Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Humans in South America 22,000 years ago?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

Disputed finds put humans in South America 22,000 years ago
March 13, 2013

Stone tools unearthed at a Brazilian rock-shelter may date to as early as 22,000 years ago. Their discovery has rekindled debate about whether ancient people reached the Americas long before the famed Clovis hunters spread through parts of North America around 13,000 years ago.

These relics of ancient South Americans add to evidence from nearby sites challenging the longstanding view of Clovis people as the first Americans, a team led by geochronologist Christelle Lahaye of the University of Bordeaux 3 and archaeologist Eric Boëda of the University of Paris X reports March 4 in the Journal of Archaeological Science.

“We have new, strong evidence that the Clovis-first model is out of date,” Lahaye says.

Among other South American locations proposed as human settlements well before North America’s Clovis culture, the most controversial is Brazil’s Pedra Furada rock-shelter. There, archaeologists unearthed burned wood and sharp-edged stones and dated them to more than 50,000 years ago. Pedra Furada’s excavators regard the finds as evidence of ancient human hearths and stone tools. Critics, and especially many Clovis investigators, say the Brazilian discoveries could have resulted from natural fires and rock slides.

More here:
http://archaeologyne...ml#.UUbdrzdOzEQ

#2    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

This could explain a stone blade 22,000 years old found in America.

Posted Image

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,422 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Really doesn't surprise me.  I think there is a lot we don't know about early humans.

I think the Sphinx is older than is widely accepted.

#4    Everdred

Everdred

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Posted Image

These tools they've found look rather primitive.  They're definitely not related to the more complex pre-Clovis tools associated with the Solutrean theory.

#5    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

Very cool  i bet they even go back farther then that.

#6    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,376 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

I think we will eventually find out we as a species capable of using tools go way farther back in time than modern estimates.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#7    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,376 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

View Postcoolguy, on 20 March 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

Very cool  i bet they even go back farther then that.

You beat me to that response by a few seconds  :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#8    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,447 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

They should do genetic tests on individuals from various areas and tribes. See whose genes cluster with Polynesians. See whose genes cluster with Siberians. There must have been a lot of explorers since time immemorial!

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#9    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,422 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

View PostEverdred, on 20 March 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

Posted Image

These tools they've found look rather primitive.  They're definitely not related to the more complex pre-Clovis tools associated with the Solutrean theory.
If I were to come across some of these tool I would think they were just rocks.

#10    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,348 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

I've no problem with the idea of humans in America long ago: The Diomede Islands are only 22 miles from Siberia and 25 miles from Alaska, which makes crossing from Asia to North America something that could have been done easily even without a land bridge. Nonetheless, at a time when the entire world was making sophisticated stone tools, 'tools' that are so crude that many think they're just rocks are probably just rocks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users