Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Voices

maxxy

From time to time I hear a whispering voice call my name. Its when I lay down and close my eyes to sleep for the night . As soon as I am comfortable I here a voice whispering my name. Im the only one in the house. It did happen once when I was awake and someone was here and heard it. How do I find out who they are and what they want?

if you genuinely believe its a spirit try talking back while recording what happens, but you have to look at other possibilities aswell like do you have neighbors that could be talking and it sounds like your name.

My initial reaction would be to consult a psychiatrist immediately. If he/she cannot rule out any psychological issues, then my next step would be to consult a neurologist.

These are most-likely auditory hallucinations, which could be the result of something very serious occurring inside of your body.

My initial reaction would be to consult a psychiatrist immediately. If he/she cannot rule out any psychological issues, then my next step would be to consult a neurologist.

These are most-likely auditory hallucinations, which could be the result of something very serious occurring inside of your body.

My first thought too. I would definitely consult a healthcare professional to be on the safe side. If everything checks out fine with them, then explore other alternatives.

My first thought too. I would definitely consult a healthcare professional to be on the safe side. If everything checks out fine with them, then explore other alternatives.

I see these situations over-looked and passed off as being the result of something supernatural in nature all too often, when it could very well be something serious. This is why investing too much belief into the paranormal could be potentially detrimental to one's psyche, as well as their physical well-being.

I see these situations over-looked and passed off as being the result of something supernatural in nature all too often, when it could very well be something serious. This is why investing too much belief into the paranormal could be potentially detrimental to one's psyche, as well as their physical well-being.

It's better to be safe than sorry. Like I suggested, if everything checks out fine then they should feel comfortable to explore other options.

• 2 weeks later...

I had similar experiences as a child except the voice would yell my name rather than whisper it. Only happened while I was asleep as well...

• 3 weeks later...

My initial reaction would be to consult a psychiatrist immediately.

Your average psychologist likes to play guessing games and hand out drugs. Hearing a whisper while going to bed is hardly schizophrenia.

If he/she cannot rule out any psychological issues, then my next step would be to consult a neurologist.

I'd go to the neurologist first. If there is a hallucination due to a bodily problem, you'd want a CT scan or MRI as soon as possible and that is not the realm of a psychologist who is far more likely to send you to the 6th floor of a hospital tied to a bed if you tell them you're hearing voices than anything else.

OTOH, I doubt any such advice is going to be helpful. I've had scans done of my head (for other reasons relating to sinus problems for the CT Scan and much later an MRI after getting Bell's Palsy) and the scans were perfectly clean (turns out I did have a sinus issue but it wasn't something that would show on a scan since there was no infection, just pressure near the nose/eye).

In any case, I don't find her case that unusual. I used to hear my voice "on the wind" as a child when I was outdoors and I know other people that did as well. Many a time I've woken up in the early morning or middle of the night to hear what sounds like a radio station either playing music or something like talk radio, but I normally can't make out what the voices are saying. It's like they're in the next room through a wall or something. Heck, my own mother has experienced this before even, so I don't think it's THAT unusual. It's far more likely to be a waking dream-like state or some other altered state since it happens when either going to sleep or waking up from sleep. Things like waking dreams and sleep paralysis are actually fairly common, although I can see why someone that never experienced them before would think otherwise, especially since it's not exactly common discussion on things like the 5 o'clock news. I've heard a voice whisper "Thank you" three times in my ear during sleep paralysis before. Was there a ghost in the room? I doubt it. Am I crazy? I doubt that too. Are either possible? As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't eliminate either as 100% impossible. Unknown is unknown, IMO.

Now other cases where I dreamed someone would die in a certain way and it happens exactly a week later...yeah I'm not so quick to write those experiences off as sheer chance and yes that did happen to me along with a couple of other strange instances outside my body like the television turning itself on and then channel surfing the cable box in a mostly underground family room on two different frequencies with older cable boxes that had no control from the cable company. Strange localized space/time anomaly? A quantum improbability caused by mysterious not yet proven boson particles? Is it coming from a 4th spatial dimensions suggested by String Theory? Heck, you could come up any "scientific" explanation you wanted to. Good luck proving it either way. Some things are just unexplained and stay that way. As Spock would say in Star Trek, it's fascinating.

