Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cloned glow-in-the-dark rabbits created

Still Waters

Scientists have cloned a colony of rabbits that glow bright green in the dark, in an attempt to advance research into treatments for life-threatening illnesses.

Researchers based in Hawaii and Turkey produced a litter of eight rabbits, two of which glow green in the dark.

http://www.independe...ts-8756928.html

• Like 2

oh wow dont know weather to be disgusted or amazed

• Like 1

Well, at least they should be safe crossing the road at night.

lol your the best man you make me crack easy lol

• Like 1

Well they did glow in the dark cats a few years ago

• Like 2

Well they did glow in the dark cats a few years ago

lol what is the point of a glow in the dark cat and rabbit? just because they could?

• Like 1

It's not easy, glowing green (with apologies to Kermit the Frog).

• Like 1

Can you imagine... Late at night - very dark... There is a noise from outside so you peek out a window... and you see several brightly glowing green .... THINGS

moving about?....

• Like 1

Can you imagine... Late at night - very dark... There is a noise from outside so you peek out a window... and you see several brightly glowing green .... THINGS

moving about?....

Especially if it turns out to be guys wearing glow in the dark condoms!

• Like 4

lol what is the point of a glow in the dark cat and rabbit? just because they could?

They made the cat first, just in case the rabbits escaped!

The list of "glow-in-the-dark" or more precisely fluorescent (glowing under ultra-violet light) critters seems to be an ever expanding one. Zebra Danios (in several colors), Black Skirt Tetras (also in several colors), Tiger Barbs, I think I saw some GMO Freshwater Angelfish recently, mice, cats, pigs, monkeys (?, uncertain) and now rabbits, and probably others I have missed.

I sort of have a love/hate relationship with this. I love brightly colored aquarium fish, and this being on a genetic level is not like "tattooed" fish like mollies or "painted" Indian Glassfish; injecting dye into these animals kills many of them and seems extremely cruel. Since they are tropical by nature, these fish have little chance of "escaping" into more temperate climates, so their modifications should stay within the confines of the lab and home aquaria. I also talked to a fish breeder who said this "glow" will breed true, but only for a few generations, then they revert back to their original color (referring to the Tetras). That seems counterintuitive, but then I have not tried to breed them.

What may have started as useful bioassay animals like the Danios, seems to be finding its niche as "boutique" pets, and expensive ones at that. Seems a shame we can't be happy with the way these animals exist in the wild.

• Like 2

Especially if it turns out to be guys wearing glow in the dark condoms!

And that's why you keep a "glow-in-the-dark" LASER scope on your weapon of choice!

• Like 2

Well, I guess if this is somehow being done to further an understanding that can benefit humans with disease, I'm all for it.

• Like 1

rotfl

My relative: "Hey honey, I cant sleep. Why Not? Because you're glowing the dark!"

dog to cat: If I shook you up like a glow stick will you glow?

Cat: No

Dog shakes up cat

Cat: I do glow!

Dog: Bahahaha!

In other words: How is this actually helping humans? (or animals for that matter?)

Need a black light on them to make them glow.......Not exactly " glow in the dark ".

Seems so unnecessary and pointless. Just kind of mean.

Why is it mean? It’s not hurting the rabbits; the animals are not affected by the fluorescent protein and will have the same life span as other rabbits.

In other words: How is this actually helping humans? (or animals for that matter?)

They chose the fluorescent protein as a marker to show that a gene that was not originally in the animal now exists in the animal. The glowing is just an easy, and safe, way to do so.

Like a comment in the link said: "It’s a step forward in genetic engineering. If we stopped at every step that didn't seem useful on its own, we'd probably never have gotten penicillin".

• Like 1

Well, I guess if this is somehow being done to further an understanding that can benefit humans with disease, I'm all for it.

Yeah, just don't hold your breath, first would be some military gas that gets developed to expose the enemy, then it's the population's turn if ever...

Why is it mean? It’s not hurting the rabbits; the animals are not affected by the fluorescent protein and will have the same life span as other rabbits.

They chose the fluorescent protein as a marker to show that a gene that was not originally in the animal now exists in the animal. The glowing is just an easy, and safe, way to do so.

Like a comment in the link said: "It’s a step forward in genetic engineering. If we stopped at every step that didn't seem useful on its own, we'd probably never have gotten penicillin".

Like we need more genetic engineering or animal testing.

Do it to death row convicts, and then vivisect and behead THEM.

And penicillin was an accident. It was mold growing on a citrus fruit. They didn't do animal testing when they invented the original drugs.. and genetic engineering is just another huge money maker for big pharm.

Feh

Leave the bunnies alone

Edited by Simbi Laveau