Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fast-food workers demand higher wages

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,030 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 08 December 2012 - 03:37 AM, said:

Hello $13 #4's if this were to happen, goodbye fast food restaurants, hello unemployement line.

I am in no way mocking anybodies way of making a living but there really is a world of difference between building a car and building a hamburger. Are you saying the fast food industry should adopt the business strategy of GM? Big asss pensions

It's about worker protection (and by the way, I've never belonged to a union). Okay, cars/hamburgers, that might be a stretch for you. Let's meet midstream, so what's the difference between a computer made in China, and a computer made in the USA?

You can stick anyone on a conveyor built and teach them to make cars/hamburgers or computers. You don't have to go to college to make anyone of those things!

Edited by Likely Guy, 08 December 2012 - 04:42 AM.

#17    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 12,925 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

View PostK_Bonita, on 08 December 2012 - 04:19 AM, said:

That's too much to ask for working at a fast food restuarant, I had to actually go to college get working skills so I can make decent money to live.

What kind of skills do you need to have to work at fast food restaurant that make you say "hey I deserve to make $15 an hour"?...but this is just too much to ask for in my opinion

I normally would not do this but.......

One, I can not stand when people judge others by where they work. I am 47, will be losing my job in 5 days. ( I have worked since 17, had 6 jobs, 3 of them closed down, 10 years at 2 jobs, 5 at another, 4 at another, and 18 months at this one ). All of my " schooling " is on the job, and life experience/training. I can guarantee experience is more valuable, and better then a college course when it comes to the ability to do the job. I have seen this personally, although some places do not realize this. I had a $250,000 dollar home, that appraised up to $450,000, I had a nice truck, trailer, jet ski's, motorcycles....I lost them all, and I was starting over on this job that was supposed to be a 30 year job. I just might have to work somewhere like this, to survive. As, the skills I have are $20.00 a hour jobs and above, but are few and far between, and many would rather hire a 25 year old.
I also want to point out, I at one time delivered Pepsi, many of the convenience store managers had college educations, were making maybe $15.00 a hour, and that is $3.00 a hour less then me, a stupid truck driver.

My point is, just because someone is forced into working a lower paid job, does not mean they are dumb, not at all. It means they have the balls and can swallow their pride to take these jobs to survive and pay bills. They could just as easily go on welfare and give up, and I am happy they do not. The companies they work for make billions, if not trillions, and can easily afford to pay more.

I would also like to point out ( only because of the reply ) that most of the people working these jobs to survive can spell things like :

"restaurant" and "descent" to name a couple.

And can use proper grammar such as " I had to actually go to college to get working skills so I can make decent money to live.

Sorry, I had to.

Remember, the people you are ordering from may not be as dumb as you think. They just might be trying to support their families, and have not been able to find jobs that they could do, but are not available for various reasons.

Edited by Sakari, 08 December 2012 - 05:53 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#18    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,020 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

having worked in the fast food industry i can't say i blame them for wanting a better wage
it's a thankless and stressful job.

#19    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,030 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

That's too much to ask for working at a fast food restuarant, I had to actually go to college get working skills so I can make decent money to live.

What kind of skills do you need to have to work at fast food restaurant that make you say "hey I deserve to make $15 an hour"?...but this is just too much to ask for in my opinion

From what I see, $15/hour is a living working wage. It's not that much.

#20    Mako_Torriblaidd

Mako_Torriblaidd

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

• The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to keep me tame.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

I work at McDonalds... my time and work put in unless it is that peak moment of a rush is not worth $15 an hour... It's truly worth more like 5 with how much I actually do. So to make 7.25 is sweet.

#21    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PostSakari, on 08 December 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

Unemployment pays more then fast food jobs ( and many others ), you can not tell me something is not wrong with that.( and no one can live on unemployment, not comfortably anyway.)

Unemployment should not be comfortable.

#22    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 08 December 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

I fail to see what is wrong with expecting to earn a living wage.  Why are people okay with employers treating their staff like slaves who aren't even entitled to enough money to keep a roof over their head, pay the bills and food on the table?  $15 an hour is far from an outrageous claim by the employees.

