Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

Universities offering 'alien search' course

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,131 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:20 AM

Frankly, I think this topic is a bit misunderstood.

It is not about knowing what ET life is nor is it intended to preach knowledge about that. It is a means to seed interest among future students in the area of astro-biology (an increasingly important topic given that we spend more and more time in space) and the topic is how we look for life elsewhere in the Universe based on what we currently know. A very good topic to lure new students with, in my honest opinion. And at the same time educate others about how the search for ET is currently done.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#17    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

View Postbadeskov, on 22 July 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

Frankly, I think this topic is a bit misunderstood.

It is not about knowing what ET life is nor is it intended to preach knowledge about that. It is a means to seed interest among future students in the area of astro-biology (an increasingly important topic given that we spend more and more time in space) and the topic is how we look for life elsewhere in the Universe based on what we currently know. A very good topic to lure new students with, in my honest opinion. And at the same time educate others about how the search for ET is currently done.

Cheers,
Badeskov

I agree. This has nothing to do with UFO's or alien visitation as far as I can see. I think that those who think this is some sort of validation for the ETH are going to be a bit disappointed.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#18    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

• Of two or more competing theories the simplest explanation is most likely to be the right one.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

I think this is a great idea. What with CERN discovering the Higgs Boson particle and now looking into dark matter, things that will, before too long, give an insight into how we may develop a realistic method of inter-stellar travel, SETI is of more interest than ever. We have to find some critters out there to go and visit. Not next week obviously, but I think we are just beginning to scratch the surface of realistic deep space exploration. The search for dark matter immediately following the discovery of the Higgs Boson particle is very interesting, it suggests they're looking for a method of inter-stellar travel to me. I could of course be talking out of my backside, it wouldn't be the first time, but thats how it looks to me.

The fact that space has a smell is interesting, as I would think a smell must consist of physical particles. It may be that what these astronauts are smelling on their space-suits is dark matter. They may have been describing the smell of dark matter without even considering that for years. Perhaps NASA should send some of these 'smelly' space-suits to CERN for analysis, they may be able to accurately identify the source of the smell, and save everyone a lot of time. We do indeed live in interesting times, as they say.

I think I will contact Edinburgh University and get the details of this course, it sounds very interesting to me, if I can do the course from here in Australia I think I'll have a crack at it. Good on them for getting this subject out there. (No pun intended).

Edited by Occams Razor, 29 July 2012 - 01:03 AM.

#19    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

• Of two or more competing theories the simplest explanation is most likely to be the right one.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

View PostLilly, on 20 July 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Oh my, "a series of short courses accessible online to the public for free from late 2012". So, who's going to try one out? I'd be willing to give it a try  (just once mind you).

I'll sign up. I think generating interest in finding ET and what sort of critters we might come across out there is fascinating stuff.

With all the really interesting deep space/ET and physics stuff going on at the moment with CERN, the SKA and many other projects I think it's great to encourage this type thinking. Good on you Edinburgh Uni

#20    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

View Postschizoidwoman, on 20 July 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Surprisingly (or perhaps not), it actually is free!

Great! I can hardly wait.

#21    Rob Awesome

Rob Awesome

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• If we don't have an apocolypse soon I'll have to find work

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

Seeing as no one has found alien life yet I'm guessing the failure rate is going to be really high.

The "mean to"s make an unhappy one

#22    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostRob Awesome, on 29 July 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

Seeing as no one has found alien life yet I'm guessing the failure rate is going to be really high.

How do you mean??

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#23    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

I think this is an excellent idea also people need to realize just how incredible our universe is and maybe taking these classes will help with that

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#24    Rob Awesome

Rob Awesome

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• If we don't have an apocolypse soon I'll have to find work

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 30 July 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

How do you mean??

If it's an alien search course the only way you should graduate is if you find an alien. :)

The "mean to"s make an unhappy one

#25    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,405 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:06 AM

I have to offer a positive two cents as well. With all the extra solar planets found in the last couple of decades, it seems a rather prudent move forward. Many minds and all that.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#26    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostOccams Razor, on 29 July 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

Great! I can hardly wait.

If you do enrol on the course, let us know how it goes!

#27    -M7

-M7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

• Open your mind to new ideas. There can be something else in play.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

Does it say how to find the aliens already on Earth?

#28    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

View Postcsspwns, on 20 July 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

this should be way more usful than the ghost hunting classes
you made me snort coffee through my nose . :tsu:

#29    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostRob Awesome, on 31 July 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

If it's an alien search course the only way you should graduate is if you find an alien. :)
With thinking like that I doubt anyone would pass the class

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users