Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anomalocaris

Is Space Mining Legal?

A controversial bill would give companies the right to own natural resources in space, and it may pass in the Senate by the end of September.

arrow3.gifRead more

Meanwhile in related news...

Asteroid-Mining Plan Would Bake Water Out of Bagged-Up Space Rocks

A new way to harvest asteroid resources is being eyed as a possible game changer for space exploration.

arrow3.gifRead more

Edited by Anomalocaris
  • Like 1

So we are already setting the scene for space pirates to plunder Big Biz's paying loads?

I for one welcome this new climate of space chaos.

Send in Captain Harlock.

captain-harlock.jpg

• Like 1

How does the United States Senate have the power to dictate mining rights in space? Shouldn't it be more of a free-for-all? Or at the very least agreed upon by all nations and the corporations that reside therein?

So after investing billions in order to gather resources from space rocks a company shouldn't have any mineral or property rights to the rock they are mining? Sounds like a great way ti kill commercial space exploration.

@ninja - read the article before posting because they discuss the space treaty. Oy

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

So after investing billions in order to gather resources from space rocks a company shouldn't have any mineral or property rights to the rock they are mining? Sounds like a great way ti kill commercial space exploration.

Well, it is very likely that science disagrees...

There is also another strong reason for developing clearly defined space laws, says Prof Crawford: "For scientific reasons, some areas of the Moon are sites of special scientific interest and should be preserved and protected from commercial activities."

arrow3.gifRead more

Space-mining - we are getting nearer this possibility, who hold the right to do this?

Is the wealthyiest Nation of the World hold some power over this?, IMHO, I would think that the intelligence that are nearer the Planet, Asteriod, to be mined should have a say! But who are the intelligence?, we have heard there were remmant of Past Civilisation living underground, they should be included in decision making on who's rights it is?

And if there is intelligence on the Planet to be mined, maybe there are intelligences nearby we aren't aware of.

The US Senate may legislate on the matter but if these activities (mining in Space) come in conflict with intelligence being, hopefully, the US will have the weapons to make a difference, if not, mining will not last long.

Well, it is very likely that science disagrees...

In what way does that article disagree with me? The point of the article is exactly what I said which is that new laws/rules will have to be agreed to in order to protect the interests of private companies exploiting space based resources. I'm not sure you understand what the conversation is about here or what your stand is so I am not sure how to proceed.

Space-mining - we are getting nearer this possibility, who hold the right to do this?

That is the point of this thread. Who holds the rights to space based resources and how are those rights protected. Before a company invests billions of dollars into the mining of asteroids it must be assured that when it returns those precious metals back to earth that it owns those metals. The fear is some governmental agency like Obama's overreaching EPA may confiscate the material based on some arcane aspect of present law. What the senate is trying to do is codify what those resource rights are in order not to stifle investment in this burgeoning and possibly invaluable industry. After all, the resources available in the galaxy are nearly limitless and harvesting them hurts nothing.

Is the wealthyiest Nation of the World hold some power over this?, IMHO, I would think that the intelligence that are nearer the Planet, Asteriod, to be mined should have a say!

This is about private industry, NOT governments

But who are the intelligence?, we have heard there were remmant of Past Civilisation living underground, they should be included in decision making on who's rights it is?

Well, thanks for introducing fiction into what was a legitimate conversation. Prove your silly hypothesis and then we'll discuss it.

And if there is intelligence on the Planet to be mined, maybe there are intelligences nearby we aren't aware of.

As far as I know we are the only intelligence on this side of the galaxy soooo

The US Senate may legislate on the matter but if these activities (mining in Space) come in conflict with intelligence being, hopefully, the US will have the weapons to make a difference, if not, mining will not last long.

When this becomes a factor we'll have much bigger issues than property rights.

Edited by Merc14

In what way does that article disagree with me? The point of the article is exactly what I said which is that new laws/rules will have to be agreed to in order to protect the interests of private companies exploiting space based resources. I'm not sure you understand what the conversation is about here or what your stand is so I am not sure how to proceed.

and in order to protect the interests of scientists too. Since you asked:

"So after investing billions in order to gather resources from space rocks a company shouldn't have any mineral or property rights to the rock they are mining?"

Later, and accordingly that, I came here to share one of the reasons of why space commercial activities should be regulated:

"There is also another strong reason for developing clearly defined space laws, says Prof Crawford: "For scientific reasons, some areas of the Moon are sites of special scientific interest and should be preserved and protected from commercial activities."

Ok, maybe the word "disagree" was not the most appropriate. But beyond that, I don't see where is my mistake.

Edited by Anomalocaris

and in order to protect the interests of scientists too. Since you asked:

"So after investing billions in order to gather resources from space rocks a company shouldn't have any mineral or property rights to the rock they are mining?"

Later, I just shared one of the reasons of why space commercial activities should be regulated:

"There is also another strong reason for developing clearly defined space laws, says Prof Crawford: "For scientific reasons, some areas of the Moon are sites of special scientific interest and should be preserved and protected from commercial activities."

Ok, maybe the word "disagree" was not the most appropriate. But beyond that, Why this susceptibility? :D

I absolutely agree with this. All of it mus be discussed and codified while this industry is still in its infancy so that it can grow and gather the vast resources available. I would also agree that some places should be labeled out of bounds for all but scientific research. Places such as the Europa, Enceladus and Ganymede which may contain life should be utterly off limits.

