Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sightings from Skeptics

Sakari

I am sure there is a similar topic like this one, but who knows.

A lot of people still think "skeptics" are this group of people standing in corners shaking their heads no , and waving their index fingers in the air.Some people think skeptics have not experienced things, and just refuse to believe anything because of this.In reality, I believe a lot of skeptics have experienced things, but do not jump to conclusions on it.

I am asking the skeptics here to share anything they may have experienced, and not asking for a debate on what they could have seen, nor a debate on skeptics vs believers.Maybe a way to show we also experience things, but we look at them in a different way, and find explanations.( not all of the time )

I will start , and I have 3 I will share ( I have 5 total, but this is good enough for now )

1. Lake Almanore 2003ish -

Myself, brother in Law, and wife outside on the deck at night.My brother in law a huge plane buff, and pilot.Dude can name every plane that flies by.We both see a very bright white triangular shaped light in the western sky.It was moving pretty fast, took about 45 seconds to make it across the horizon west to east.He said it looked very high in altitude, and we were both saying " WTF ".The only way I can describe it is if you held your thumb up, it was the size of your thumbnail, and seemed the same altitude as satelites that we see all the time.My wife was no help, she had been drinking and just gave us crap about it.

2. Sparks,Nevada 1995 -

My son and daughter ran into the house at around 2 PM, Summer sunny day.They were both freaking out about flying saucers.I went outside and made them go also to show me.They pointed up and said " they are almost gone".I could see 3 silver metalic very,very,small ball shaped objects at a very high altitude.They seemed to move around each other in a very fast pace, and not in a constant motion.I could only see them for about 15 seconds.

3. Port Orford , Oregon - 2009

Out on the dock in the restaurant.Myself, wife, best friend, and his wife.We were the only people in there, it was close to closing.Wooden chairs and tables and floor.This is a dry dock, not a floating dock.A loud sound ( same as farting in a wooden or plastic chair ) came out, and yes, this is normal with my friends.I said " damn Kevin, good one", he said " wasn't me, that bottle on that table just moved".

It happened again, I was not in position to see it, my wife,his wife,and him saw it move both times.

It moved out from in between the salt and pepper shakers.

Me being me went and looked at everything.I slid the bottle also myself, and it did make that sound, had a sort of grooved bottom.

This one to this day I have no answer for.They are convinced it was a "Ghost " , and kept on with Dinner, no biggie to them.

Anyway, there is my start......

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arenee

• booNyzarC

• Sakari

• mattryan209

I am sure there is a similar topic like this one, but who knows.

A lot of people still think "skeptics" are this group of people standing in corners shaking their heads no , and waving their index fingers in the air.Some people think skeptics have not experienced things, and just refuse to believe anything because of this.In reality, I believe a lot of skeptics have experienced things, but do not jump to conclusions on it.

I am asking the skeptics here to share anything they may have experienced, and not asking for a debate on what they could have seen, nor a debate on skeptics vs believers.Maybe a way to show we also experience things, but we look at them in a different way, and find explanations.( not all of the time )

I will start , and I have 3 I will share ( I have 5 total, but this is good enough for now )

1. Lake Almanore 2003ish -

Myself, brother in Law, and wife outside on the deck at night.My brother in law a huge plane buff, and pilot.Dude can name every plane that flies by.We both see a very bright white triangular shaped light in the western sky.It was moving pretty fast, took about 45 seconds to make it across the horizon west to east.He said it looked very high in altitude, and we were both saying " WTF ".The only way I can describe it is if you held your thumb up, it was the size of your thumbnail, and seemed the same altitude as satelites that we see all the time.My wife was no help, she had been drinking and just gave us crap about it.

2. Sparks,Nevada 1995 -

My son and daughter ran into the house at around 2 PM, Summer sunny day.They were both freaking out about flying saucers.I went outside and made them go also to show me.They pointed up and said " they are almost gone".I could see 3 silver metalic very,very,small ball shaped objects at a very high altitude.They seemed to move around each other in a very fast pace, and not in a constant motion.I could only see them for about 15 seconds.

3. Port Orford , Oregon - 2009

Out on the dock in the restaurant.Myself, wife, best friend, and his wife.We were the only people in there, it was close to closing.Wooden chairs and tables and floor.This is a dry dock, not a floating dock.A loud sound ( same as farting in a wooden or plastic chair ) came out, and yes, this is normal with my friends.I said " damn Kevin, good one", he said " wasn't me, that bottle on that table just moved".

It happened again, I was not in position to see it, my wife,his wife,and him saw it move both times.

It moved out from in between the salt and pepper shakers.

