Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Living for ever good or bad?

spartan max2

If humans get to the point were we will be abel to live forever is this good or bad?

Would you want to live forever if it was a option in this life?

Iv asked questions like this and iv got a 50/50 split it seems like. Some people just dont want to live longer then a normal life span and some people think it would be horrible for our race. Some think i is just unnatural.

I personlly would like haveing the option of deciding when to die so living forever would be good.

But what does everyone on UM think :) ?

• Like 1

Bad. People need to die to keep the world going. Over-population is bad enough now.

• Like 3

Bad. People need to die to keep the world going. Over-population is bad enough now.

Too true!

can see it now, buildings covering every inch of the countryside, alongside factories mass producing processed food to accommodate the demands, animals being made to breed constantly in cages to produce the demand for meat, deceases spreading rampantly, the health service collapsing under the pressure....the list is endless and not pretty.

• Like 1

Too true!

can see it now, buildings covering every inch of the countryside, alongside factories mass producing processed food to accommodate the demands, animals being made to breed constantly in cages to produce the demand for meat, deceases spreading rampantly, the health service collapsing under the pressure....the list is endless and not pretty.

Very scary and accurate view of that scenerio.

If we live long enough, we will be able to eventually leave this planet when technology catches up. I say this is good. Who wouldn't want to explore the universe and take all the time needed to do so? That would be a grand adventure. I think that if one were able to live forever, they may only be allowed to have one child? Maybe none? There would have to be a safeguard against overpopulation while on the Earth, it could possibly be removed after we've found alternate planets where human life can flourish.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 6

If we live long enough, we will be able to eventually leave this planet when technology catches up. I say this is good. Who wouldn't want to explore the universe and take all the time needed to do so? That would be a grand adventure. I think that if one were able to live forever, they may only be allowed to have one child? Maybe none? There would have to be a safeguard against overpopulation while on the Earth, it could possibly be removed after we've found alternate planets where human life can flourish.

i doubt everyone would be allowed to go. Humans still have not found a way to live side by side peacefully on this planet.

I am sure there will be many protesting about who will go.....i do not want to be seated next to some serial killer or pedophile or expenses fiddling MP while traveling round the universe.

It is a common human fantasy to want to live forever, humanity seems to have taken to the idea that we are above nature and we are somehow SO great that we should be immortal.

Personally I would NOT want to live forever, especially in the same body, on the same world seeing and doing the same things over and over.

I don't want to wait for thousands of years before general life on this planet becomes something more than just a quest to endlessly chase after jobs and worry oneself sick about whether one will even have a job the next day.

All life dies eventually.

• Like 1

One thing I remember about the Highlander series, all the immortals were wealthy. They worked, learned about finances for a long time, made their fortunes and were set for the rest of their immortal lives. Work for say 100 years, save your money, invest it and liquidate it wisely and you're set for a few hundred years on interest alone. With a good interest rate, 1 million in the bank can net you 50k + per year.

Edited by WoIverine

One thing I remember about the Highlander series, all the immortals were wealthy. They worked, learned about finances for a long time, made their fortunes and were set for the rest of their immortal lives. Work for say 100 years, save your money, invest it and liquidate it wisely and you're set for a few hundred years on interest alone. With a good interest rate, 1 million in the bank can net you 50k + per year.

I would rather not be around to see what the banks are going to do next, let alone save with them!

Immortality: due to scientific advancement, I'm assuming?

Provided all fields of knowledge (and human nature itself) have followed in this progress, and can solve our many problems, then sure, sounds good!

Immortality unleashed on this world of political unrest, war, overpopulation etc sounds like trouble and raises many questions about how society would adapt.

What level of immortality are we talking?

Regenerative?

Indestructible?

Resurrection?

Probably regenerative if we can choose when we die.

Sorry for all the ?s.

I think I would go for it.

Immortality: due to scientific advancement, I'm assuming?

Provided all fields of knowledge (and human nature itself) have followed in this progress, and can solve our many problems, then sure, sounds good!

Immortality unleashed on this world of political unrest, war, overpopulation etc sounds like trouble and raises many questions about how society would adapt.

What level of immortality are we talking?

Regenerative?

Indestructible?

Resurrection?

Probably regenerative if we can choose when we die.

Sorry for all the ?s.

I think I would go for it.

yeah i was thinking regenerative when i made this post. Idk it seems the most likely to me.

Boring. Living forever would leave people unenthusiastic about things.

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

• Like 1

It really depends on the conditions for living forever. If you can still kill somebody then I wouldn't mind so much. The idea of not being able to put somebody down who needs it would kind of suck. Think serial killers would turn in to torturers. How about paying for the people who get life in prison? Even the little things like seeing Trump or the cast of Jersey Shore...being stuck with them..... forever......

