Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What happens when we die?

GoPlayonAhighway

People sing mournful songs then chuck you into the fire

• Like 3

You return to the same state you existed in before you were conceived.

• Like 4

No one knows for sure...but we'll all find out someday.

Edited by Lilly
oops!
  • Like 5

No one knows for sure...but we'll all find out someday.

I am not sure that we can find out anything, once we have no existence/conscious awareness. If death truly is just non existence, then no one will ever 'KNOW" this, because knowledge and non existence are completely incompatible.

• Like 1

I don't think we are suppose to know, but I have a feeling it will always work out in the end.

• Like 8

As humans we are very much attached to our idea of identity and personality so it is difficult to conceptualize the idea of non-existence or at the very least, the existence of the "not me".

Endless stories are made up to allay the fears about what happens when one dies yet as was stated, no one really knows however in the age of reason and logic I would think that people are less apt to fall for such childish fairy tales about the afterlife.

The body dies, everything associated with it dies too. Our thoughts, imaginations, loves, hates, hobbies, jobs, families, dreams, desires, etc..all this will die because they are products of the brain. Dead brain means nothing happens.

Hard to think that everything we hold so dear in our heads will just disappear and it is hard to wrap our minds around it just as it is almost dizzying to conceptualize the vast endlessness of space.

I would think that one should be more concerned with the real life we endure now and make sure we are not total jerks to others while we are here rather than doing all sorts of useless hand-wringing over non-existence.

• Like 2

I don't believe in heaven and hell and all that. But, I know there is a possibility of some kind of afterlife, due to having seen and experienced ghostly things. It's pretty much the unknown and something none of us will ever know for sure until our time comes.

• Like 2

Opening Heaven’s Door – The Paranormal Podcast 369 37:35 2/10/2015 Journalist Patricia Pearson shares how personal losses led her to investigate the afterlife and what she found.

http://jimharold.com/?feed=podcast

Am I the only person who clicks on links??

What am I to review?

The link is a podcast about a woman's personal experiences - the viewing of it is purely optional.

Our souls flies into the nether realm of course.

But I already spend most of my time there..

You wake up from the simulated reality and into the real world, thus the second birth. Unless your character get's deleted and then it's the second death.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

There seams to be a brief period where the spirit may be between the 2 worlds.

This doesn't happen to everybody, but when things are sudden or unexpected.

I'm reviewing information from a wide range of sources trying to shed further light on this aspect.

The final destination and aspects relating to that I'm reasonably satisfied with my understanding..from both my personal experience..and OBE first hand.

On these occasions where it is sudden or tragic I see mutible sources showing its around a month..but 40 days may be more accurate. Since I have tried to highlight this aspect, even with a suggestion of 40 days where the spirit is on earth amongst the physical I'm curious if others have come across similar?

I believe in Heaven, Hell and in some cases we can return as Spirits or Ghost if there is work still to be done.

When you die, if someone does not burn you then you rot.

The end.

• Like 2

Not the end..its only the beginning!

No it is not, we already began and grew in a womb, after that you die, we break down, and return to the elements we are made of. "Sprit" is how one is characterized, it is not a ghost image of yourself hiding inside yourself. People want an afterlife to exist, and that sometimes makes the present situation bearable and death easier to deal with. Oxygen deprivation and the hallucinations that come with that are not another world.

• Like 1

Not the end..its only the beginning!

No it is not

Psyche - that is only your opinion.

If it gives comfort to a dying person and their family - that they go off to a pleasent place - after they die (soul wise)

Then let them have that belief...what harm can it do....other than give them some warmth and peace as they grieve.

Anyway - none of us really knows what happens after we die.

I'm a catholic - but certainly not a practising one - I'm not afraid of death either - I'll take what ever comes my way when my -

number is up

If anything - I'll miss those that I left behind :unsure2:

• Like 3

Psyche - that is only your opinion.

To be fair Astra it is a well informed opinion based on the best knowledge available on the planet. You know me, I wont just run with "what Grandma used to say" or what "that clever fella down the street reckons" and loosely, that is where the afterlife "proof" comes from. I will take lengths to seek out any fine detail associated with a claim.

It's a bit of a personal subject with me, when I lost my father I was open to the idea, my sisters and mother were always leaning towards paranormal explanations for everything in life and I believed them when young. My father too, he swears he saw Mary on a battlefield when young, and told me he saw angels on a Sunday night, telling him his time was due, and he passed on the Tuesday afternoon. The loss of my father hit me a lot harder than I expected it to. So I went of on a quest to find out just how to let him know I missed him, and have that last goodbye. I spent quite some time immersed in the subject, and was happy to let others know I was ignorant and wanted to learn - nothing like the Psyche you see before you right now, and some ancient posts I made would confirm this. Needless to say, my current stance on the subjects reflects my findings. People just want to take advantage of the grieving, in some cases, I think it really is genuine, and people think they are helping, but I'll give you the tip, in the long run, they are not.

If it gives comfort to a dying person and their family - that they go off to a pleasent place - after they die (soul wise)

Then let them have that belief...what harm can it do....other than give them some warmth and peace as they grieve.

Well on that front - for the elderly, and all of us who have had this false idea as an option to oblivion, yes, for sure. I do not see any harm in final years being in peace, or making that final moment easier to deal with. But I think it would benefit us all to take death seriously for what it is - the end. I think honesty for future generations it would be beneficial, and help us to look at death with a new realistic perspective, perhaps in some cases even maybe avoid it. I do refer to future generations specifically and thank you for the opportunity to clarify that.

Anyway - none of us really knows what happens after we die.

I honestly reckon we do, the information is there, the claims have been debunked there seems little left but sheer wishing power. There is absolutely no reason to consider an afterlife, we made it up. It's just another adult Santa.

I'm a catholic - but certainly not a practising one - I'm not afraid of death either - I'll take what ever comes my way when my -

number is up

My last faith before atheism was Catholic, and heavily inspired by my father - it's a long story but suffice to say I have been deeply immersed in several religions thanks to my mother who let religion rule, and IMHO ruin her life.

I liked the traditions the Catholics held onto, it seemed very respectful of their origins. I can see why it attracts people, but religion overall is just a bad thing, Islam has illustrated that so clearly in the past decade. I have to stand with Dawkins on religion to remain true to myself.

All I know is when my number is up that I want them to play The Great Gig In The Sky at my funeral. That symbolism is still there for me even if I do not believe I will actually get to jam with my friends when I pass away.

If anything - I'll miss those that I left behind :unsure2:

Well, all the best, and if that gives comfort, then at least there is something. I had to deal with the death of my best friend since school last month. A terrible business, he was one of the nicest guys you could meet. I miss him terribly, and believe me, I could use his guidance in my world right now, but I won't let some charlatan taint this fantastic memory with a cold reading to make me feel better. I will keep his memory with the honor it deserves, I do not know how I can respect his memory more than that. To me, it would be an insult to let someone pretend they were speaking to someone I found to be as close to me as my own blood.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2