Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the scariest movie?

xBlackDahliax

Session 9 is definitely worth a watch, a couple creepy moments, excellent location and good psychology behind it.

Good old fashioned fear-horror comes int he form of the Air-Duct scene in Alien (1979)...masterful. A guy I worked with is still too afraid to watch that scene...lel.

Alien is definitely a classic. The best aspect of it imo is how it bleeds acid cause they need to be inventive in trying to take it out, not a particularly pleasant creature to be on the same ship with either, persistent and relentless!

The Descent is great until the creatures become fully formed and understood in the viewers mind, it is great until that moment, they are over used and it becomes your basic survival horror concept. Still a great effort and a solid 7 out of 10 in my opinion.

The women in The Decent get a 10 out 10 in my opinion. Why waste screen time in a horror movie with male actors?

They pack more of a punch than 90% of guys in horror movies too, Juno is goddamn lethal!

"The Thing". John Carpenter's version with Kurt Russell. It doesn't so much bother me now, but it did when I was younger. It gave me awful nightmares for weeks; especially the scene with the Husky.....I still have a hard time watching that scene.....:(

• Like 3

The Exorcist is definitely one of the most disturbing and compelling, not for the visuals imo though (They are certainly horrific) but the tale itself and intentions of the demon are certainly abysmally dark.

• 3 weeks later...

The Ring and Mothman Prohecies are profoundly intense movies.

Saving Private Ryan is terrifying in a very real sense, that introduction is extremely disturbing and downright appaling in that the human race is capable of turning a simple beach into a bloodbath at any given moment. Naturally Hiroshima is another example but there was no act of process between the two states, that beach scene is a moment of atrocity in development.

The Exorcist is definitely one of the most disturbing and compelling, not for the visuals imo though (They are certainly horrific) but the tale itself and intentions of the demon are certainly abysmally dark.

What were the intentions of the demon in that I forget

The Ring and Mothman Prohecies are profoundly intense movies.

The Mothman Prophecies is pretty intense

The demon dude Pazuzu didn't really have much use for Regan, it intended to use her as a vessel to kind of pollute everyone around her and the people trying to save her, so to inflict as much pain as possible by wasting the little girl away and to taunt the priest whom it had history with, pretty darn gruesome!

The Bunker

The Devil's Rock

Let me know what you though of them

These were very good and show big budgets and massive CGI are not needed to make a good film. I think these low budget films do not get proper recognition

The demon dude Pazuzu didn't really have much use for Regan, it intended to use her as a vessel to kind of pollute everyone around her and the people trying to save her, so to inflict as much pain as possible by wasting the little girl away and to taunt the priest whom it had history with, pretty darn gruesome!

Ohhh okay, yeah that is pretty gruesome. plus that scene where her head starts spinning around I doubt she could have lived through that

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

In the novel it is described as a kinda mirage put forth by the demon to the mother, plus she has just whacked herself on the floor after being unpolitely smacked by her daughter so she is a bit out of it. It doesn't really interpret it like that in the film which is one weak point imo. Later with Karras seeing it is just overkill too so that is another stupid part of an otherwise stellar film.

In the novel it is described as a kinda mirage put forth by the demon to the mother, plus she has just whacked herself on the floor after being unpolitely smacked by her daughter so she is a bit out of it. It doesn't really interpret it like that in the film which is one weak point imo. Later with Karras seeing it is just overkill too so that is another stupid part of an otherwise stellar film.

All the sequals that followed that movie were utterly pathetic compared With the original movie.

The six o'clock world news is still the most terrifying thing you could watch.

All the sequals that followed that movie were utterly pathetic compared With the original movie.

I liked one scene in I think it's the third movie in the nursing home, an old woman suddenly crawls across a ceiling lol. The rest I tried watching and couldn't really make ANYTHING decent from them. Once you've seen the greatness of the original it all pales, not because they are necessary as deficient as a lot of horror films that've come since, just because they insult The Exorcist by trying to sell off it with nothing to back it up.

The wonderful thing about The Exorcist is how it slowly pulls you from your normal world into a world where impossible things are happening. Regan and her mother have a convincing relationship (and there is some very naturalistic acting between them) long before anything weird happens.

There are very few horror movies that attempt this. The audience just ignores the characters and the dialog (which are usually terrible anyway) and waits for the scary things to start happening.

• Like 2

Yes, it takes a very long time for something to happen, that is the probelm with horror these days, there is no IMMERSION everything has to be paced ridiculously and unrealistically. The acting between Burstyn, Blair and the woman who plays the assistant is so compellingly warm and genuine I agree.

I liked one scene in I think it's the third movie in the nursing home, an old woman suddenly crawls across a ceiling lol. The rest I tried watching and couldn't really make ANYTHING decent from them. Once you've seen the greatness of the original it all pales, not because they are necessary as deficient as a lot of horror films that've come since, just because they insult The Exorcist by trying to sell off it with nothing to back it up.

I dont usually watch movies involving demons I hate that backward crab walk thing and when the demon makes the persons body bend in those horrifiying ways.

Yeah it's unsettling for sure, I think demons exist in many different ways in this world, don't have to be supernatural and religious, just take a look at some folks! The Exorcism Of Emily Rose has the best display of gruesome contortions, it's better in that regard than the exorcist especially the church scene. That film was also based on a true account that is well documented, whilst Blatty's novel of TE was a more vague affair giving him more license to play around with the plot.

You had me excited then! I rushed to google quickfast to find the descent 3, not made yet unfortunately tongue.gif

Descent 3... I did exactly the same, while thinking how that had slipped by me without noticing.