Me being me went and looked at everything.I slid the bottle also myself, and it did make that sound, had a sort of grooved bottom.

This one to this day I have no answer for.They are convinced it was a "Ghost " , and kept on with Dinner, no biggie to them.

Anyway, there is my start......

I've been experiencing knocking on my bedroom door after I've gone to bed. Two nights ago I awoke to a voice whispering, "I'm at your door." Then my son also awoke (yes, my baby boy sleeps with me...sue me) and there was a knock on my door again. Nothings ever there though.

My son has been seeing a man in his room and he's very afraid to even go in there anymore. None of my friends will go in their either because they have seen or experienced something. I think it is this man who is knocking on my door.

Good thread idea Sakari, and your restaurant account reminded me of a similar (almost identical, sans the sound...) occurrence I experienced. I was having dinner with my ex-wife in Corvallis, OR at a Chinese Restaurant. I estimate that this was between 1994 and 1996, give or take a couple of years...

I had asked for a pitcher of water and the waiter brought one over, filled my glass, and left it on the table. After a few minutes of talking, the pitcher just moved all by itself across the table about 4 or 5 inches. Neither of us had bumped the table or anything. We both looked at it in total shock. In the moment I wasn't sure what to think, but ghost was definitely something that crossed my mind as a possibility.

My thoughts at this point are that condensation from the pitcher had gathered around the base and that the table wasn't completely level. Gravity just did the rest. I do distinctly recall that the outside of the pitcher was visibly wet from condensation and so was the table along the path of the slide. Could be the same thing with your bottle?

I'll tell my UFO story later... ;) It's a fun one. :P

I've been experiencing knocking on my bedroom door after I've gone to bed. Two nights ago I awoke to a voice whispering, "I'm at your door." Then my son also awoke (yes, my baby boy sleeps with me...sue me) and there was a knock on my door again. Nothings ever there though.

My son has been seeing a man in his room and he's very afraid to even go in there anymore. None of my friends will go in their either because they have seen or experienced something. I think it is this man who is knocking on my door.

Crikey! That's an odd experience indeed...

I think you should set up a web cam in your bedroom and record every night.

Crikey! That's an odd experience indeed...

I think you should set up a web cam in your bedroom and record every night.

I look forward to your UFO story friend but thanks for ruining and debunking your ghost story immediately. :P

Not sure what to do about this one though as I'm kind of a wuss and am not sure I'd want to actually see it. If I close the door at night it's open in the morning. I did this as a test and apparently something is opening it. I'm not sure what. Whatever this is, it's causing none of my friends to want to stay the night with me. My son hates his room and he's terrified to go in there. At first I thought it was just childhood imagination until my mom saw something, my two friends saw something and another friend walked in there and walked right back out saying he felt very uncomfortable. Whatever it is also threw my son's moon (it's a light that looks like the moon) off the ceiling against the wall as I sat at my computer. I had tried a few days before to get that darn thing off to change the batteries but couldn't. It's frustrating.

I'll tell my UFO story, but I doubt it will impress you. I'll save it a bit though because your situation is far more interesting.

Why not set up cameras? It is better to know than to wonder, right?

I'll tell my UFO story, but I doubt it will impress you. I'll save it a bit though because your situation is far more interesting.

Why not set up cameras? It is better to know than to wonder, right?

That's what Pax tells me. However, when I'm here alone with just a three year old boy it's not better to know because I get very scared sometimes. If I didn't live alone and spend the majority of my time by myself it might be interesting to know. For now, I just want to get rid of it.

I think I'd like to hear your UFO story and would find it fascinating as I do many others, unfortunately I've never seen a UFO but I've seen other things yet I remain a skeptic.

That's what Pax tells me. However, when I'm here alone with just a three year old boy it's not better to know because I get very scared sometimes. If I didn't live alone and spend the majority of my time by myself it might be interesting to know. For now, I just want to get rid of it.

I think I'd like to hear your UFO story and would find it fascinating as I do many others, unfortunately I've never seen a UFO but I've seen other things yet I remain a skeptic.

You should listen to that wise man of yours and get the cameras hooked up. It might alleviate your anxiety to discover what is actually happening. Have you considered that possibility?

As to my UFO story... and, coincidentally, your man... I first mentioned my story in a thread that Paxus started. The original post is right here. A truncated version follows...

--

Yesterday around dusk, I was sitting in my office reading several threads here on UM, watching a youtube clip from one of them, and my fiancé yells from the front door, "booN! Come out here! Right now!" (she didn't actually say booN, but you get the picture.)