Your average psychologist likes to play guessing games and hand out drugs. Hearing a whisper while going to bed is hardly schizophrenia.

I'd go to the neurologist first. If there is a hallucination due to a bodily problem, you'd want a CT scan or MRI as soon as possible and that is not the realm of a psychologist who is far more likely to send you to the 6th floor of a hospital tied to a bed if you tell them you're hearing voices than anything else.

OTOH, I doubt any such advice is going to be helpful. I've had scans done of my head (for other reasons relating to sinus problems for the CT Scan and much later an MRI after getting Bell's Palsy) and the scans were perfectly clean (turns out I did have a sinus issue but it wasn't something that would show on a scan since there was no infection, just pressure near the nose/eye).

In any case, I don't find her case that unusual. I used to hear my voice "on the wind" as a child when I was outdoors and I know other people that did as well. Many a time I've woken up in the early morning or middle of the night to hear what sounds like a radio station either playing music or something like talk radio, but I normally can't make out what the voices are saying. It's like they're in the next room through a wall or something. Heck, my own mother has experienced this before even, so I don't think it's THAT unusual. It's far more likely to be a waking dream-like state or some other altered state since it happens when either going to sleep or waking up from sleep. Things like waking dreams and sleep paralysis are actually fairly common, although I can see why someone that never experienced them before would think otherwise, especially since it's not exactly common discussion on things like the 5 o'clock news. I've heard a voice whisper "Thank you" three times in my ear during sleep paralysis before. Was there a ghost in the room? I doubt it. Am I crazy? I doubt that too. Are either possible? As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't eliminate either as 100% impossible. Unknown is unknown, IMO.

Now other cases where I dreamed someone would die in a certain way and it happens exactly a week later...yeah I'm not so quick to write those experiences off as sheer chance and yes that did happen to me along with a couple of other strange instances outside my body like the television turning itself on and then channel surfing the cable box in a mostly underground family room on two different frequencies with older cable boxes that had no control from the cable company. Strange localized space/time anomaly? A quantum improbability caused by mysterious not yet proven boson particles? Is it coming from a 4th spatial dimensions suggested by String Theory? Heck, you could come up any "scientific" explanation you wanted to. Good luck proving it either way. Some things are just unexplained and stay that way. As Spock would say in Star Trek, it's fascinating.

Whoa, who said anything about schizophrenia? Paranoid much? :P

And I can tell you either haven't ever been to a psychologist or you've had very bad experiences in the past because psychologists A) don't play 'guessing games' when it comes to others' mental wellbeing, B) don't hand out drugs whatsoever, and C) are far more understanding and helpful than you are giving them credit for. They don't want to lock you away unless you are a harm to yourself and/or society. There are many other reasons that someone would hear voices other than schizophrenia and a psychologist will explore all of those options.

Please get your facts straight before you go around bashing those that are there to help others. :tu:

Edit: there wasn't supposed to be a face with sunglasses, I was trying to make point B, lol.

Edited by I Am Not Resisting

And I can tell you either haven't ever been to a psychologist or you've had very bad experiences in the past because psychologists A)

Actually, I meant to type psychiatrist, but screwed it up when I was editing (and yes they often DO love to hand out drugs when you talk about weird experiences, namely anti-psychotics and then tell you to come back a few weeks later and see if they helped.

