Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 5 votes

[Archived]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11638 replies to this topic

#9661    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,394 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

'tEurp sounds like the word Europe to me.

Europe may have been so named because it was a land of terp buildings, which is a Frisian word for 'village' basically. The land of villages/terps.

:w00t:

I'm quite serious.

-------------------------

When Flandria appeared in the 8th century, it was a Frankish fief centred on Bruges. The region's name is thought to derive from the Old Low German word flauma, which means flooded land.[4] Originally this referred to the polders surrounding Bruges and dates from a period before the counts of Flanders expanded their territory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanders

------------------------

Edited by The Puzzler, 24 January 2012 - 10:44 PM.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#9662    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,394 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

This sounds an interesting group to join, the Frisian Archaeology group for amateur archaeologist interest.

http://argyf.fryske-...rban/archeology

I found their rule rather 'odd' though:

Rules of conduct
The law of monuments is clear: "It is forbidden to do digging that has the aim to discover or to research (ancient) monuments".

:ph34r:

#9663    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,394 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostOtharus, on 24 January 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

Both interpretations are valid.
I agree and her name probably did mean 'bright light'.

#9664    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,085 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 24 January 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

'tEurp sounds like the word Europe to me.

Europe may have been so named because it was a land of terp buildings, which is a Frisian word for 'village' basically. The land of villages/terps.

:w00t:

I'm quite serious.

-------------------------

When Flandria appeared in the 8th century, it was a Frankish fief centred on Bruges. The region's name is thought to derive from the Old Low German word flauma, which means flooded land.[4] Originally this referred to the polders surrounding Bruges and dates from a period before the counts of Flanders expanded their territory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanders

------------------------

Maybe you would like to consider the word "twerp" too?

It sounds perfectly the same as "tEurp".

I'm NOT quite serious, btw.

#9665    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,085 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostOtharus, on 24 January 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

Both interpretations are valid.

Really?

I don't think they both are.

Read the episode, and it will be clear as daylight that the suggested name of the mother, "Hel-licht" is not a personal name at all.

#9666    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,394 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 24 January 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

Maybe you would like to consider the word "twerp" too?

It sounds perfectly the same as "tEurp".

I'm NOT quite serious, btw.
Do you have a better reason Europe is so named?

Yeah Europa, right. And Europa would have equalled 'a village or town' imo, being taken to Crete, the beginnings of town/village lifestyles.

Sounds perfectly logical and reasonable to me.

#9667    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,085 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 24 January 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Do you have a better reason Europe is so named?

Yeah Europa, right. And Europa would have equalled 'a village or town' imo, being taken to Crete, the beginnings of town/village lifestyles.

Sounds perfectly logical and reasonable to me.

I do have.

"Europe" was called that way because it was the "Land in the direction of the evening", the WEST, or "Erev".

Bloody Semites, lol.

#9668    Van Gorp

Van Gorp

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

View PostOtharus, on 24 January 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Van Gorp, do you know this book?

Belgisch Museum vd Nederduitse Tael- en Letterkunde en de Geschiedenis des Vaderlands (1837) by Willems

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

It's on my to read-list it.

Otharus, thnx for the info man.
On my list now also :-) Good stuff.

#9669    Van Gorp

Van Gorp

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 24 January 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

I do have.

"Europe" was called that way because it was the "Land in the direction of the evening", the WEST, or "Erev".

Bloody Semites, lol.

Sometimes it happens I study etymologie.
But frankly spoken: you don't need to study language, understanding it will do fine.
The base language was simple, logic and phonetic.

From Schrieck. Beghin der eerster volcken van Europa.

Posted Image

#9670    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,394 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:18 AM

Evening might be a bit poor but I could see 'above' being more the word, since Hyperborea was termed in relation to it being beyond, or above also.

