Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Wow - Golden Eagle Snatches Toddler In Park!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 19 December 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Maybe he didn't immediately realize what he was watching through the viewer of his camera, and when he did he said "Oh sh1t" because he wasn't religious enough to say OMG!

I never say OMG when something bad suddenly happens.
it was more his tone than what he said. i never say 'omg' either. it's harder to say than oh my gawd . lol

#17    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,699 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

This is why we need to ban eagles.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#18    me-wonders

me-wonders

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 19 December 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

How awful and terrifying! Even if it didn't carry the child off it could have easily punctured the child's lungs with its talons (probably his winter clothes protected him), not to mention the child could have fallen from much higher up. Very lucky child. It would have been a gruesome death.

Why would a bird like this go after a child I wonder? Loss of food sources or habitat? Eagles have amazing vision and the child was not covered in feathers or fur or even skin.

I am so glad the guy stopped filming and ran to help.

I would not have believed this if I didn't see it.  And I will not be buying those cute animal hats for the kids my family.  I am assuming the eagle thought the child was something like a rabbit.

If we lived with these events happening often, we would not be arguing against owning a gun.  Imagine living with a daily fear of animals.

Edited by me-wonders, 19 December 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#19    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,055 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Transferred from the other thread.........

Hmmm. I don't have enough expertise to form an opinion on the authenticity from a technical POV, but unless I'm very much mistaken, that 'eagle' is in fact the US subspecies of Osprey ( Pandion haliaetus carolinensis). So unless that kid smelled very strongly of fish, I doubt whether the bird would be interested! The image of the bird (if it is indeed an Osprey) would have had to be enlarged somewhat - because whatever takes that child looks bigger than a Harpy eagle!

So, from a falconer's POV - I go with fake.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#20    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,596 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Dang. If true that's wild.

#21    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostJGirl, on 19 December 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

it looks real enough, but i wonder why the guy with the camera is so calm about it when the eagle grabs the child. it's like a casual oh **** rather than a more expected OMG!!
I think it happened too fast,and he just wanted to film the bird . It also probably wasn't his kid .

Miss me?

#22    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 19 December 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

I think it happened too fast,and he just wanted to film the bird . It also probably wasn't his kid .
still it's something you don't see every day! i don't think it's a fake video - doesn't seem to be anyway

#23    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,261 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

View Postealdwita, on 19 December 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Transferred from the other thread.........

Hmmm. I don't have enough expertise to form an opinion on the authenticity from a technical POV, but unless I'm very much mistaken, that 'eagle' is in fact the US subspecies of Osprey ( Pandion haliaetus carolinensis). So unless that kid smelled very strongly of fish, I doubt whether the bird would be interested! The image of the bird (if it is indeed an Osprey) would have had to be enlarged somewhat - because whatever takes that child looks bigger than a Harpy eagle!

So, from a falconer's POV - I go with fake.

Yeh I was thinking the kid looked like a doll the way it was sat upright...heres a page of stills, looky for yourselves every peeps!

EDIT: my bad, wrong link posted...now corrected, so here are the stills

http://www.dailymail...layed-park.html

It mentions a youtuber analysed it and...he says its cgi as shadows are missing in some frames..

Edited by seeder, 19 December 2012 - 06:38 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#24    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

View Postseeder, on 19 December 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Yeh I was thinking the kid looked like a doll the way it was sat upright...heres a page of stills, looky for yourselves every peeps!

http://news.softpedi...ke-316099.shtml

It mentions a youtuber analysed it and...he says its cgi as shadows are missing in some frames..
it seems the kid moves his head just before the eagle grabs him tho
also, i've seen someone thrown off a horse and yeah they bounce just like that. not saying that means it's real, just that it looks like a natural way for someone to fall and hit the ground based on my experience

#25    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,261 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I posted wrong link...whoops! Heres the right one with stills etc

http://www.dailymail...layed-park.html

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#26    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,385 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Confirmed fake.  A Montreal-based design school hosts an annual competition to "hoax the internet" and this was one of this year's entries.  But I'm sure this video will live on and continue to be posted around here as proof of something.

http://gawker.com/59...e-video-is-fake

UPDATE: As first posited above, the "Golden Eagle Snatched Kid" video was in fact the work of students at the Montreal-based animation and design school Centre NAD:

The "Golden Eagle Snatches Kid" video, uploaded to YouTube on the evening of December 18, was made by Normand Archambault, Loïc Mireault and Félix Marquis-Poulin, students at Centre NAD, in the production simulation workshop class of the Bachelors degree in 3D Animation and Digital Design.

Congrats kids — next year's class will be hard-pressed to beat your "hoax the Internet" success.

Edited by Rafterman, 19 December 2012 - 07:41 PM.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#27    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostRafterman, on 19 December 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Confirmed fake.  A Montreal-based design school hosts an annual competition to "hoax the internet" and this was one of this year's entries.  But I'm sure this video will live on and continue to be posted around here as proof of something.

UPDATE: As first posited above, the "Golden Eagle Snatched Kid" video was in fact the work of students at the Montreal-based animation and design school Centre NAD:

The "Golden Eagle Snatches Kid" video, uploaded to YouTube on the evening of December 18, was made by Normand Archambault, Loïc Mireault and Félix Marquis-Poulin, students at Centre NAD, in the production simulation workshop class of the Bachelors degree in 3D Animation and Digital Design.

Congrats kids — next year's class will be hard-pressed to beat your "hoax the Internet" success.

thanks for the info! and good on them - it was really well done

#28    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,261 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Good find!!

The worrying thing is tho.... if...one day.... a story is created/faked, but with the sole intention of fooling everyone, for something bad? And no way to figure it out after?

Ah forget that, it already happens, its called the govt!

#29    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 12,907 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 19 December 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

This is why we need to ban eagles.

Dude!!!

:nw:   :nw:    :nw:   :nw:   :nw:   :nw:   :nw:   :nw:   :nw:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#30    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 12,907 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 19 December 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

This is on regular news here . As per PIX 11 news in nyc ,this is not fake at all,and the mother gave info as to the child's condition .
The baby was a bit bruised ,but unharmed .
The baby was probably dropped because it was too heavy to lift,but the bird gave it the old college try .

Simbi, it has happened to me also......

You can not believe anything anymore at all, without good verification.....These things have been fooling even the News for a while now.

View PostRafterman, on 19 December 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

:tu:   :tu:   :tu:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

This is where a topic needs to be highlighted as " solved ".....and locked! ....

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users