I've seen a psychologist about a personal problem before and because I didn't agree with his view on a given subject (it was religious-related and he started talking about the 10 Commandments as being really the "10 Commitments" at his church and because I didn't agree with his viewpoint, he decided he couldn't talk to me anymore and told my mother to take me to the hospital immediately for evaluation whereupon they proceeded to want to tie me down at first when I told them yes, I had thought about suicide before (until I pointed out this was a voluntary visit) and once I agreed to stay for a few days, they proceeded to give me all kinds of wacky drugs (none of which did much of anything but give me panic attacks). The psychiatrist assigned to me (who was Asian and an atheist as far as I can tell concluded my original topic of conversation with the psychologist about religious dogma that was bothering me was not my real problem and that I was actually just lonely and needed a girlfriend. At this point, I realized it was all a bunch of hog-wash. But the hospital visit pretty much scared me back to reality and I proceeded to start reading about other religions to get another perspective. I've since arrived at a much more spiritual and less religious view over the years.

You can write that off as two poor doctors, but I don't think my experience with psychiatrists is all that unique. They like drugs. A good psychologist might be helpful for some topics, but religion clearly wasn't one of them (yes I did try talking to pastors, ministers and priests first about my issues with dogmatic problems in religion that conflicted with my own feelings and scared the hell out or perhaps into me as a child). The problem with discussing religion with a person whose basis is in a scientific discipline is that they don't believe a word of it to begin with so they're going to ultimately come up with a conflicting viewpoint that you will find unacceptable if you have any logic about it what-so-ever (e.g. the attempt debunk a major cornerstone of both Judaism and Christianity with some kind of "it's all optional" rhetoric).

Please get your facts straight before you go around bashing those that are there to help others. :tu:

Your idea of helping others seems to be to tell them to go seek psychological help. I bet you never once even considered there might be other dimensions or life beyond this one. Hell, even string theory posits the possibility of a 4th spatial dimension and that 4th dimensional beings would be as strange to us from our 3d perspective on 2d vision as any ghost-like anomaly might appear (e.g. such a being could easily appear to walk through a wall from our viewpoint because we're only seeing one side of them moving across a dimension we cannot perceive directly). But such a thing would have NOTHING to do with a glitch in a person's brain. The fact that some people can perceive beyond the range of another persons' senses is not that unusual either. Dogs can hear far beyond the audible range of humans, for example. That science has not been able to prove extra-sensory perception does not preclude its existence or that of other dimensions.

Actually, I meant to type psychiatrist, but screwed it up when I was editing (and yes they often DO love to hand out drugs when you talk about weird experiences, namely anti-psychotics and then tell you to come back a few weeks later and see if they helped.

I've seen a psychologist about a personal problem before and because I didn't agree with his view on a given subject (it was religious-related and he started talking about the 10 Commandments as being really the "10 Commitments" at his church and because I didn't agree with his viewpoint, he decided he couldn't talk to me anymore and told my mother to take me to the hospital immediately for evaluation whereupon they proceeded to want to tie me down at first when I told them yes, I had thought about suicide before (until I pointed out this was a voluntary visit) and once I agreed to stay for a few days, they proceeded to give me all kinds of wacky drugs (none of which did much of anything but give me panic attacks). The psychiatrist assigned to me (who was Asian and an atheist as far as I can tell concluded my original topic of conversation with the psychologist about religious dogma that was bothering me was not my real problem and that I was actually just lonely and needed a girlfriend. At this point, I realized it was all a bunch of hog-wash. But the hospital visit pretty much scared me back to reality and I proceeded to start reading about other religions to get another perspective. I've since arrived at a much more spiritual and less religious view over the years.

You can write that off as two poor doctors, but I don't think my experience with psychiatrists is all that unique. They like drugs. A good psychologist might be helpful for some topics, but religion clearly wasn't one of them (yes I did try talking to pastors, ministers and priests first about my issues with dogmatic problems in religion that conflicted with my own feelings and scared the hell out or perhaps into me as a child). The problem with discussing religion with a person whose basis is in a scientific discipline is that they don't believe a word of it to begin with so they're going to ultimately come up with a conflicting viewpoint that you will find unacceptable if you have any logic about it what-so-ever (e.g. the attempt debunk a major cornerstone of both Judaism and Christianity with some kind of "it's all optional" rhetoric).