She sounded pretty serious, so I paused the youtube clip, jumped out of my chair, and jogged to the front porch. She said, "What the hell is that!?" and pointed off to the southern sky. Now, the house was blocking my view as I stepped out the door, so I came completely out, walked down the stairs, and looked up at what she was talking about.

There was this... "thing" that at first looked to me like a helicopter, because of the shape of it. I wasn't sure what to think. And then it started to move erratically, bobbing and jumping, like I would picture the movement of a jellyfish in water. Again from behind me, "What the F is that thing!?"

It actually raised my heart level. I wasn't sure what it was, but it looked like some crazy alien being dancing through the atmosphere at first. (clearly too many youtube videos and threads here on UM...) And then I saw the tail. The kite tail. And of course I chuckled, and explained what it was. And after we both realized it together, had a good laugh. (Don't give her a hard time, she didn't have her glasses on! Give me a hard time all you want though! :rolleyes: )

But I thought I'd throw that out there. This kite didn't have any flares on it, didn't have any glow sticks or anything, it was just a dark object bobbing around in the dusky sky. And for a brief second, I was actually concerned that it was something out of this world.

Don't dismiss the most common of objects in the sky as potential sources for these reports. It happens more often than people care to admit!

--

See why I said it wouldn't impress you? :P

It was a seriously intense moment for me though. I can honestly say that I've experienced the same feelings that any other UFO witness has experienced, ever so briefly, from that one innocuous encounter. My heart rate increased, I felt anxious, I was in awe, I was filled with wonder... the whole bit - for a fraction of a second. It was actually pretty incredible despite the silliness of what was actually in the sky.

You should listen to that wise man of yours and get the cameras hooked up. It might alleviate your anxiety to discover what is actually happening. Have you considered that possibility?

Ahh look at you BooNy now you're gonna embarrass him talking about him like that. I think he probably blushes when you put stuff like that up.

If I find nothing though and still experience things, it doesn't do anything. I still have to worry about what it is. If I do see something, what can I do about it? I'm honestly asking...

As to my UFO story... and, coincidentally, your man... I first mentioned my story in a thread that Paxus started. The original post is right here. A truncated version follows...

See why I said it wouldn't impress you? :P

It was a seriously intense moment for me though. I can honestly say that I've experienced the same feelings that any other UFO witness has experienced, ever so briefly, from that one innocuous encounter. My heart rate increased, I felt anxious, I was in awe, I was filled with wonder... the whole bit - for a fraction of a second. It was actually pretty incredible despite the silliness of what was actually in the sky.

That's a cute story, but seeing something and thinking even for a brief moment it's a UFO is much further than I've ever gotten. I envy the feeling you describe.

Ahh look at you BooNy now you're gonna embarrass him talking about him like that. I think he probably blushes when you put stuff like that up.

If I find nothing though and still experience things, it doesn't do anything. I still have to worry about what it is. If I do see something, what can I do about it? I'm honestly asking...

I guess that would all depend on what you see, wouldn't it? I still say it is better to see something and then figure out how to deal with it than close your eyes and hope it goes away.

That's a cute story, but seeing something and thinking even for a brief moment it's a UFO is much further than I've ever gotten. I envy the feeling you describe.

It was exciting. I look forward to the next experience with the hopes that it is a little less explainable.

I guess that would all depend on what you see, wouldn't it? I still say it is better to see something and then figure out how to deal with it than close your eyes and hope it goes away.

It was exciting. I look forward to the next experience with the hopes that it is a little less explainable.

I'm not hoping it goes it away, I'm trying to learn how to make it go away. Like I said though, if I didn't live alone, I would be more willing to see it. Unfortunately, if I saw it and still didn't know how to get rid of it, I'd probably be living in fear until I knew what to do. Maybe after I know how to make it go away I'll be more willing to see it.

Maybe when we're in my flying saucer we'll see all kinds of neat things. :alien::tu:

I'm not hoping it goes it away, I'm trying to learn how to make it go away. Like I said though, if I didn't live alone, I would be more willing to see it. Unfortunately, if I saw it and still didn't know how to get rid of it, I'd probably be living in fear until I knew what to do. Maybe after I know how to make it go away I'll be more willing to see it.

Maybe when we're in my flying saucer we'll see all kinds of neat things. :alien::tu:

Maybe it's just me, but I see this line of thought as backward. You can't know how to get rid of something if you don't know what it is. Or am I being too logical?

Maybe it's just me, but I see this line of thought as backward. You can't know how to get rid of something if you don't know what it is. Or am I being too logical?

Then I invite you to come set up the web cam and watch it. When you see something figure out how to get rid of it and tell me. We'll go from there.

