Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Tourists illegally scale the Great Pyramid

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

These photographs capture the views from the top of one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
A group of Russian tourists waited until official visiting hours were over at Egypt's famous Giza Necropolis, before scaling the enormous Great Pyramid as the sun began to set.
The Russians managed to escape the attention of security guards at the ancient site, allowing photographer Vitaliy Raskalov to snap pictures of the surrounding desert and the majestic Sphinx from the top of the 455ft structure.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2OcnD99S6

Amazing photos in the link.

Edited by DKO, 26 March 2013 - 06:30 AM.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#2    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

Cool pics. I hope the tourists don't end up in front of a radical Islamist Judge. I bet the security guys are going to get a real talking to.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#3    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

I never knew the city was so close to the pyramids.

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,958 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

I've always wondered how difficult it would be to climb it :)

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#5    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

There are letters carved into some of the blocks. Wonder who they were done by.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

#6    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

View Postkrypter3, on 26 March 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

I never knew the city was so close to the pyramids.

Just like any other monument, gotta build right up to it. I think the angle of most photographs make you think it's not that close to anything at all. Looking at Google Maps, any photos taken from the north facing south will make it appear as though the pyramids are out in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by Lady Kasey, 26 March 2013 - 01:40 PM.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#7    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

I was there is 82. The pyramids set right the edge of the city. Cool place to visit.

#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostDKO, on 26 March 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

I saw that too. Someone really took some time to carve that. Or is the limestone soft enough to carve with a pen knife?

I thought it was probably like the other various graffiti, done back when few monitored what people were doing on the site. Even the relieving chambers of the Great Pyramid has tons of modern graffiti in it. And that is a lot harder to get into then the outside surface of the pyramid.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#9    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,491 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

View PostDKO, on 26 March 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Kilroy?

#10    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 26 March 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

I saw that too. Someone really took some time to carve that. Or is the limestone soft enough to carve with a pen knife?

I thought it was probably like the other various graffiti, done back when few monitored what people were doing on the site. Even the relieving chambers of the Great Pyramid has tons of modern graffiti in it. And that is a lot harder to get into then the outside surface of the pyramid.

Yeah some letters are very neat, especially in the first picture.

Mankind at its finest, if there's a place someone is not meant to be, you will definitely find graffiti.

Confucius Says:

#11    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,568 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Great views, it wouldn't do to lose your footing on your way up!

Edit: or down come to think of it :unsure2:

Edited by Still Waters, 27 March 2013 - 04:21 PM.

Posted Image

#12    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postand then, on 26 March 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

I've always wondered how difficult it would be to climb it :)

My Mom's Mom and Step Dad  (a methodist minister)   used to take tours to the Holy Land .. in the 50's i think..  They hired locals as "boosters" to help the tourists climb.   I saw slides and   movies of their trips.   (narrated by Grandpa lol)     ..  it sounded like it was not an easy climb.

Edited by lightly, 27 March 2013 - 09:35 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#13    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• 1,049 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:32 AM

The downside to this story is the possibility of copycats....They got some beautiful photos but maybe they shouldnt have been made public...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users