Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evolution of the cat

Waspie_Dwarf

Skulls shed new light on the evolution of the cat

Modern cats diverged in skull shape from their sabre-toothed ancestors early in their evolutionary history and then followed separate evolutionary trajectories, according to new research from the University of Bristol published today in PLoS ONE.

The study also found that the separation between modern domestic cats and big cats such as lions and tigers is also deeply rooted.

Dr Manabu Sakamoto and Dr Marcello Ruta in the School of Earth Sciences studied the skull shape of extinct sabre-toothed cats, modern (conical-toothed) cats and prehistoric ‘basal’ cats (ancestors of modern cats). This is the first time these three different types of cats have been analysed together in a single dataset.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Well, I can't speak for anyone else's moggies, but mine seem to have evolved (not very far) from something fat, lazy, greedy and pretty damn stupid! (Think John Prescott in a fur coat!)

my 2 are decidedly quite intelligent. I have been trained properly :D

• Like 2

Nice article Waspie, thanks for posting.

I was reading on another thread about feral cats in Australia and how after a few generations they become much larger than their domestic cousins, this ties in nicely.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else's moggies, but mine seem to have evolved (not very far) from something fat, lazy, greedy and pretty damn stupid! (Think John Prescott in a fur coat!)

Is your cat called Garfield?

Funny also that you mention 'Two Jags (two cats) Prescott'.

Edited by Junior Chubb

my 2 are decidedly quite intelligent. I have been trained properly :D

Yes, I was trained properly by my two. You never own a cat - they own you. Or, as a friend of mine says: dogs have owners, but cats have staff.... :yes:

• Like 1