Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cryptozoology Outside the USA

cryptozoology

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    cenobite

cenobite

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

• old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

dont believe a word Helen says she once told me SHE was the tooth fairy

TCB

#17    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,851 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

View Postcenobite, on 12 August 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

:lol: wrong thread, you son of bearded woman...
Seems like cenobite’s circus went without him again, cryptid hunters from England, this is your chance!
He is out there :yes:

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#18    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

View Postcenobite, on 12 August 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

I wouldn't be too hasty.  Anybody that wears an Octopus on her head has got to have the inside track on some very strange aspects of our world.  ;)

#19    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 22,851 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 12 August 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

I wouldn't be too hasty.  Anybody that wears an Octopus on her head has got to have the inside track on some very strange aspects of our world.  ;)

It’s The Hatopus. Alien life form, has nothing to do with earthly cryptids :D

Joking aside, apart from damn big fish, I saw no possible cryptid in my entire life and I saw or I think I saw all other kinds of unexplained.
Speaking of animals, I’m not ashamed or afraid to say I had noticed synchronous events in which animals played a role (“coincidence” is the lamest excuse ever, not near an explanation). I would agree to be hooked on lie detector to confirm I experienced telepathy and/or precognition involving animals (I know when one of my animals is in trouble, or will get into trouble, they knew when something was wrong with me and so on). I also believe there’s something in old krsnik myths (would take too long to explain, will wait for some other thread)...
But an actual cryptid, nope, never bumped into one. Though I hike a lot, so I sure will take photos and will let you guys know if anything strange crosses my path.

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#20    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 12,907 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Posted Image

European Cryptozoology Conference

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#21    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Japan has quite a few cryptids.
This has some of the better known ones,however,I've always thought if the kappa as a yokai (their version as a type of boogey man ),. I had no idea it was considered a cryptid .
http://pinktentacle....tures-of-japan/

Miss me?

#22    BradVaughn

BradVaughn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

• Local Journalist

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 12 August 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

Do you know more about him? Maybe how that story begins, when it started, is he only seen or leaves any traces?  

I've done some amateur journalism in my time, exploring local legends and oddities in Southend, and in the course of exploring the Ratman stuff, I pieced together the general story.
Whilst the major idea is that he's a ghost, the other story is that he is a rat/human beast.
Apparently, the Mayor once had an adulterous affair and through some curse, his lovechild was hideously deformed, with the tail and ears of a rat but the form of a man. To protect his mistake, he built an underpass where his child could hide in various secret holes.

I am dubious, obviously. From my investigations, it appears that this branch of the story originated in local schools and it does bear an uncanny similarity to the story of the Minotaur of Crete. However, the fact that numerous tales would spring from a singular location suggests that something about the area is at least spooky enough to inspire such fanciful tales and I've read reports of people hearing scratching and rodent-like shrieks down there at night - although the woman who heard this admitted to having had a few drinks at a local bar beforehand, make of that what you will.

So whilst the sources of these stories are unreliable, I think there's perhaps something to the area that fosters this kind of thing.

SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Not just a really, really, really long pier

#23    Vidgange

Vidgange

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Here in Sweden we have our own Nessie: Storsjöodjuret - which roughly translates to "the Great/Big lake monster" and is supposedly found in Storsjön (Great/Big lake). And then there's supposedly another lake serpant in NOrway. Which lake I can't remember but I think they've named the serpant "Selma".

And as late in the 19th century we've had reports of lindormar - kind of like a wyvern kind of snake.

In Russia it's said to live Big Foots and then there's the Mongolian deathworm... Quite a few cryptids right there. But, as people already have pointed out; most of the media covarge is english, and therefore focusing on cryptids from the US or UK...

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose

Also tagged with cryptozoology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users