@ninja - read the article before posting because they discuss the space treaty. Oy

Ah but I did read it. Everything is not a Republican talking point. You have to agree that space mining is not clearly defined in space law. Let me turn this around on you. Suppose Russia passes a law that gives GrozkiSpaceMining rights to mine a moon Phobos, or an asteroid Eros... Or China..We know that life can possibly appear wherever water can be found. It seems water is found nearly everywhere in space. Would that be ok with you? Space needs to be governed by international agreements not by each countries wet dreams delusional grandeur. Yes I reject WHOLEHEARTEDLY another round of parochial Manifest Destiny. Space minerals can be exploited but within international treaty. And frankly, I have said here before, space mining seems like a ridiculously expensive, unlikely to succeed, and needless enterprise.

Ah but I did read it. Everything is not a Republican talking point. You have to agree that space mining is not clearly defined in space law. Let me turn this around on you. Suppose Russia passes a law that gives GrozkiSpaceMining rights to mine a moon Phobos, or an asteroid Eros... Or China..We know that life can possibly appear wherever water can be found. It seems water is found nearly everywhere in space. Would that be ok with you? Space needs to be governed by international agreements not by each countries wet dreams delusional grandeur. Yes I reject WHOLEHEARTEDLY another round of parochial Manifest Destiny. Space minerals can be exploited but within international treaty. And frankly, I have said here before, space mining seems like a ridiculously expensive, unlikely to succeed, and needless enterprise.

You obviously hadn't read it since the article discussed international treaties in depth. As for the rest of your drivel I won't bother as I've heard your childish anti-republican rants in countless threads and they never vary and make less sense as time goes on. Manifest destiny LMFAO.

Gentlemen, can we keep the childish Republican / Democrat bickering out of this. Apart from being off topic and being against the rules regarding personal attacks it's as boring as hell for those of us not in the USA.

Thank you.

• Like 2

This is about private industry, NOT governments
Well, thanks for introducing fiction into what was a legitimate conversation. Prove your silly hypothesis and then we'll discuss it.
As far as I know we are the only intelligence on this side of the galaxy soooo

When the time come where there will be Space Mining, Governments should be the first to grant (with other partners yet to be determined) businesses in Space.

Whoua, you need prove, how do you explained a cancer cure that Scientists can't explained?, tell me..?, silly isn't? You know that the Science base can't, do yet, explain some natural phenomenon, can't explain Pyramid functions, and what other things Science ain't able to fully comprehend?, is Science a silly thing?

Yes!, you have a long way to go!, have a great journey!

When the time come where there will be Space Mining, Governments should be the first to grant (with other partners yet to be determined) businesses in Space.

We'll see how it works out.

Whoua, you need prove, how do you explained a cancer cure that Scientists can't explained?, tell me..?, silly isn't?

What's silly is claims like this one with no proof or evidence to back it up.

You know that the Science base can't, do yet, explain some natural phenomenon, can't explain Pyramid functions,

Pyramids don't have any magical function to explain that I know of and there have been studies done. Nothing.Food placed under a pyramid rots at teh same rate as food outside it. Once again, give us your evidence before scoffing at science.

and what other things Science ain't able to fully comprehend?, is Science a silly thing?

There is much that science doesn't understand which is why we do science.

Yes!, you have a long way to go!, have a great journey!

You too but may I suggest you stop believing in magical things, it leads only to disappointment.

Edited by Merc14

I think habitable planets should be turned into giant gardens to grow food. I also think that each nation should have their own planet. And I think dead worlds (that can't be terraformed) should be mined to there core. You could even designate dangerous worlds were all waste is dumped, a toxic place like Venus. That's if space exploration get easier, safer, and cheaper.

What's silly is claims like this one with no proof or evidence to back it up.

Pyramids don't have any magical function to explain that I know of and there have been studies done. Nothing.Food placed under a pyramid rots at teh same rate as food outside it. Once again, give us your evidence before scoffing at science.

There is much that science doesn't understand which is why we do science.

You too but may I suggest you stop believing in magical things, it leads only to disappointment.

Well Merc14, I don't know what you're doing in Unexplained Mysteries, so many things that are unexplanable today that tomorrow will be known! We migrate for this, but in the main time, you like to judge (like to sillying member opinion)!

As you are aware, in philosophy, judging someone opinion identify you with the same word you used to judge, best to you my friend!

As you know, Earth is apparently billions of years old, and science is approximately 2,500 years old, you see the discrepancies, what I mean is (remember we are in UM) our Earth was habitable (?) by intelligent beings, you may have a read of the Sumer Tablets (Stichin, Parks) to learned that we were created by Annunaki beings, now, if you want proof, the Sumerian Tablets are there for you, have a good read.

I'm not scoffing Science, I'm only saying that Science is relatively young, and as you know, the fundamentals of Science don't take into account of yesterday intelligences who were on Earth long before us.

Hades, please stay on topic. If you want to discuss non-terrestrial intelligence then there is an entire forum for that. This IS the science section and this topic is specifically about mining in space.

Thank you.

• Like 1