Ok only if it was for me and the people who didn't annoy me.

Too true!

Ugh, the typical uninspired -I've watched too many dystopian movies-view.

Firstly overpopulation isn't bad enough now, it's non existent. Nobody knows how much the earth can take so too say it has too many ppl on it is glib. It's infrastructure and distribution that's the problem. The number of births are actually declining, so educate yourself before parotting trendy nonsense.

We're moving away from mass-production, the demassification process has already begun.

Ppl have to learn to think about the future in new terms, not in current terms. In the future lab-meat will have gained popularity for example, in the future we'll build more vertical than horizontal. Health service is increasing it's efficiency. More and more breakthroughs on disease control are being discovered and developed, a whole new era of healthiness is afoot.

Just think out the damn box for once. Science won't immediately go to a standstill if ppl can live for a longer time, this all happens gradually.

Boring. Living forever would leave people unenthusiastic about things.

Don't know about that. The same can be said about humans now. Many just sit in their couch all day because they'll die anyhow so why bother doing anything grand?

If you're gonna live to be a 1000 you bet your ass you're gonna try and spend your time wisely cuz else your headed for 1000 years of poverty and demotivation, who wants that?

Also, if we would all grow older then we would feel the effects of everything we do later on. We wouldn't just be able to say "ah well that's for the next generation to fix".

• Like 2

If humans get to the point were we will be abel to live forever is this good or bad?

Would you want to live forever if it was a option in this life?

Iv asked questions like this and iv got a 50/50 split it seems like. Some people just dont want to live longer then a normal life span and some people think it would be horrible for our race. Some think i is just unnatural.

I personlly would like haveing the option of deciding when to die so living forever would be good.

But what does everyone on UM think :) ?

Living forever is impossible. There are accidents, also violence agains one another, natural disaster etc. I read an article a whlle back and it said that if it came about that we had the potiential to live forever, the average life span would be 750 years, which means that over half would die before then. Time, the limits of life is one thing that gives it its depth and urgency, take that away, well I am not sure what will happen.

peace

mark

Ugh, the typical uninspired -I've watched too many dystopian movies-view.

Firstly overpopulation isn't bad enough now, it's non existent. Nobody knows how much the earth can take so too say it has too many ppl on it is glib. It's infrastructure and distribution that's the problem. The number of births are actually declining, so educate yourself before parotting trendy nonsense.

We're moving away from mass-production, the demassification process has already begun.

Ppl have to learn to think about the future in new terms, not in current terms. In the future lab-meat will have gained popularity for example, in the future we'll build more vertical than horizontal. Health service is increasing it's efficiency. More and more breakthroughs on disease control are being discovered and developed, a whole new era of healthiness is afoot.

Just think out the damn box for once. Science won't immediately go to a standstill if ppl can live for a longer time, this all happens gradually.

---------------------------------------------

You are living in cuckoo land. But you are entitled to your opinion,

All the obviouse economic and technological problems aside, I'd give it a shot for a few thousand years alt least. I'd like to explore the stars as a physical being. But there could be problems. Getting stuck in space for 10,000 years or more would be hell.

Even if immortality would be economicaly cheap, society would turn it into commodity of the wealthy. People are greedy, but now their greed is matched by their life expectancy. Without death, their greed would have no natural limits, so the diference between classes would deepen even more, especially if the poor would know about the immortality. World would be ridden with clashes and riots, so the security industry as well as psychologycounseling would proliferate. At best, it would be wise to keep immortality a secret to avoid all negative consequences.

hmmmm on UM it dosent seem as much a 50/50 split lol. I still stick with my veiw though

every new age has new problems to face and unintended consquences but we could work them out like we have problems now we try to work out.

Overpopulation i think is on of the ones that people fear about but isent really a problem. We would just set population limits and try to inhabit other planets. Of course there is always the potinteal that we fail.

Life being pointless because it goes on forever i can understand. But people feel the same way now because it ends lol. So as always you would have to give it meaning.

If people get too bored then just end your life? i think it would be better to have to option to choose when.

Yeah rich people would get it first but thats how it always works until it becomes cheap enough for the common person. same thing happened with cars and computers and junk

Probably the best way to enact it would be for after we have a reliable way of getting to other planets or potential colony sites... Only let those that migrate outward take the treatments for extreme long life...

If it is just a relatively few people - for whatever reason, then no change need be made except to keep it secret...

Would I like to?... Yes, I would like the opportunity to live for as long as I want... But not to be "locked" into an eternity of watching those I love grow old and die - time after time...