Two things: First, yes, I do think you had some horrible doctors. I'm not saying all people in the psychological field are amazing and understanding. Yes you will get some like you described that seem to not give a rat's butt what happens to you. It sucks, it's not right, but it happens. Second, you say that psychiatrists like to hand out drugs...well yeah, that's their job! It's the job of the psychologist to mainly do the talking aspect. People that seek the help of a psychiatrist do so for the sole fact of medication.

Your idea of helping others seems to be to tell them to go seek psychological help. I bet you never once even considered there might be other dimensions or life beyond this one. Hell, even string theory posits the possibility of a 4th spatial dimension and that 4th dimensional beings would be as strange to us from our 3d perspective on 2d vision as any ghost-like anomaly might appear (e.g. such a being could easily appear to walk through a wall from our viewpoint because we're only seeing one side of them moving across a dimension we cannot perceive directly). But such a thing would have NOTHING to do with a glitch in a person's brain. The fact that some people can perceive beyond the range of another persons' senses is not that unusual either. Dogs can hear far beyond the audible range of humans, for example. That science has not been able to prove extra-sensory perception does not preclude its existence or that of other dimensions.

Yes, my idea of helping others who say they are hearing voices is to seek help from a healthcare professional. In my initial posts I never said they should soley seek psychological help. I would much rather rule out the more harmful and/or treatable causes of this happening than just blowing it off to ghosts or other dimensions.

And yes, I have taken the time to learn about multiple dimensions that you're referring to. However, without any sort of tangible proof, I find it easily dismissable. You assume I haven't ever considered it, well, you know what they say about assumptions right? :innocent:

I know I don't see any point of you being on these forums. These forums aren't about mental disorders, after all and you admit that you just flat out dismiss other possibilities and hence I have to wonder why you're even on a site about unexplained mysteries. You seem to have your explanation. We're all nuts to even consider such things.

I know I don't see any point of you being on these forums. These forums aren't about mental disorders, after all and you admit that you just flat out dismiss other possibilities and hence I have to wonder why you're even on a site about unexplained mysteries. You seem to have your explanation. We're all nuts to even consider such things.

Lol, well to each his own. Just FYI, there are other sections within this forum that have nothing to do with the unexplained. Someone posted on here asking for opinions and, if you take the time to actually read what I first posted, you'll find that I suggested they seek help from a healthcare professional first, in order to rule out any harmful or easily treatable causes and then I encouraged them to freely seek and look into the other options. Just because I dismiss something doesn't mean I'm going to encourage others who truely feel like something is real to do the same. Yes I'm a skeptic when it comes to the paranormal and other unexplained mysteries but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't accept hard proof with open arms. When it comes to most of that stuff, I would like to believe, but logically cannot. Please don't judge others before you truely know their stance, it makes you look like a horse's butt. :tu:

Edited by I Am Not Resisting

From time to time I hear a whispering voice call my name. Its when I lay down and close my eyes to sleep for the night . As soon as I am comfortable I here a voice whispering my name. Im the only one in the house. It did happen once when I was awake and someone was here and heard it. How do I find out who they are and what they want?

I have to tell you that I'm very proud of the responses that have been presented here! I was beginning to lose faith in this community as ALL too often people come seeking help and guidance with a situation just like the OP's and ALL too often people on here completely ignore the OP's well-being and jump straight to something paranormal. So good job my fellow UMers!! :tu:

Now, to you Maxxy, the answer you are looking for has already been given here. You need to seek medical attention as soon as possible. I have my Bachtoral in Psychology and do believe you need to see a psychologist as quickly as possible. If they cannot help you a good psychologist will refer you to a neurologist and other specialty doctors to get to the bottom of this.

Please, take care of yourself and your mental/physical health before ever jumping to the paranormal. After all, once you've crossed off ALL rational and logical explanations, you can then start to seek other forms of possibilities. Just seek the professional help first! Cheers my friend!

next time it happens, say "what?"