I fail to see what is wrong with expecting people to get their heads out of their asses and actually learn a skill that can help support them during their life.

Do you know what a good plumber can make in NYC?  Or, say, a stagehand at a theater?  Or a banquet server at a hotel?  There's absolutely no reason to have to work in the fast food industry if you have any intelligence and motivation.  And then to b**** and moan that you don't make enough money?  The honest truth is that you simply aren't doing anything of value to merit such pay.

If you don't like it, better yourself.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#23    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,473 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

View Postsupervike, on 08 December 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

I guess I don't understand why business people are commended if they find a way to make extra money, but the workers are villified if they do the same.

This is the way of the capitalist society.  If those workers demand higher wages and there is a line of people willing to take their jobs, then obviously the market dictates that it's not sustainable.  If however the owner can't keep enough workers to meet the customers needs, they would be better served to pay more in wages.   They workers aren't greedy or jerks for trying to get more.  I say more power to them.
Go open a business. When you find a way to make extra money don't do it. Then if another opportunity arises don't take it. Welcome to your failed business that can't create jobs and likely wont sustain any either.
And there is nothing wrong with employees wanting more money. That's natural but its not their call. However, seeking and accepting the job was. $15/hr fast good wages will price fast food near or above your average decent restaurant. It'll cost more jobs than it will supply. You don't know how to run a business yet you're always one of the first to say how they should be run.

Posted Image

#24    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,519 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I can't blame them for wanting more... Who wouldn't like a pay raise? But they appear to be asking for more than a doubling in wages, benefits, and guaranteed full time with no restriction to overtime. They are so not going to get all that.

#25    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 12,925 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 08 December 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

Unemployment should not be comfortable.

That is my point.....It is NOT comfortable, and it pays more!

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#26    ImaLoner

ImaLoner

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostSakari, on 08 December 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

I normally would not do this but.......

One, I can not stand when people judge others by where they work. I am 47, will be losing my job in 5 days. ( I have worked since 17, had 6 jobs, 3 of them closed down, 10 years at 2 jobs, 5 at another, 4 at another, and 18 months at this one ). All of my " schooling " is on the job, and life experience/training. I can guarantee experience is more valuable, and better then a college course when it comes to the ability to do the job. I have seen this personally, although some places do not realize this. I had a $250,000 dollar home, that appraised up to $450,000, I had a nice truck, trailer, jet ski's, motorcycles....I lost them all, and I was starting over on this job that was supposed to be a 30 year job. I just might have to work somewhere like this, to survive. As, the skills I have are $20.00 a hour jobs and above, but are few and far between, and many would rather hire a 25 year old.
I also want to point out, I at one time delivered Pepsi, many of the convenience store managers had college educations, were making maybe $15.00 a hour, and that is $3.00 a hour less then me, a stupid truck driver.

My point is, just because someone is forced into working a lower paid job, does not mean they are dumb, not at all. It means they have the balls and can swallow their pride to take these jobs to survive and pay bills. They could just as easily go on welfare and give up, and I am happy they do not. The companies they work for make billions, if not trillions, and can easily afford to pay more.

I would also like to point out ( only because of the reply ) that most of the people working these jobs to survive can spell things like :

"restaurant" and "descent" to name a couple.

And can use proper grammar such as " I had to actually go to college to get working skills so I can make decent money to live.

Sorry, I had to.

Remember, the people you are ordering from may not be as dumb as you think. They just might be trying to support their families, and have not been able to find jobs that they could do, but are not available for various reasons.

