my boyfriend, who lives in another town. He was basically attempting to keep me calm. The call log is:

First call: 1.36am 15 mins

Second call: 1.40am 5 mins

Third call: 2.01am 1 hour 37 minutes

That's a whole lot of time for it to keep that up. I really want this to be explained. I think I might take the dog and do some scouting of the area this afternoon.

Here ... let me get it clear on this ... the ruckus was going on throughout the time you were on the phone ?

If so ... maybe just maybe it is more than just one of the mentioned probable causes ... most plausible even if improbable, :lol:

That's close to two hours is what I'm understanding here ... should be building and transportation loading and unloading then.

~

Here ... let me get it clear on this ... the ruckus was going on throughout the time you were on the phone ?

If so ... maybe just maybe it is more than just one of the mentioned probable causes ... most plausible even if improbable, :lol:

That's close to two hours is what I'm understanding here ... should be building and transportation loading and unloading then.

~

Are you saying the phone was causing it? I'm not too clear on what you just said.

And I've never known any building or transportation to be going on at those times of day anywhere let alone in this tiny place.

Do you have an electricity pylon near you salliss? if so, did the noise you heard sound anything like this from your vantage point?

[media=]

[/media]

Edit - fixed spelling.

Edited by Sky Scanner

Are you saying the phone was causing it? I'm not too clear on what you just said.

And I've never known any building or transportation to be going on at those times of day anywhere let alone in this tiny place.

No I didn't mean your phone was making the noise, I was just trying to make sure that the noise was going on the entire time you were on the phone, to determine the time span. From the phone log activity it adds up to close to two hours ... that's way too long for a non localised incident.

Meaning it has to be something that the source has to be fixed in place somewhere, not passing by or accidental.

Sound carries very far in the outskirts or rural areas ... it might even be miles away ... depending on the distinctive topographical character of your vicinity.

~

Do you have an electricity pylon near you salliss? if so, did the noise you heard some anything like this from your vantage point?

[media=]

[/media]

Wow, gosh, that's pretty similar to begin with, but the difference is that that is constant and this was coming in waves. There was definitely no electricity buzzing, and that also sounds a lot more electrical but yeah I can definitely get behind it being something similar to that. I'm definitely going hunting later. I'll sniff it out, and hell, if I can't find anything I guess I'll just have to put it down to HAARP or something haha.

No I didn't mean your phone was making the noise, I was just trying to make sure that the noise was going on the entire time you were on the phone, to determine the time span. From the phone log activity it adds up to close to two hours ... that's way too long for a non localised incident.

Meaning it has to be something that the source has to be fixed in place somewhere, not passing by or accidental.

Sound carries very far in the outskirts or rural areas ... it might even be miles away ... depending on the distinctive topographical character of your vicinity.

~

Yes, entire time, it started, got worse and worse and then disappeared slowly. I will be keeping my ears open for this again. It didn't help that it was an overcast night (in England?! Never!) so I couldn't see the sky at all. My county is flat, like, no hills whatsoever, so I don't think it could have really been echo, but I'm willing to accept for certain that sound can travel. I've been a night owl for well over ten years now, and I've never heard anything quite this ... odd ... before. And I've definitely heard some strange things, sounds of bombs going off in the distance etc, which isn't a normal thing to happen here. However this sounded like it was right overhead, which is what terrified me.

I would say if it was just the metalic sounds I`d be freaked, but since you heard helicopters, the sounds must have something to do with them. Can you call some kind of a emergency number and asked whats going on? I`ve call our 911 number many times when I heard some wierd sounds, one time I heard these horriable metal crashing sound and here it was car accidents and helicopters are sent out to pick up hurt people or maybe a helicpoter bringing up a car that went over a cliff, just more guesses:)

Yes, entire time, it started, got worse and worse and then disappeared slowly. I will be keeping my ears open for this again. It didn't help that it was an overcast night (in England?! Never!) so I couldn't see the sky at all. My county is flat, like, no hills whatsoever, so I don't think it could have really been echo, but I'm willing to accept for certain that sound can travel. I've been a night owl for well over ten years now, and I've never heard anything quite this ... odd ... before. And I've definitely heard some strange things, sounds of bombs going off in the distance etc, which isn't a normal thing to happen here. However this sounded like it was right overhead, which is what terrified me.

Sound travels furthest and fastest in flat areas ... that's why it sounded like it was 'right overhead' ... much more so in low overcast conditions.

Should be some sort of major construction repairs or works .... or at least transportation, loading and unloading of or involving heavy machinery somewhere.

I am not familiar with the area you're in but I'm sure some of the members here that are familiar and has the experience can pinpoint an area of expanse based on the locality that you mentioned. Should be miles ... from my experience and based on the level of decibel that you mentioned I would hazard a guess of eight to ten miles and under fifteen.

~

Edited by third_eye