Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Curiosity breaks rock to reveal dazzling

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,608 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 20 March 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

It looks like they have, see here: Curiosity Rover Exits 'Safe Mode'.

That's good news!  That's why they load two computers onboard.  While at teh Virginia Air and Space Center I talked to one of the reps from JPL that was visiting for a demo on the day before the landing and asked her why they used such relatively antiquated computers with Power-PC CPU's.  She explained that nearly all missions use these computers because they are incredibly reliable and proven, fully hardened against radiation and are very well understood and known.

View Postmarcos anthony toledo, on 20 March 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

It is interesting all these glitches Curiosity has been having of late. I wonder what NASA is trying to cover up about life on Mars. Especially since it is really under the boot of the military masquerading as a civilian agency.

What is more interesting is how incredibly reliable and successful this mission has been.  The computer glitches are the first real problem the Rover has had and they put two identicakl computers onboard for just this reason.  Curiosity is arguably the most complex machine that has ever landed on another planet so one would expect myriad problems yet the thing has operated flawlessly till Computer A dumped.  They brought Computer B up and it hiccupped and then came back on-line and they are fully functional again.  It has basically completed its mission already and is now on to other science yet you guys want to cry cover-up.  Why?   You should be applauding the openness of the data delivered and the truly remarkable science this machine is doing on another planet.

Edited by Merc14, 20 March 2013 - 05:20 PM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#17    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

Would be funny if this is paint from the rover, lol!

#18    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

Possibly more evidence of a wet past. So, are these geological finds more indicative of random hits of asteroids and comets than of a once large body of water? Is Curiosity equipped to determine if the isotopic composition of these samples varies from location to location on Mars? If so, then that insight might provide some evidence of more random and isolated hits of watery asteroids and comets. Alternatively, if a large body of water existed, perhaps there is yet hope that it can be found in some measurable quantity.

#19    SYNAPSE

SYNAPSE

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

ALKA-SELTZER !  NO JOKE~!  MAY BE A NOT SO OLD CHEM REAC ANY SIGNS OF FROZEN SINGS?

#20    SYNAPSE

SYNAPSE

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

I MEAN SINGS CLUE SINGLE IMPACTED?

#21    First-time Human

First-time Human

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• It's good to know I'm here for me

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

After having a good look at the enlarged photo, what I found MORE interesting is all the little rocks around it.. They're all smoothed out, like we find in creek beds, polished smooth by the flowing of water.
Isn't this a bigger indication of previous flowing water on Mars??  What else can cause smooth rocks like that??

***SNIP***

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 21 March 2013 - 10:02 AM.
removed drug reference.

Hmmmmmmm.... Interesting!

#22    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,812 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostFirst-time Human, on 21 March 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

After having a good look at the enlarged photo, what I found MORE interesting is all the little rocks around it.. They're all smoothed out, like we find in creek beds, polished smooth by the flowing of water.
Isn't this a bigger indication of previous flowing water on Mars??  What else can cause smooth rocks like that??

***SNIP***
You are a little behind the times. NASA announced that Curiosity had discovered a stream bed back in September (see HERE).

That water has flowed on Mars in the past is not the big news here, that has been known for sometime, it's whether the conditions existed that were suitable for life in the past. Soil analysis carried out by the Mars Phoenix Lander showed high levels of perchlorate and suggested highly contaminated water and an environment unfriendly for life.

The latest Curiosity discoveries suggest not only that there was water on Mars, but that this water was fresh. One of the scientists suggested that it would have been pure enough to drink. That suggests an environment conducive to life.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#23    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

It's beautiful!  I want one!  Gonna put it on a chain and wear it every where!  Bling!

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#24    Red Howler

Red Howler

Angry werewolf girl

• 1,321 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Could that white interior be a lot of crystals?

#25    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

yeah we all now already that life existed on mars and that there is still some water left.but nothing new to really read here.i have rocks in my house too

#26    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,812 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostAndromedan Starseed 333, on 21 March 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

yeah we all now already that life existed on mars
No we don't.

There is no evidence which unequivicably shows that there is life now or even was in the past. That doesn't mean it isn't there, but without evidence we certainly can't say that we know it is there.

Some of us can grasp the difference between knowledge and belief and some of us can't.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 22 March 2013 - 03:20 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#27    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,042 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

Well the first step in Finding the Life is Looking for the Life,the Next step will be to believe that is is life that one is looking at. :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users