Do you hear your name whispered over and over, or just once?

Does the voice remind you of anyone you know (alive or dead)?

I have experienced this while awake, for me it would sound like my father or mother. It would be very faint, but intoned as if they where calling me from another room in the house (few times I even had to check to make sure). This even occured when no one was in the house. Experienced this maybe a dozen times in a year (when I was younger), and it was only ever my name being called. For me im not sure what it was, it wasn't a brain disorder though. I think on that note you should only be wary if the voice starts telling you to do things. As for the supernatural, no idea.

Ignore all the amateur psychiatrists here.(Id love to know where they all got their MD degrees)

In any case,its quite common ,nothing to worry about unless weird,and I mean weird events accompany it.

Tell it to go away .

I had similar experiences as a child except the voice would yell my name rather than whisper it. Only happened while I was asleep as well...

It usually happens when you are younger,and more susceptible.

It used to happen to me all the time.Through my teens.Quite unnerving actually.

I just started telling it to F off,and it stopped.

Ignore all the amateur psychiatrists here.(Id love to know where they all got their MD degrees)

In any case,its quite common ,nothing to worry about unless weird,and I mean weird events accompany it.

Tell it to go away .

Pretty sure no one said they were a psychiatrist. The OP is more than welcome to ignore any advice given, but those of us who suggested seeking help from a healthcare professional do so for the benefit of the OP. I'd hate for anyone to ignore that advice and then it turns out there is something seriously wrong with their health. Unless you know for a fact that their health is not in danger, please don't tell someone to ignore it just because you think it's wrong. Like I said before, once they have any medical issues ruled out, I think they should be happy to explore other options. :tu:

What I think the self-proclaimed skeptics and psychologists on here MISSED is that the OP said, "It did happen once when I was awake and someone was here and heard it.". Gee, unless the OP developed ventriloquism or this "someone else" was an imaginary friend, I think we can rule out the brain disorders. And certain people who like to call names (which proves to me how little they are and verify to me I'm right about them) wonder why I get peeved about the constant barrage of self-proclaimed medical experts in these forums about unexplained mysteries. I think if they though they were sick, they'd visit another forum.

I know it's hard for some people to believe that there are more things in this Universe than the human eye can normally perceive, but then people used to think the world was flat and the Earth was the center of the Universe too. People are ignorant and too many so-called scientists dismiss their training to not judge, but observe and are the first in line to tell you there's nothing after death, God doesn't exist and we all evolved from a common ancestor of the apes, YET the very idea that we could be a genetic experiment of aliens (despite most of the early cultures we do know about on Earth all having their own Sky God myths and the fact that most mythos are based on actual events of some kind. Yes, that's utterly preposterous (but the ape thing isn't despite any direct evidence of it, the so-called "missing link" stages in-between ape and human or some commons precursor to the ape. We've got dinosaurs out the yin-yang from MILLIONS of years ago, but no humans from 50 thousand years ago; the oldest I've ever seen a claim for is 24 thousand in Japan). Yes, I'm convinced some people wouldn't believe they had hair on their head if they hadn't seen their own reflection, but I'm supposed to buy into the Higgs Boson "God" particle even though the world's largest and most expensive super collider has thus far turned up SQUAT. Apparently, some "theories" are total crap and others just aren't proven YET. :tu:

• Like 1

What I think the self-proclaimed skeptics and psychologists on here MISSED is that the OP said, "It did happen once when I was awake and someone was here and heard it.". Gee, unless the OP developed ventriloquism or this "someone else" was an imaginary friend, I think we can rule out the brain disorders. And certain people who like to call names (which proves to me how little they are and verify to me I'm right about them) wonder why I get peeved about the constant barrage of self-proclaimed medical experts in these forums about unexplained mysteries. I think if they though they were sick, they'd visit another forum.