And no, that's not logical. I am working on trying to figure this thing out smarty pants.

Yeah, don't be so heavy handed with the logic, some people can't take it.

J/K Arenee. :P

BTW Arenee, have you seen the movie Paranormal Activity? If you haven't, don't watch it or it will just creep you out even more. ^_^

Edited by Slave2Fate

Hey Sakari, cool thread. I just wish I had something interesting to share. I'm a little jealous of people who have had experiences worth writing about. :hmm:

Yeah, don't be so heavy handed with the logic, some people can't take it.

J/K Arenee. :P

BTW Arenee, have you seen the movie Paranormal Activity? If you haven't, don't watch it or it will just creep you out even more. ^_^

Oh you shut it!

:P

I've seen that lame movie and many other so called scary movies. They are really bad and not at all scary. I have yet to see a movie that properly scares me. This is actually happening to me though and I feel powerless against it because it terrifies my son so much and he is the only one who can see it while I sit here and just experience things.

Oh you shut it!

:P

I've seen that lame movie and many other so called scary movies. They are really bad and not at all scary. I have yet to see a movie that properly scares me. This is actually happening to me though and I feel powerless against it because it terrifies my son so much and he is the only one who can see it while I sit here and just experience things.

Yeah, the only partly scary part was the ending though the videotape correlation would be enough to stir my imagination enough to have second thoughts. ^_^

I've never experienced anything like that with or without my kids though I can see how it would be disconcerting, to say the least.

Yeah, the only partly scary part was the ending though the videotape correlation would be enough to stir my imagination enough to have second thoughts. ^_^

I've never experienced anything like that with or without my kids though I can see how it would be disconcerting, to say the least.

I hope you never do at least not this particular instance. Like I said, it was easy being big mean mommy to the 'man' until different people claimed to see/experience things. Then the boogey man explanation no longer seemed to be the only plausible one.

You have no other strange stories you'd like to share as I feel I may have monopolized and derailed this thread unintentionally...

My apologies.

Well, I look at movie's differently. I thought both movies were pretty good. I just watch the movie, and try think of myself in their position.

To stay on topic, a few of friends and I went to this old place outside of my village, near a DEW Line. We all went upstairs, with one of them holding a very old camera by the strap. After going back home, we saw someone/something in the corner, just standing there.

I've seen a few things and yes I am a skeptic(I suppose). I only tend to be believe something after I have seen it and experienced it for myself. So I was skeptical of lucid dreaming for example(I thought during the course maybe I was being ripped off)until I started to have them and now I am a true believer in that(well they are scientific fact but back then it was more unheard of so I wasnt sure). So I am like a skeptic until I am a believer from experience.

Anyway the main ufo style experience I can share that will count(because heaps of people saw it)was when I saw what looked like a star falling. I've told it before so anyone can search for it in more detail if you want. But basically I was outside my girlfriends house and while I was waiting for her I was drawn to the sky. I could sense something so I looked up and saw what looked like a falling star. It fell for a little bit and then disappeared like a falling star does but then it reappeared where it had started. Then it fell again and it did this same pattern about ten times. It would fall, vanish for a second and then fall again.

The next day there was reports of a triangular ufo as the main news story that had been seen going over my city. The first sighting was in the same town where I was(thats where it started)and then they said it moved from there across the city and had been seen in many places. It was the main news story and everyone was excited and my girlfriend was kciking herself for not looking when I asked her to.

Edited by Kazahel

read my thread called something i can't explain.

arenee, that's a pretty creepy story unsure.gif

I can say one of the biggest 'skeptical' experiences I had was in my old apartment I shared with a roommate. I was actually skeptical about my roommate's experience until it happened to me. She had woke me up one night and asked to sleep in my room because she kept feeling something moving next to her. Her boyfriend would stay with her for awhile but never sleep over. She said that she woke up to the presence of her 'boyfriend' spooning with his arm slung over her but when she went to touch him and wake him up to go home there was nothing there except an indentation in her bed. I chalked it up to her lack of sleep and or paranoia and told her to go back to her bed and sleep it off, she was pretty mad, only because it happened to her again 2 night later. This time she claimed she woke up on her side and saw the bed comforter rustle and move like something was under the covers. She demonstrated the whole thing when she came into my bedroom again scared. I blew her off again until about a week later. I woke up like I do every once in awhile to reposition in bed and I turned on my other side. When I closed my eyes I felt chills go from the bottom of my spine up to my neck. For some reason I opened my eyes wide and something felt like it layed right behind me almost like someone was trying to cuddle. I sat up and rubbed my eyes and switched back to my other side. This was the creepiest thing I'd experienced thus far that happened next: when I switched to my other side and closed my eyes, I could feel the bed buckling at the bottom of the mattress like someone was standing on it. I froze opened my eyes and this was probably the only time I've ever felt to scared to move. I had no pets at the time and I finally got the courage to slowly turn my head and look behind me at the bed covers. I'm still trying to reason with myself to this day but there's no way I can sugar coat it but say I saw a large indentation at the bottom of the bed and watched as 'footsteps' indentations in the bed covers walked it's way up, stopped right behind my upper back and felt something heavy lay behind me. I say felt because my body started to lean backwards as if someone had lain down quickly behind me. I screamed, threw the covers off and told my roommate who only said "Now you ****ing believe me?"

