Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ten Commandments monument hit by car

OverSword

I put this in the politics section because this is the monument which prompted the satanic temple to propose a baphomet statue. From the article:

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Ten Commandments monument at the Oklahoma state Capitol was destroyed Thursday evening when a car plowed into the statue.

An investigation is underway by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol into the "malicious destruction of state property," according to OHP spokesman Capt. George Brown.

Troopers responded around 7 p.m. to an abandoned vehicle that was driven into the statue. Investigators are examining the vehicle for evidence.

"We'll process the scene and suspect vehicle to further the investigation in hopes of locating the responsible party," said Brown.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Oklahoma Highway Patrol at (405) 425-7709.

The statue, which was privately funded by Rep. Mike Ritze, R-Broken Arrow, was the center of a lawsuit by the ACLU. In September, an Oklahoma County judge dismissed the suit, which sought the statue's removal.

The ACLU claimed the monument violated the state constitution's ban against using public property to support a religion, but the judge disagreed, ruling the monument can stay.

In response to the destruction of the monument, the ACLU released a statement Friday, calling the vandalism outrageous.

The ACLU of Oklahoma and our clients are outraged at this apparent act of vandalism. While we have and continue to seek the removal of the Ten Commandments monument from the Capitol grounds through the judicial process, the Ten Commandments constitute a strong foundation in our clients’ deeply held religious beliefs. To see the Ten Commandments desecrated by vandals is highly offensive to them as people of faith. Our Oklahoma and Federal Constitutions seek to create a society in which people of all faiths and those of no faith at all can coexist as equals without fear of repressions from the government or their neighbors. Whether it is politicians using religion as a political tool or vandals desecrating religious symbols, neither are living up to the full promise of our founding documents.

Ryan Kiesel

Oklahoma Executive Director, ACLU

Governor Mary Fallin has already promised to help raise funds to restore the monument. The governor said it's appalling anything would be vandalized at the Capitol, "much less a monument of such significance."

"Our monument will be rebuilt and restored,” said Fallin. “The people of Oklahoma will not stand for acts of violence against the Capitol or its monuments.”

ten1.JPG

Link to article

Let's add this to the list of HOW NOT TO HANDLE A SITUATION YOU DON'T LIKE.

I have my own opinions about having religious icons on gov. property but I find this deplorable.

Regardless of it being religious - it was someone's hard work, someone's finances paid for it and it was beautiful.

Nibs

• Like 4

Well personally....I think it's a mistake. They are asking for flashback.

IF the GOV uses any public money to restore the ten commandments monument, someone is going to get their panties in a bunch...count on it. They should allow the local religious organizations to take donations to repair it. If they use public money, the old "separation of church and state" will come to the surface...I can see it coming.

If a private group volunteers to replace it or fix it...that is perfectly fine and acceptable and no one should be able to b!tch about it....though I am sure someone will anyway. They will argue it should never have been there and now is the perfect opportunity to remove it and leave it gone...

Unless the driver was not insured we already know who has to pay for this: The driver or the driver's insurance (if proven that he did not do it on purpose). So all the fund collecting will go towards something else.

But then, that is the knee-jerk reaction of all social organizations: something breaks, start a collection.

• Like 1

They didn't say it but I'm thinking this was done with a stolen vehicle since although they had the car they were looking for information to find out who did it. This was on public land which is no doubt insured. Problem solved. If that statue of baphomet goes up I wonder what kind of revenge will be taken on it?

• Like 1

I think this was a mistake to state....

An investigation is underway by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol into the "malicious destruction of state property," according to OHP spokesman Capt. George Brown.

No suspects so....the driver's insurance is out.

"We'll process the scene and suspect vehicle to further the investigation in hopes of locating the responsible party," said Brown.

I would not call it state property...I would say it was "private property on display on public property"...calling it "state property" is going to be used against them in the old fight. By saying it was private property on public display, the separate themselves from the "separation debate" and assume some responsibility as caretakers of private property.

ETA...

It does appear the GOV is planning on helping "raise funds" and not pay out of state funds...I missed this the first time through...

Governor Mary Fallin has already promised to help Ritze raise funds to restore the monument. The governor said it's appalling anything would be vandalized at the Capitol, "much less a monument of such significance."

Edited by Jeremiah65

that stone is about 10k, the most, i mean that is what a stone cutting shop would charge, my friend has a buissnes like that, he makes tombstones for cemetaries. this is actually very simple and straightforward carving. i've seen a lot more elaborate, and complicated stones, but i'm sure if state does it, it will cost 10 times that much.

Unless the driver was not insured we already know who has to pay for this:

no, they wont pay, it was not an accident, and the car was stolen, ins. does not cover it. they will however cover the damage the car sustained, if it had full coverage policy

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

@jeremiah.

The separation of church and state is pretty cut and dry and does not mean you can't have a religious statue on government land. It just says congress shall make no laws respecting an establishment of religion nor prohibit the free exercise of religion. And a judge has already ruled that this monument did not violate that.

• Like 1

Thou shalt not drive whilst inebriated.

• Like 4

Like I posted on some of the articles themselves, if this heinous villain isn't between my fridge and couch, he's pretty much free.

The statue was paid for and donated by another politician and installed there - still illegally. If they spend a dime trying to find this guy instead of helping people here like they're supposed to as their JOB, they're giving every single American and especially every Oklahoman the finger and making it clear they don't care an ounce about the actual problems of the PEOPLE. I'm glad it's destroyed, they can move on to ACTUAL issues that affect other people besides the politicians and their corrupt property.

Edited by Paranormalcy

Now if I was with the Church of Satan, or the Hindus that also asked if a statue representing their faith could also get constructed, then I'd do the neighbourly thing, and offer to help pay for repairs to this monument. Why? Because not only would that act of niceness really annoy the living daylights out of the more "god fearing" types, but would really also stick to any detractors refusing to allow any other religious linked monument being put up.

But then again I just do so enjoy annoying the more pious types out there... :-*

• Like 1