I know it's hard for some people to believe that there are more things in this Universe than the human eye can normally perceive, but then people used to think the world was flat and the Earth was the center of the Universe too. People are ignorant and too many so-called scientists dismiss their training to not judge, but observe and are the first in line to tell you there's nothing after death, God doesn't exist and we all evolved from a common ancestor of the apes, YET the very idea that we could be a genetic experiment of aliens (despite most of the early cultures we do know about on Earth all having their own Sky God myths and the fact that most mythos are based on actual events of some kind. Yes, that's utterly preposterous (but the ape thing isn't despite any direct evidence of it, the so-called "missing link" stages in-between ape and human or some commons precursor to the ape. We've got dinosaurs out the yin-yang from MILLIONS of years ago, but no humans from 50 thousand years ago; the oldest I've ever seen a claim for is 24 thousand in Japan). Yes, I'm convinced some people wouldn't believe they had hair on their head if they hadn't seen their own reflection, but I'm supposed to buy into the Higgs Boson "God" particle even though the world's largest and most expensive super collider has thus far turned up SQUAT. Apparently, some "theories" are total crap and others just aren't proven YET. :tu:

Damn, good call, I need to re-work on my mindfulness lol, if someone else heard the called name then I'd say that is a game changer.

Well, here's my two cents. It is possible that you experienced some spiritual activity. Whoever it is, its your choice if you want to make contact. Do not underestimate the power of ignoring such phenomenon. From what I've heard a spirits ability to contact you is highly limited, most of the time they require "help" (some of your energy, maybe intent) to manifest. It might not even be a "good or evil" type thing, it might just be some bored, attention seeking, earth bound spirit.

A good example: I knew someone who claimed to be "psychic". She related to me a memory of a two little girls (sisters) that followed her around, especially when she went to school (apperently she can see spirits [on occasion] without the requirement of manifestation). Apperently, they were "bored" at this persons house, so they would follow her to school. One time she burst out laughing during a test, because when she looked up the girls were hopping around from desk to desk and making faces at the students. After that she would leave the television on a kids channel in her bedroom, so they wouldn't follow her around so much (the girls were in the house before she moved there, and after making a connection with her they started following her to school).

Bottom line: if it makes you uncomfortable, then ignore it and it will go away. If you think maybe this entity is important for you, try to acknowledge it (when you acknowledge it, you instinctually beginning tuning in to it. Its like spiritual affermation). Unfortunatly, when you open yourself to such things its all or nothing; good and bad can contact you. For some people its just better to ignore this stuff and live their lives.

About a month ago my son woke up in the middle of the night, hearing a voice calling his son's name. He got up to check on his son, and everything seemed to be OK. Upon my advice he spoke cautiously to his son about the voice, not wanting to scare the 8 year old, but wanted more information. My grandson told his dad he'd been having conversations with the ??? for 3 years, and wasn't in the least bit frightened or apprehensive. Around the same time they & a neighbor twice saw a moving shadow in their bathroom, but no one knows whether it's connected with who/whatever has been talking to my grandson.

This kind of thing is not unusual in my family; while we understand that not everyone experiences the world the way we do, neither do we happily entertain ideas that we need some kind of psychiatric or medical help. We all believe in a power greater than ourselves, but don't spend much time trying to define it. If it enhances our lives, which so far it has always done, then we use it as another source of information, but in the end always use our intelligence, experience, knowledge, and intuition to guide us on our path.

• Like 1

I had insomnia for a while, and I would often hear things from metal smashing together, to scratching on doors and whispering voices (I had no idea what they were saying) So I can only assume that it's a hallucination, seek medical help.

To find out who they are and what they want, just ask, when/if you next hear the voice. Maybe you'll get a reply. In my experience, these kinds of conversations usually occur in an ESP-like manner, instead of a vocal conversation, with whole ideas, concepts, pictures just sort of popping into one's mind. Bringing your questions here allows you to get some feedback & perspectives different from yours, as well as gather information. If you want more information, there are lot of books. Inform & educate yourself, think about it, then reach your own conclusions, and trust your own judgement, instincts, & intuition.