The name of Europa is of uncertain etymology.[23] One theory suggests that it is derived from the Greek εὐρύς (eurus), meaning "wide, broad"[24] and ὤψ/ὠπ-/ὀπτ- (ōps/ōp-/opt-), meaning "eye, face, countenance",[25] hence Eurṓpē, "wide-gazing", "broad of aspect" (compare with glaukōpis (γλαυκῶπις 'grey-eyed') Athena or boōpis (βοὠπις 'ox-eyed') Hera). Broad has been an epithet of Earth itself in the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European religion.[26] Another theory suggests that it is based on a Semitic word such as the Akkadian erebu meaning "to go down, set" (cf. Occident),[27] cognate to Phoenician 'ereb "evening; west" and Arabic Maghreb, Hebrew ma'ariv (see also Erebus, PIE *h1regʷos, "darkness"). However, M. L. West states that "phonologically, the match between Europa's name and any form of the Semitic word is very poor".

Terps are usually built 'above' the ground too.

PS: Rather than exactly above - the word is 'over' = above.

Edited by The Puzzler, 25 January 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#9671    Van Gorp

Van Gorp

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 25 January 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

Evening might be a bit poor but I could see 'above' being more the word, since Hyperborea was termed in relation to it being beyond, or above also.

The name of Europa is of uncertain etymology.[23] One theory suggests that it is derived from the Greek εὐρύς (eurus), meaning "wide, broad"[24] and ὤψ/ὠπ-/ὀπτ- (ōps/ōp-/opt-), meaning "eye, face, countenance",[25] hence Eurṓpē, "wide-gazing", "broad of aspect" (compare with glaukōpis (γλαυκῶπις 'grey-eyed') Athena or boōpis (βοὠπις 'ox-eyed') Hera). Broad has been an epithet of Earth itself in the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European religion.[26] Another theory suggests that it is based on a Semitic word such as the Akkadian erebu meaning "to go down, set" (cf. Occident),[27] cognate to Phoenician 'ereb "evening; west" and Arabic Maghreb, Hebrew ma'ariv (see also Erebus, PIE *h1regʷos, "darkness"). However, M. L. West states that "phonologically, the match between Europa's name and any form of the Semitic word is very poor".

Terps are usually built 'above' the ground too.

PS: Rather than exactly above - the word is 'over' = above.

Concerning Hyperborea, Schrieck says it comes from

Uber-Boren:  

'Uber' same as over
'Boren' as 'border' (neighbours) -> overbuur.  

.. at the other side of the border

#9672    Otharus

Otharus

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 24 January 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Read the episode, and it will be clear as daylight that the suggested name of the mother, "Hel-licht" is not a personal name at all.
I don't see that. Please explain.

#9673    Otharus

Otharus

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostVan Gorp, on 24 January 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

Otharus, thnx for the info man.
On my list now also :-) Good stuff.
Enjoy the read!

#9674    Otharus

Otharus

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 24 January 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

Rules of conduct
The law of monuments is clear: "It is forbidden to do digging that has the aim to discover or to research (ancient) monuments".
Imagine someone would find something that would confirm the OLB...

That's not supposed to happen!!! It would cause a collapse of our dominant culture, a collective identity-crisis.

No, he/she would simply be accused of having created the find him/herself and ridiculed.

'Official' scientists would 'prove' that it is not ancient at all.

LOL

#9675    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,085 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 24 January 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

This sounds an interesting group to join, the Frisian Archaeology group for amateur archaeologist interest.

http://argyf.fryske-...rban/archeology

Rules of conduct

:ph34r:

It's not odd when you quote it in full:

Rules of conduct

The law of monuments is clear: "It is forbidden to do digging that has the aim to discover or to research (ancient) monuments". In Fryslân the Department Archaeology of the University of Groningen has the authorisation to do diggings. The Argeologysk Wurkferbân always does its fieldactivities with that Department. They also cooperate with Fries Museum and with the Rijksdienst Oudheidkundig Bodemonderzoek. For the members and their activities in the field countst: all investigations will be done according the rules of the law. So do not dig yourself in order to search for antiques (treasure digging), and report finds at once at the authorized instances. Because of these rules of conduct, we at Wurkferbân support the Frisian archaeology

It's a rule for amateurs.

What do you think, Puzz: can I go to Egypt, and start digging there near some pyramid?