Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

msnbc compares obama phone call

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,530 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Msnbc, compares the obama calling a gay right advocate to the moon landing this is wrong in my opinion.  The moon landings gave us hope to the future.  The only thing I see coming in california is law suits against any church that refuses to perform the marriages.  Yes, I know that isdn't what they wanted.  But really is, besides if you can get rich why not.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,624 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

Yeah, gay marriage doesn't have crap on space exploration and technology.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Where's your link to the story?  It may not compare to the moon landing in many ways but it is still a milestone in American history.

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,543 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

It seems to me the two are of comparable importance, one in technology and the other in humanity.  By the way, the idea that churches will be liable for refusing to perform such weddings is stupid nonsense

#5    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

View Postdanielost, on 27 June 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

Msnbc, compares the obama calling a gay right advocate to the moon landing this is wrong in my opinion.

Nothing against gay marriage, but that is complete and utter BS...

So glad my Grandpa, isn't alive to see this. He actually, worked at NASA, and was instrumental along with many other engineers, who helped put a man on the moon...He worked on the Apollo, Mercury, and Gemini Programs. I bet he's up in heaven yelling about this... :yes:

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,626 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 June 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

It seems to me the two are of comparable importance, one in technology and the other in humanity.  By the way, the idea that churches will be liable for refusing to perform such weddings is stupid nonsense
I hope you are correct, Frank.  But from what I can deduce from this whole saga it has been about EXACTLY the refusal of religious entities to solemnize homosexual unions.  If not then why all the fuss?  My understanding (limited) is that legal agreements between partners have made it possible in most states for the rights normally associated with marriage to be conferred without an actual marriage license.  If this has been about legal issues related to government protections, the gay lobby should gladly be willing ti "immunize" all clergy from prosecutions for refusal to go against their specific religious doctrines on this issue - I bet you they will never agree to this.  It WILL become an issue of force - at least for awhile.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#7    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,568 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

I dont know about you guys, but to me it seems like legal gay marriage is "a small step for a man, but one giant leap for mankind." ;)

I value rights to the people higher than space exploration. It's cool, yes, but it does very little for me personally.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,543 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

You can get married many ways; it doesn't have to be in church.  The very idea of forcing a church to do that would be a violation of the First Amendment and so would get absolutely nowhere in the States.

There are Buddhist temples here in Vietnam who "solemnize" same-sex marriages, but so far the government doesn't recognize them.  It seems this is likely to be changed this Fall.

#9    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,530 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

And you can get the same benefits with civil unions.  The only reason to get the right to marry is to force churchs to do them.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#10    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,905 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:16 AM

View Postdanielost, on 27 June 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

And you can get the same benefits with civil unions.  The only reason to get the right to marry is to force churchs to do them.

Is this the mormon line now? because it both statements above are complete BS.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#11    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

I don't see how the government legalizing same sex marriage would make it illegal for religious institutions to refuse a marriage.  Wouldn't the whole idea of separation of church and state make that impossible?  To be quite honest, I don't even think gays would want to be married in a hardcore anti-gay church to begin with.  But as far as what the O.P. says, link please, from MSNBC, and not the blaze or foxnews!

#12    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,530 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

No, it wouldn't last year a town tried to make a church take down its manger scene on its front lawn because somebody complained about it.  I think it was last year, it could have been two years ago.

#13    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,530 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Postninjadude, on 28 June 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

Is this the mormon line now? because it both statements above are complete BS.

First I didn't say it was the mormon line.

Second it is not.

#14    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,494 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

Please provide the link for your OP danielost...

#15    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,530 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

I can't do links with this tablet.  Besides I heard it on tv.  I doubt there is a link to it.  It was a comment from the host.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users