Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I'm Now Afraid of the Dark

enigmagrl25

Prior to 1997, I had no fear of the dark what-so-ever. In fact, I use to walk down my parents' road, which is in the country(no street lights), at all hours of the night alone. Then something happened.

As I was walking down the road one night from a friend's house (about 3/4 mile from my parents' house) I heard a baby's cry. It startled me at first, but then I just wrote it off as a cat....I was in the country after all. So I continued walking. I was about 1/4 mile from my parents house, when all of a sudden a baby's face appeared in front of me right at eye level. I froze. I could not move for several minutes. When I finally could move, I ran back to the friend's house. I told the people there what had happened, still in tears and panicked. They ended up walking me home. But we didn't make it. At that same place, a feeling just rushed over me. I started panicking and could not move. I ended up spending the night at the friend's house. For months after that I would not go out at night by myself and I hated even being in a car driving at night. Since then I have adjusted to the point that I can Be in a dim room...as long as I have some source of light to focus on.

When I first told my husband about what had happened to me before I met him(trying to explain my fear of the dark), he laughed. My husband was not a believer, that is until he had his own experience.

My husband and I moved in with my parents for a while when we were considering buying their home. Their property, we have been told, was once a plantation in which hard to control slaves were sent. My husband went hunting in the back of the property one day. As he was walking down the path in the woods towards a creek at the back of the property, he heard leaves rustling. Then he heard what sounded to him like children playing. He didn't pay it much mind. He continued walking toward the creek. Then he actually SAW the leaves moving around in a circular pattern. He said he started to wonder, but again continued down the path. He arrived at the spot where he wanted to hunt. He crouched down for and waited. Everything was quiet for a while, but then something let out a big breath on the back of his neck. He told me that it sounded like it might have been a buck, so he turned around and aimed the gun. But there was nothing there. He neither heard anything walk up, or run away. That was the first experience he had, but not the last.

My older daughter has also freaked my husband and I out, because since she was a baby she has exhibited signs of seeing "things". Also, my best friend and I have both seen the same "thing" coming down my parents' stairway. I actually saw it first, about a week before she did. Then she was over visiting, sitting in the same spot as I was, and she kind of jumped. I asked her what was wrong, and she told me she had seen the same black figure walking down the stairs. I then told her about me having seen it.

Am I crazy?

crying.gif

Edited by enigmagrl25

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• enigmagrl25

• Solomonkey

• _Zombie_

• grc

Top Posters In This Topic

Has an experience like this had any lasting impact on anyone else (ie. my fear of the dark)?

I used to be scared of the dark... but that was because when i was young my dad used to tell me that a face came out of my wall at night to try and eat me.... nice (possible child cruelty!!)

ohmy.gif That is just mean grin2.gif . My fear is unusual I think, because it didn't even develop til I was 18.

And shame on your father....lol.

Thats not too odd. it sounds a bit like conditioning, however its not the dark you wanna be scared of... for i am no longer scared of the dark... its what might be in the dark!!!!

Ive seen odd stuff, believe me and now i have to sleep with music playing or i cant sleep at all.

Oh, trust me, I am definately more afraid of what might be in the dark. Thing is though.....the dark has a nasty thing of masking all the things that can harm you until it's too late to react.

And thankyou for not thinking me odd....even though I am grin2.gif

Ever since I was a child I was afraid of the dark. I remember having allot of sightings of ghosts at a glance and heard noises. I still do. I have to sleep with a night-light on or the light totally on to go to sleep.. tongue.gif I am not so scared anymore, but the shivers come every once in a while.. blink.gif

yikes old memories... *sigh* when i was a kid i was forced to sleep with no lights next to my toy dinosaur collection and even worse they were remote controlled.. leave it to good old mom to make me crap my pants every halloween *looks at the calendar* omg it's almost time for the awakening of the toys AAHHHH!!! (i hate mom for that) tongue.gif

I don't think you are crazy. Things do happen , things that we can't identify or explain, and most of these things do happen in the dark.