I don't think anyone is judging where a person works. K_Bonita brings up a valid point.  A high school drop-out could do work in fast food.  Now, I'm not knocking high school drop-outs because they are capable of working hard, and hard work should count for something.  Fast food isn't something that requires any special prior knowledge or experience.  One could walk in one day after completing a day of high school, apply, and come in the next day to start.  No prerequisites there.  But if one pays for college and completes college, they are working toward a career.  I think that depending on the career field, the pay rate should be considerably more for them.  My step-dad worked as a "lowly" fixer for hosiery machines from the age of 17 on up.  He didn't even finish high school, and he's one of the most brilliant people I know.  He decided in his 40s to look for something which paid better.  He found it at a company run by Japanese businessmen.  It was the same line of work, only it paid MUCH more.  He stayed with the company for years, until they stopped doing hosiery.  He had to go back to work for a company which paid less - one where he'd worked before.  They offered him much more than they had paid before, but not nearly as much as the Japanese company.  He wasn't getting paid what he was worth, but he did what he had to do to take care of himself and his family.  There's no shame at all in working any job, as long as you are there every day, doing your best.  It's called work ethic.  Many fast food employees don't work as hard as they could.  I'm not saying all of them, but many don't.  I worked in fast food, and I wasn't ashamed when I did.  I saw many of my coworkers goof off daily.  As a customer, I've seen employees goof off.  I don't think unionization in this case is good, because it offers a blanket of protection for the ones who aren't actually, you know, working hard.  I have tremendous respect for people who go out every day and work as hard as possible to earn their money.  This means anyone who works hard, college educated or not.  Playing devil's advocate here, but do you think that maybe earning less money would be a big motivator for fast food employees to look for something which pays more?  I worked fast food as a stepping stone - you have to have a job to get a job (it's easier to get a job you want, if you already have a job).   The economy is bad, jobs are harder to come by, but demanding that everyone who works fast food get that amount of money is more than a little much.  I do think that for the employees who work hard, there should be an increase in their salaries, but not up to $15 an hour.  I know people who work much more difficult jobs who don't make nearly that amount.

#27    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 08 December 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

I fail to see what is wrong with expecting to earn a living wage.  Why are people okay with employers treating their staff like slaves who aren't even entitled to enough money to keep a roof over their head, pay the bills and food on the table?  $15 an hour is far from an outrageous claim by the employees.

$15 is very outrageous for fast food workers. Where I live line cooks in upper fine dinning restaurants may not even make $15 an hour. When I graduate next year with a degree in Culinary I will not be making $15 an hour, I'll be happy to make $12.

Edited by Odin11, 08 December 2012 - 07:23 PM.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#28    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I think some people here are failing to realize that fast food places can’t give their workers more. Do any of you know the average profit % that these restaurants make? Where I live the average profit % is less then 2%, which means for every dollar they make, they get less then $.02 in profit. They make up for it by selling high volume. Giving their workers $15 an hour would put them all out of jobs in just a few months.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#29    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Says who?  If the market dictates it, it's the exact amount.  Just like when someone thinks an NFL Quarterback makes too much money.  They make what the market dictates.

At one time working in a fast food restaurant was just a job to have when someone is just starting out.  It would be stepping stone to gain valuable work experience.

But, increasingly, it's becoming a job that people are using to try and raise a family.

#30    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 12,925 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

View PostOdin11, on 08 December 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

I think some people here are failing to realize that fast food places can’t give their workers more. Do any of you know the average profit % that these restaurants make? Where I live the average profit % is less then 2%, which means for every dollar they make, they get less then $.02 in profit. They make up for it by selling high volume. Giving their workers $15 an hour would put them all out of jobs in just a few months.

That I was about to post. I do not know the actual percentage they make, and I do know most are franchised. I do no Mac ( forgot last name ) who owns 4 McDonalds in the Reno are drives some sweet cars, has more then one house, and appears to be doing very, very well. I am pretty damn sure he can afford to give some higher pay, and still be living very comfortable. The problem is greed, as pointed out, these jobs ( fast food ) are now becoming jobs for people to support their families.

No one makes enough money in the " lower middle class"...teachers, Chef's, etc. to not live paycheck to paycheck.

I worked a "prevailing wage " job here for 2 years. The work I was doing was $48.00 a hour. Now, if I were doing that work at a non prevailing wage job, it would be around $15.00 a hour. How does that work?

Edited by Sakari, 08 December 2012 - 07:49 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users