Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dinosaur:T-rex thigh tissue

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Amonia-X

Amonia-X

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:47 AM

Hey guys, A couple of days ago Paleontologists had found a T-rex thigh bone. In this thigh bone was some tissue. Well, thats by far the most biggest fossil find in history to be recorded. But the questions surfaced just as fast as the big discovery. So my objective of this thread is .... Do you think that we should clone this piece of tissue to see what a T-Rex really looks like or should we just preserve it and study little by little and never really clone it. (Also there might be whole cells in this tissue just for the FYI) Here is the actual report:

WASHINGTON - A 70-million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex fossil dug out of a hunk of sandstone has yielded soft tissue, including blood vessels and perhaps even whole cells, UA.SA. researchers reported on Thursday.Paleontologists forced to break the creature's massive thighbone to get it on a helicopter found not a solid piece of fossilized bone, but instead something looking a bit less like a rock.
When they got it into a lab and chemically removed the hard minerals, they found what looked like blood vessels, bone cells and perhaps even blood cells.

"They are transparent, they are flexible," said Mary Higby Schweitzer of North Carolina State University and Montana State University, who conducted the study.

She said the vessels were flexible and in some cases their contents could be squeezed out.

"The microstructures that look like cells are preserved in every way," added Schweitzer, whose findings were published in the journal Science.

"Preservation of this extent, where you still have this flexibility and transparency, has never been seen in a dinosaur before." Feathers, hair and fossilized egg contents yes, but not truly soft tissue.

Studying the soft tissues may help answer many questions about dinosaurs. Were they cold-blooded like reptiles, warm-blooded like mammals, or somewhere in-between? How are they related to living animals?

"If we can isolate certain proteins, then perhaps we can address the issue of the physiology of the dinosaur," Schweitzer said.

Of course, the big question is whether it will be possible to see dinosaur DNA. "We don't know yet. We are doing a lot in the lab now that looks promising," Schweitzer said.
To make sure she was seeing what she thought she was seeing, Schweitzer, a biologist by training, compared the Tyrannosaur samples with bone taken from a dead ostrich. She chose an ostrich because birds are thought to be the closest living relatives of dinosaurs and ostriches are big birds.

Both the dinosaur and ostrich blood vessels contained small, reddish brown dots that could be the nuclei of the endothelial cells that line blood vessels.
Taking the minerals out of both ostrich bone and the Tyrannosaur bone — a simple experiment that can be duplicated by anyone using a chicken bone, for example, and vinegar — yielded flexible fibers. Microscopic examination showed what look like bone cells called osteocytes in both.

#2    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,909 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:40 PM

This issue is being discussed in another thread.  Currently, cloning is out of the question, as there has yet to be DNA found in any of the samples.

#3    man_in_mudboots

man_in_mudboots

title?

• 2,425 posts

• whither goest thou, young rogue?

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:47 PM

are you sure there was any use-able DNA? or any DNA at all?

#4    Conspiracy

Conspiracy

Poltergeist

• 3,074 posts

• "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:00 AM

if theres blood or cells theres DNA.. no matter what.... anyway i think it be nice to close dinosaurs but clone them on a isolated tropical island... with no human inhabitants... cause u never know how a 70 million year old t-rex would think

Posted Image

#5    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(Conspiracy @ Apr 5 2005, 07:00 PM)
if theres blood or cells theres DNA.. no matter what.... anyway i think it be nice to close dinosaurs but clone them on a isolated tropical island... with no human inhabitants... cause u never know how a 70 million year old t-rex would think

View Post

Oh yes we do:

Mr. Speilberg showed us all...three times!! laugh.gif

- Dark

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

- Alejandro Jodorowski

#6    man_in_mudboots

man_in_mudboots

title?

• 2,425 posts

• whither goest thou, young rogue?

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:22 AM

um...........its a fossil; meaning, rock. huh.gif

#7    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,909 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:40 AM

Blood or cells doesn't mean there is definitely DNA.  A cell is composed of many different structures, and after 70 million years, it wouldn't be surprising that the only thing left was the strongest part of it: the cell wall.  Everything inside could simply have disintegrated.

#8    Booser

Booser

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

Thats true, plus red blood cells dont even have nucleus and so dont have any DNA. Thats why they need to be made in the bone marrow instead of division like other body cells.

*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details.

#9    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:51 PM

Even if there WAS viable DNA (which there isn't of course) I highly doubt modern cloning methods would be able to clone one anyway tongue.gif We've had a pickled thylasine for decades now, but nobody's cloning that.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#10    MadEyePixie

MadEyePixie

Beware the Eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

• "That's one nice thing about carousels, they always play the same songs." -Holden Caulfield

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:24 PM

I'm experiencing déjà vu...

"Don't call me señor! I'm not a Spanish person. You must call me Mr. Biggles, or Group Captain Biggles, or Mary Biggles if I'm dressed as my wife, but never señor."

-Graham Chapman

Posted Image

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

-Michael Palin

Proud Member of The SPAM Club

#11    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:59 PM

Can anyone say Jrassic Park, lol...

#12    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

Even if complete DNA were found, given our current state of technology, it will be many years before we could accomplish a dinosaur clone.  The book "The Science of Jurassic Park" explains all of the obstacles.

Fundamentalists are using this find to "prove" that the fossil could not possibly be 70 million years old, but instead, about 6000, when ithe Rex allegedly drowned during the Biblical Flood.  But according to some Fundies, at least two T-Rexes survived on Noah's Ark, to explain why "dragons" are mentioned living on the world after the flood!  I'm not making this up.

#13    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:33 PM

But wouldn't they have killed all the other animals on the ark? How did Noah lure them in? With corndogs?

Nothing to see here.

#14    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:56 AM

Good question snuffy, I suppost they can say they were helped by angels or something that kept the T-rexes and other carnivores in line.

They use flood-surviving carnosaurs to explain the "dragons" in the Bible, but then fail to explain how/why some of these dragons talk, "sing praises to God" (as it says in Psalms), God riding on their backs, wings, flying, etc.  It is quite amusing in that this is perhaps the only place in their entire system of beliefs that they try to be slightly scientific, and state biblical dragons must be dinosaurs, even if it contradicts the Bible.

#15    Joshua West Spirit

Joshua West Spirit

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:42 PM

I think the bigger discovery was, that it was never killer, but a scavenger. Big Turkey Dino big nostrols prove he rathers smell dead things than alive things. His small arms cant do anything, his big thighs make him have to paste up a attack run. Even with two of them its to big to hunt like a silent predetor. A t-Rex presence is felt by heards of dino birds from miles away, because of its high weight. Like I said T-Rex Biiig Turkey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users