Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Cthulu Real ?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,673 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 16 October 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Iv never heard of the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu game. I learn something new everytime I get on here :tu: :tu:
It's a really fun RPG game. It can have a high mortality rate if you're not careful however. :gun:

Always be sure your character does not read or speak arabic, ancient greek or latin, and your chances of staying sane are much higher. And... don't listen to anyone who does read from an old book written in one of those languages. And always remember... you don't have to outrun the monsters, you just have to outrun your fellow characters. :innocent:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#47    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 17 October 2012 - 12:50 AM, said:

It's a really fun RPG game. It can have a high mortality rate if you're not careful however. :gun:

Always be sure your character does not read or speak arabic, ancient greek or latin, and your chances of staying sane are much higher. And... don't listen to anyone who does read from an old book written in one of those languages. And always remember... you don't have to outrun the monsters, you just have to outrun your fellow characters. :innocent:

Players are so fragile in that game, the best fun is to introduce a bunch of D&D players to it and watch them charge in with guns and die in a few rounds.
Good old hamstringing.  Can be achieved with a pistol shot do.  Not to kill, just the kneecap.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#48    Erowin

Erowin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• This is incredibly silly!

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

I'm not sure a creature large enough to make the bloop could even exist. It would require a MASSIVE amount of food, and there isn't too many giant things to eat far down in the depths. There would also have to be a breeding population, so that means at least 300 or so of these things, all needing a ridiculous amount of food... I just dont't think something that big could support itself. I know there were Megalodons and we have giant squids, but this thing would be may more massive. I remember reading that to make a call that loud, the voice box would need to be the size of a small house. JUST THE VOICE BOX.

Basically the bloop and 'julia' are likely caused by a natural event and aren't vocalizations at all.

#49    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

Why is it necessary for there to breeding a population? Considering numbers are dwindling for the species we can observe, isn't it possible for "The Bloop", if it were a beast, to be one of the last of its kind? Due in part to humans maybe murdering its primary food source?

A "breeding" population never rules anything out in a world where we can observe animals that lack one. At least, for now.

Posted Image

#50    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

View PostXetan, on 17 October 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

Why is it necessary for there to breeding a population? Considering numbers are dwindling for the species we can observe, isn't it possible for "The Bloop", if it were a beast, to be one of the last of its kind? Due in part to humans maybe murdering its primary food source?

A "breeding" population never rules anything out in a world where we can observe animals that lack one. At least, for now.

Sure, Xetan - its possible that if an animal made the bloop noise, that it could be the very last one.  I can get on board with that.  I suppose the crux of the argument is that what we really have here is one single bit of audio (yes there are other large, unidentified bits of audio - but they aren't the same sound signature and so are different bits of evidence), that comes from something that has yet to be determined.  I'm relatively uneducated in the grand scheme of things, and so I won't go too far into speculating about things I have little experience in.  I do know however that the earth itself makes many noises (pops, groans, long rumbles) due to the seismic and tectonic processes that are always happening.

In my mind, it is simply more likely that the bloop would be one of those known processes than it would be to be a gigantic sea creature.  Not impossible - I won't ever say that, because that's stupid and closed minded, at least in my opinion.  I like to think of things in terms of what is more or less likely.  That's where my comfort level is.  I'm open to the possibility that someone could someday connect the bloop by a chain of evidence to a giant unknown sea-beast.  It could sure happen.  For now though, I'll stick with what seems more likely and requires the simplest explanation.

#51    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

I find it more likely to have been some kind of air pocket being released suddenly, or a temperature disturbance on the ocean floor.

I just don't like people using circumstantial rationales to support either side of a debate, and I try to stomp them out as thoroughly as I can.

Posted Image

#52    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 17 October 2012 - 12:50 AM, said:

Sounds awsome Ill look it up

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#53    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hey speaking of Chthulu have any of you ever read any of the comic books relating to him ??

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users