Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tadpoles see out of their tails

Still Waters

Get ready for custom eyeball transplants for people who absolutely must have eyes in the backs of their heads — or pretty much anywhere on their bodies. Researchers at Tufts University just published a paper where they report transplanting working eyes onto the tail of a blind tadpole. Here's how they did it.

http://io9.com/59871...ls?tag=medicine

Could similar transplants be performed on vertebrates and higher level organisms in the future?

Ok, so they have tried this out on tadpoles, I do not want to even think about how they will try this out on humans, but i would not be at all surprised if they are already trying it in some windowless lab somewhere.

What could possibly the purpose of trying this out on other species if they have no intentions of trying it out on humans one day? Mutating animals is not mans right!

Edited by freetoroam

Politicians have been talking out of their tails for many years!

• Like 2

That's exactly what i was going to say.

Why did they transplant the Eyes onto the Tail, though? If they wanted to be altruistic and help the poor Tadpole see, they might at least have put them at the right end. The ppor thing won't know whether it's coming or going.

Very true, and what they come out with is quite appropriate for the place it is exiting!

They don't address the most important question: What happens wheen the tadpole turns into a frog? Can it still see out the eye? Is the eye still on its back?

Well, technically not tails......

Could similar transplants be performed on vertebrates and higher level organisms in the future?

Ok, so they have tried this out on tadpoles, I do not want to even think about how they will try this out on humans, but i would not be at all surprised if they are already trying it in some windowless lab somewhere.

What could possibly the purpose of trying this out on other species if they have no intentions of trying it out on humans one day? Mutating animals is not mans right!

The guy was pretty clear:

A primary goal in medicine is to one day be able to restore the function of damaged or missing sensory structures through the use of biological or artificial replacement components. There are many implications of this study, but the primary one from a medical standpoint is that we may not need to make specific connections to the brain when treating sensory disorders such as blindness.

I.e. it may be possible to implant replacement eyeballs (and other sensory structures) into people with damage, without knowing exactly how to wire them up to the brain, because it'll form its own connections.

Edited by Ad hoc

The guy was pretty clear:

A primary goal in medicine is to one day be able to restore the function of damaged or missing sensory structures through the use of biological or artificial replacement components. There are many implications of this study, but the primary one from a medical standpoint is that we may not need to make specific connections to the brain when treating sensory disorders such as blindness.

I.e. it may be possible to implant replacement eyeballs (and other sensory structures) into people with damage, without knowing exactly how to wire them up to the brain, because it'll form its own connections.

Yes, that I got. But they will still have to try it out on humans at some stage. I can see the potential for it, but playing Frankenstein on other species at this stage is not going to tell them if it will ever work on humans, that would be still to come.

If humans want to try these sort of experiments, fine, try it on humans. I darned think about what other mutations they are performing on other species.

As I have said, mutating other animals or species is not mans right.

wow That's pretty awesome that they could see behind their tails but also pretty disturbing in the following sense & reasons.why would anyone in their right minds want their eyes in Their back of the head or their behind.also I am strongly against with science in messing around With nature.the only reasons I don't have no problem with science is if its finding natural ways to save endangered species or positive non harmful beneficial reasons behind them and purposes.but science is not to blame its the scientific community that lack morals,ethics and reason and a lock of respect of nature and the natural world.me personally I don't even like to kill a fly and especially mess with the natural world or mother nature herself.and Anybody with a conscious and heart would understand That.

Edited by King Cobra 1408