I know what you mean! I live in the country to, and my house it self isnt "haunted" persay. but there are spirits here, I know one is a lady in a white dress. the one time I saw her, she was crying into a large dress that looked like it was from the 1800's. When i was little I had no fear of the dark, but now I use a small night light. to avoid odd looks I tell people its "so I dont trip at night" wich, that is another thing its used for.

Im lucky though, the "spirits" if that what you want (or they want) to be called, dont seem interested in terrorising me. They understand (and I have openly told them before) that they scare the sh** out of me! Anyway, good luck original.gif

-Novo (latin for change)

I used to be afraid of the dark but then I just kinda stopped. I figure that whatever wants to hurt me can hurt me in the light as much as it could in the dark. Plus nothing really scares me anymore. laugh.gif

Unfortunately, I can not relate to your fear of the dark because I'm NOT afraid of the dark for more reasons than the time I have to list this post. grin2.gif

However, I don't believe that either You, your Husband, your Best Friend or nor your Eldest Daughter are crazy.

Some people seem to be "gifted" with the ability to "see" these "things." Perhaps you guys simply have this gift.

It's been said that there's nothing present in the dark that isn't present in the light. I am a huge believer in this wisdom.

I have seen the entities which are called "Shadow Creatures" many, many times. These are black apparitions, which I personally believe AREN'T stereotypical ghosts, but something else, most commonly appear inside homes at any time of the day or night, and they seem to disappear rather quickly. (I have posted a couple of Threads on THIS Forum about these entities.) This is what I believe you and your friend have seen in your parent's home.

The Baby's Face and the encounters that your Husband had are beyond my areas of experience, but I DON'T feel that ANY of the things that you guys have seen or experienced are Malevolent Spirits, therefore you shouldn't have any reason to fear them.

The bottom line,,,I suppose it just kinda "freaks you out" to come face-to-face with a bodiless baby-face at eye level, huh?

Keep Us Posted On How Things Are Going With You Guys!!!

i hate to admit it....but im still a little afraid of the dark. i dont care if that makes me a *****. but i hate it when i see shadows move out of the corners of my eyes when im laying in bed at night. thats probably the scariest part of my day. im really only scared when im by myself tho.

I saw a babies ghost once. Moonlit night coming through my bedroom window ,

sitting on the bed next to me up against the wall. It was so clear, picture perfect,

that I could see that its olden day frilly clothes which were much longer than its body,

were soaking wet. After it disappeared and I turned on all the lights, tv up loud

and all that , I thought about the hundred year old or so storm water trench

that runs through everyones backyard here. Even I and my next door neighbours used to muckaround in it when the floods were on.

All I could tell was this baby had drowned at the back by accident or something.

Why would this ghost or whatever be so clear that I could see that its olden day clothes were soaking wet if not that it had drowned in the area a hundred years ago.

Ihave never seen it since , maybe because I realised this ?

Thank's David for the insight on the shadow apparition.

The apparition itself appeared to be walking down the stairs and went around the corner into a downstairs hall. Both my friend and I, though we saw it at different times, initially thought it was one of my relatives walking down the stairs (we saw it out of the corner of our eye at first). However, when we turned to look head on, a shadowy figure went around the corner at the bottom of the stairs into the hall. I told her about having seen it like a week before. Talk about freaky.

Like I had said in an earlier posting, my parents live in a house that we were told was once part of a plantation. The house is 200+ years old and has had people die in it. One that we know of was a doctor who was renovating it to make it a country club. He died of natural causes. A lot of people that have come around do believe that the house is haunted, and growing up in that house I remember a lot of weird things happening there.

And I forgot, thankyou to all the other people who admitted their fear to me.

I myself am not afraid of the dark, seeing I use it to either avoid people or make them paranoid. grin2.gif I'll let your imagination continue that one. As for the ghosts. After living in Hawaii for a while, you begin to get used to random ghosts running around your town. It's when they interact with you, that's the part that kinda changes how fast you walk at night. If you know what I mean.