Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why werewolves give us the willies

werewolves

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

Sometimes I get scared when I think about werewolves, but then I remember that THEY ARE FAKE.  Imaginary, pretend.  Full of crapola.  Then I feel better.

#17    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

I never really believed werewolves were real, so they don't give me the willies............I do enjoy a good movie about them every so often......especially if they have some chesty girls running around screaming mostly nekked.

......I'm sorry......what was I talking about?

#18    Thegreatsilence

Thegreatsilence

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 28 October 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

No offence, but your opinion is wrong. The Gable Film is an admitted hoax. Mike Agursa is the guy who did it and admitted that it was faked.

Can a man in ghillie suit take off while running on all fours ? That's suspicious. Anyway that's not the first time Monster Quest can't get to the bottom of it. They never seem to exploit rightly their "findings".

#19    SCFan

SCFan

ISA 62:2; 65:15; HOS 1:10; 2:23; MATT 21:43; ACTS 11:26

• 2,621 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 28 October 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Hmm. I always thought werewolves were kind of lame actually.

View PostHasina, on 28 October 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Vampires are pretty boring, but I've read a few good books involving vampires. Try reading David Wellington's Thirteen Bullets if you want some really interesting vampires. Werewolves to me are just boring, human most of the time? Boooo. My favorite of the old school movie monsters are zombies. The really old school slow ones. Sure they're not scary by themselves but if you make a noise, they congregate in mass towards the location, then it's scary. I've always enjoyed the scenes in movies showing the massive crowds of zombies.

View PostMisstreeDove, on 28 October 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Werewolves and vampires were ruined for me when people starting fangirling over them and began using them as romance/"sexy" fluff. That and they're too human for my tastes.

I enjoy some werewolf films such as The Wolf Man, Curse Of The Werewolf, and An American Werewolf In London.

I really dont know any great werewolf literature, unless The Wolfen counts, that was a creepy book. I havent read the classic Werewolf In Paris by Guy Endore. Dont know if I will.

Otherwise yes, werewolves are rather boring I agree. And vampires arent any better.

I can only wholeheartedly recommend 4 vampire stories Carmilla, Dracula, I Am Legend, and Salem's Lot.  I could probably count classic vampire films I love on both hands.  Otherwise I refuse to touch any vampire literature. Because there is nothing original.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#20    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostThegreatsilence, on 29 October 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

Can a man in ghillie suit take off while running on all fours ? That's suspicious.

Why should it be suspicious? We all got around on four legs before learning to walk upright...

There are plenty more examples: http://www.youtube.c...c.1.FiPWLloJVsU

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#21    Thegreatsilence

Thegreatsilence

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Sure but not fast enough nor built for that to have all fours disconnected from the ground at the same time...

#22    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,180 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 28 October 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

Ground sloths are so cool!
I prefer my sloth as a steak, not ground.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#23    Etu Malku

Etu Malku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• Mercuræn

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

Have fun with this . . . Lycanthropy: A Handbook of Werewolfism by Frater D.   http://satanismcentr...m/werewolf.html

Tarkhem Productions
   IAMTHATIAMNOT

#24    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

I don't believe in any "monster", including the human kind who get "fatally" shot or stabbed  but carry on to kill again, or man-eating space aliens.

In film or in a book is the only place these things live, for me, and if done well, can be scary.

But I am not afraid of encountering any of them while taking out the trash.

But a really creepy/scary book or film can make me jumpy for a while! :passifier:

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#25    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostHasina, on 28 October 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Vampires are pretty boring, but I've read a few good books involving vampires. Try reading David Wellington's Thirteen Bullets if you want some really interesting vampires. Werewolves to me are just boring, human most of the time? Boooo. My favorite of the old school movie monsters are zombies. The really old school slow ones. Sure they're not scary by themselves but if you make a noise, they congregate in mass towards the location, then it's scary. I've always enjoyed the scenes in movies showing the massive crowds of zombies.

Yeah I can get behind that. Because there's something slightly pathetic in zombies, and I guess the true horror is the danger you'll end up just like that.

To be honest ever since I discovered Lovecraft and his cohorts many years ago any other monster has been sort of rendered moot. :P

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#26    AshenPhoenix

AshenPhoenix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostUrisk, on 29 October 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Yeah I can get behind that. Because there's something slightly pathetic in zombies, and I guess the true horror is the danger you'll end up just like that.

To be honest ever since I discovered Lovecraft and his cohorts many years ago any other monster has been sort of rendered moot. :P
Favorite Zombie Movies/Shows: Zombie Land & Shawn of the Dead, Dawn of the dead, The walking dead
Favorite Werewolf Movies/Shows: Brotherhood of the wolf, 1087-1988 show called Werewolf
Favorite Vampire Movies/shows: Lost Boys, Salem's Lot, Interview with a Vampire, Vampire Diaries (yeah yeah, I know deserve to be made fun of for this one.  Had a good plot though!), and yes, Angel (that was more comic relief than actual drama for me though).

Guess I like a little comedy in my horror.  :)

#27    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,275 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostThegreatsilence, on 29 October 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Sure but not fast enough nor built for that to have all fours disconnected from the ground at the same time...

He is faster than the subject of the Gable film and for jumping on all fours try typing "jumping on all fours" into YouTube. Such quadrupdeal movement is even considered to be good training for parkour.

Werewolves don't me the willies but cognitive dissonace sure does...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#28    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,768 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostAshenPhoenix, on 29 October 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

1087-1988 show called Werewolf

My God, that's a long run for a TV series.

The only werewolves and vampires that give me the willies are the ones from those Twilight documentaries.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#29    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,707 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostHasina, on 28 October 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Agreed. Werewolves come from Snorzeville.

You wouldn't be snoring if a big wolfman was giving you the willies, I can assure you of that.  :)

#30    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 28 October 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Linda Godfrey is so sure about the existence of weird walking wolves that she's written a book titled "Real Wolfmen: True Encounters in Modern America." In more than 300 pages, she lays out dozens of stories about sightings of nasty-looking beasts running around on their hairy hind legs. Scientists are unconvinced — but they do admit that humans are virtually hard-wired to watch out for wolves on the darkness.

http://cosmiclog.nbc...-us-the-willies

I think it has nothing to do with real wolves at all.

People watch too many scary/weird movies.

Some become fascinated by them, and then love to imagine they are werewolves themselves (just check this site).

Others think they must be possessed by some evil spirit.....movies again.

Some others think that Reptilians are all over the place.........scifi movies (and it started with the "-V-" series).

I could go on like this for hours, but the message is: movies tend to tickle some people's imagination to a point they actually believe what they have watched.

It's an ego thing: "I want to be an interesting person..... because without this fantasy I am nothing but a common dork".

Also tagged with werewolves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users