Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How trustworthy is what you read online?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: How much do you trust information on the internet? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

How much do you trust information on the internet? Select your confidence level on the trustworthiness of what you read online. 1 being very untrustworthy, 6 being very trustworthy.

1. 1 (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

2. 2 (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. 3 (9 votes [40.91%])

Percentage of vote: 40.91%

4. 4 (8 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

5. 5 (1 votes [4.55%])

6. 6 (1 votes [4.55%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,208 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

And for everyone saying they only trust certain sources ,....most of those sources are owned by certain parties,and are sponsored by certain parties ,that they cannot say anything against ,or against their interests,lest they lose all their funding .

Most major news stations are such entities.
Channel 11 news in nyc has said,we cannot ever do true reports on prescription drug dangers,or we would lose all our sponsors .
Who do you think pays for your daily news program ?
All the companies who's drug commercials they show all day long .

Saying off the beaten path news sources are not capable to be true,is exactly what they want you to think .
Half the news ,especially about govt ,war and terrorism ,is all false propaganda .

But hey,believe what you want ,while watching all those commercials for ******* and celebrex and every other drug company  that owns your local news station .... .

http://rense.com/general57/INTENE.HTM

All dragons know that story.
What was to be their hope became their doom; a spoiled ungrateful child was given a great gift and destroyed it!

#17    karmakazi

karmakazi

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

• Mirror, mirror on the floor, am I the prettiest at the store? -BLR

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

I feel there is a slight advantage in being able to view the group consensus.  When you're actively searching for information you find three things - the two extremes of thought on the subject and then mostly ideas that fall somewhere in the middle (the most likely to be accurate).  If you look up a specific kind of car for example, you'll find people who hate it, people who love it, and then some honest and realistic evaluations.

Except for reviews of apartments...in my experience they frequently are skewed to the negative.  I've read some where people claimed the apartment complex they lived in was practically hell on earth, but when I lived in the same complex (s) I thought it was very nice and enjoyed my time there.

Of course reading info on the internet only provides sound information if you can approach it logically and understand that it is, in fact, the internet.  People can write whatever they want so I always read as many different opinions as I can and look for the facts within them to form my own opinion.

Nothing is true.  Everything is permitted.
If video games start making sense is it a sign of the end?

The Journey

#18    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

People under-estimate just how reliable a source Wikipedia is. The average amount of mistakes per page (or subject, rather) for an encyclopedia like Britannica or something similar is 3, while Wikipedia sits at 4 per page. This is referring to science articles. Hardly what you would call a massive difference.

Edit - http://slashdot.org/...d-to-britannica

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 25 January 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#19    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,367 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

What you learned on internet sources such as Wikipedia (the increasingly undependable online resource) should be taken with a "grain of salt", and Wikipedia uncovered some old hoaxes or unproven events laying around on their site like the Upper Peninsula War and Bicholim Conflict.

Important is be careful when you meet somebody you only knew or fraternized over the internet, like the GEICO commercial shown a woman met a man of her dreams does not look like his online dating site profile. :-*

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#20    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostTsa-La-Gie Oyate, on 25 January 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

What you learned on internet sources such as Wikipedia (the increasingly undependable online resource) should be taken with a "grain of salt", and Wikipedia uncovered some old hoaxes or unproven events laying around on their site like the Upper Peninsula War and Bicholim Conflict.

From an academical stand-point, all information, whether it is read from secondary sources such as encyclopaedias or primary sources such as journal articles, must be taken with a "grain of salt". All information should be verified. This is not exclusive to the internet.

#21    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,495 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

anywhere from 1 to 8... it only depends on the source.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users