Still can't quite put together why it happened or what it was and am pretty skeptical about it. Once we moved out of the apartment and went our separate ways, it never happened to either of us again. Haha :)

Edited by rcade21

I have a couple weird things that I have seen

For 12 or so years now, I have been followed by the ghost of a little girl. Strange thing is, I have never seen her directly. When I do catch glimpses, she ducks behind the nearest object and vanishes. Things will also come up missing for days, then reappear in a place that wouldn't have been overlooked, like on the TV. For some time I honestly thought I was seeing things. I worked in a department store, and would see a little girl looking at me from behind a cloths rack or down at the end of an aisle. When I would follow, by the time I got there, nothing. I used to think, "Damn, that kid was fast." It wasn't till I saw her after we had closed, and the loss prevention officer advised me that no one was left in the store, that I started to suspect things. I would see her in Grocery stores, in parks, while I was driving, but always out of the corner of my eye.

The other thing is described in this thread starting on page 5 or so. It's too long to re-type, but is something else I have aexperienced: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=179902&st=150

So yes, most of us have seen things for which we want an explanation. And dogmatic answers will not suffice. They're too empty for the experiences themselves.

Great thread idea, Sakari. I've never particularly labeled myself a skeptic but I never jump to conclusions and always look to logical reasoning to explain things. So I figured I might as well share the ones that I haven't been able to figure out.

I've posted this story before, but I don't remember in what threads so I'll just sum it up here. Almsot 6 years ago exactly, a group of several friends and I were walking home from the movies at maybe 11pm. We were technically in the middle of town, but on a dark and quiet street in which you could still see the stars pretty clearly. Anyway, I looked up and saw 3 orange-ish lights moving slowly in a horizontal line. They seemed fairly close, but were still up in the sky, as in not close enough to be something like insects. As I watched they did an odd maneuver, switched places and completely disappeared. Thankfully, one of my other friends witnessed this and saw the exact same thing. It made no sound, left no trail as if it were flares, and to this day we haven't been able to come up with anything that makes sense.

Another one happened in a cemetery a few years back, with two of my friends. Now, we were just using it as a shortcut to get where we were headed and were not going in there to do any "ghost hunting" and weren't creeped out to begin with. After a while we started hearing footsteps from the side of us. They were clear as day and we were nervous because we thought a caretaker or someone might think we were trying to cause trouble, but we couldn't see anyone so we just kept walking. Again they started, but this time kept going even when we stood still. I literally thought someone was going to step out and walk right up to us so I said "hello?" hoping someone would answer back. Instead, I saw a pair of legs walking directly in front of us. They seemed somewhat translucent and stopped at where the hips would be, then were gone in an instant. Unfortunately neither of my friends witnessed it, but also said they weren't looking where I was. They definitely heard the footsteps though. We stayed there for a while trying to see if maybe cars driving past in the distance made some weird reflection, but nothing happened. There was no drinking or anything involved, so unless I was having a loony attack (which I'm pretty certain I wasn't) then I have no idea how to explain it.

I saw a UFO when I was in 2nd grade. I just remember this overwhemling sense of fear rushing over me and I was in the backseat of my parents car and I just layed down as low as I could. I remember they were talking to each other and looking at the front window so they didn't see it and I didn't want to say anything because I was so scared. It looked so much bigger than an airplane. It had these lights on it that were red and yellowish and the lights were rectangular in shape. They were blinking I guess but it looked like they were going around in a circle. I'm always looking up at the sky, still to this day, looking at the stars and all, so I was looking out the side window. That's why my parents didn't see it. I was just so scared. I remember the next day I heard on the radio all these people calling in saying they had seen a UFO. I think it was the UFO of 1993 seen in Vidalia. There were over 53 reports that night, but I saw it up in Vila Rica. I couldn't find any reports for that area. I don't believe in aliens and UFOs. But I don't know what I saw. I'd love to know though.