Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Coast to Coast

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    ohio state buckeyes

ohio state buckeyes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

I miss Ian Punnett  the show has lost all most of its credibility Wells and are hacks. George Knapp is the only good thing about it not on much

#2    Reverend Korey

Reverend Korey

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:12 AM

View Postohio state buckeyes, on 04 February 2012 - 02:37 AM, said:

I miss Ian Punnett  the show has lost all most of its credibility Wells and are hacks. George Knapp is the only good thing about it not on much

And again in English?

#3    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• 1,287 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:25 AM

Ian leaving was sad, especially over a health issue but he wasn't the best host on the show. He usually had what I thought of as soft peddled paranormal guests, or just flat out NON paranormal guests. I enjoyed him as a person on the show when he hosted but some of his chosen topics were very boring. John Wells is okay, he gets the real utter LOONS on which is really harkening back to the Art Bell days when he'd have open lines and discover the crazy stories (Mel's Hole, An Alien Blew up my Dog, etc). The best host is George Knapp and I wish they'd just give him the show every time he hosts, he has great topics, great stories and even if they aren't paranormal they are interesting. George Noory sadly has sort of just become a book hawker who interviews other book hawkers. If they don't have some supernatural hardback about angels and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel he just doesn't take an interest. Hopefully just as the show has evolved over the years, some good changes, some bad, the future will see some positive changes. Unless they let Rob Simone host more, he just plain sucks. I've never heard a bigger Hollywood butt kisser than that guy and yet he can't keep all the celebs he mixes with straight. Real poser.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#4    _Only

_Only

• 6,525 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

Coast to Coast losing its credibility?

*thinks back to the hilarious Art Bell days*

I don't think it had all that much credibility to begin with.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#5    Reverend Korey

Reverend Korey

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

View Postdarkmoonlady, on 04 February 2012 - 03:25 AM, said:

Ian leaving was sad, especially over a health issue but he wasn't the best host on the show. He usually had what I thought of as soft peddled paranormal guests, or just flat out NON paranormal guests. I enjoyed him as a person on the show when he hosted but some of his chosen topics were very boring. John Wells is okay, he gets the real utter LOONS on which is really harkening back to the Art Bell days when he'd have open lines and discover the crazy stories (Mel's Hole, An Alien Blew up my Dog, etc). The best host is George Knapp and I wish they'd just give him the show every time he hosts, he has great topics, great stories and even if they aren't paranormal they are interesting. George Noory sadly has sort of just become a book hawker who interviews other book hawkers. If they don't have some supernatural hardback about angels and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel he just doesn't take an interest. Hopefully just as the show has evolved over the years, some good changes, some bad, the future will see some positive changes. Unless they let Rob Simone host more, he just plain sucks. I've never heard a bigger Hollywood butt kisser than that guy and yet he can't keep all the celebs he mixes with straight. Real poser.

You mean it's the hosts who actually chose the guests and topics?

#6    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

I have never seen this programme so cannot comment on it, but if it sucks so bad, why do peeps watch it?  :unsure2:

#7    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:08 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 04 February 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

I have never seen this programme so cannot comment on it, but if it sucks so bad, why do peeps watch it?  :unsure2:

I believe people tune in because it used to be an entertaining and thought provoking radio program. But it currently doesnt live up to its past hosts after some people left and new faces were introduced.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#8    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 04 February 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

Because it's free  :tu:

Posted Image

#9    _Only

_Only

• 6,525 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:41 AM

View PostReverend Korey, on 04 February 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

You mean it's the hosts who actually chose the guests and topics?

I got the vibe that that was often the case. Especially with Punnett and Knapp.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#10    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,165 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

View PostHalloween78, on 04 February 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

Because it's free  :tu:

Nope, because it makes money off a scam that pleases brain dead listeners.

Edited by The Silver Thong, 04 February 2012 - 06:47 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#11    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,038 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

Yeah credibility.

#12    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• 1,287 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

When Art hosted years back, when the show was really at its best, the show was HUGELY entertaining. Even if you didn't believe any of it, the stories were captivating. George Noory has turned into a mostly interview show and his callers get cut off when they are attempting to tell good stories. Art had great guests but he relied on callers and he would let a story unfold (whether they were real or not who cares it was fun) but George can't do that for fear his book guests won't sell enough copies. Ian always took a more religious based bent to his stories because I believe he's a deacon.

As someone who listens almost nightly, I don't believe the majority of the stuff I hear but it's interesting to listen to and occasionally you learn things you didn't know. The overall quality if the shows has gone steadily down if not for a few really great guest hosts and those are the ones I check to see are hosting.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#13    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,187 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

I listened to Art Bell back in the late 80s early 90s when Coast to Coast slid into what used to be Larry King's overnight time slot on most networks. I LOVED Coast to Coast at that time. It was more a political and current events show back then, with only Sunday's being "Dreamland" Art's paranormal show. Back then, his Dreamland show was full of skeptism, good debate and some seroiusly WHACKY guests and callers. There were some epic funny shows where Art would pit Stanton Freidman against that douche Richard Hoagland and let them battle it out... Hoagland would always have a hissy fit and hang up on them. It was entertaining hilarity at its finest. At the time, Bell didn't agree and pander to every loon on his show. He held them to task more or less. If they were being over the edge nutcases, he'd call them on it.  Once Coast to Coast switched its format to all paranormal all the time, it was pretty good for a couple of years, then it just started to slide. His marriage started to tank, his kid went through a really rough incident and Art's show just floundered. It's been floundering ever since. In fact, it's been downright boring for 15 years.

But man, in those early years, there were some real characters on that show, both guests and callers alike. Mel from Mel's hole was a specific favorite of mine because I know Manastash ridge that he talked about pretty well, and when I heard that call live, I was actually driving through Ellensburg with a friend when we heard Mel call in. My screen name here is in reference to that show. I used to love hearing that loon "Mad Man Markham" who was trying to build a time machine, and there was also another caller whose name I can't recall now (Chainsaw Charlie? Or something like that) who used to call and rant and rave and no one ever knew what he was talking about. LOL. Art would just bait him night after night. Very funny. The lack of call screeners made the show so chaotic and so fun.

Around the same time, in the early 90s, we had a local Seattle show that aired on Saturday nights which was similar to Arts show, hosted by Laura Lee. She had this totally sexy smoky overnight radio voice and she was whip smart, and she had a lot of the same guests Art did, you'd hear Stanton Friedman on Saturday night on Laura's show, then you'd hear Friedman the following night on Art's Sunday Dreamland show again--she also put Friedman up against Hoagland more than once, generally with the same results, Hoagland would cry like a girl and hang up on them LOL. I used to just love Saturday and Sunday night radio. Not so much anymore. I can't think of an overnight radio host these days that I'd even consider listening to anymore. That's sad.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#14    Ghostfinder

Ghostfinder

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

^ That was a pretty cool read about the history of the show MMW.  I have listened to Coast to Coast on and off for about 10 years.  I enjoyed it more when I worked late nights, and still enjoy when I am out late and think about turning it on.  However, if I am at home I usually find something else to listen to or watch.  I don't need to believe everything in an episode to like listening to it.  Like posted above, if someone vehemently hates this show, or the hosts / guests, it is pretty easy to avoid.

#15    ohio state buckeyes

ohio state buckeyes

Psychic Spy

• 1,563 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

The few times I've listened to Wells he seems like  a loon.  Punnett and Knapp come across as level headed , George Noory is just way to new age for me. Sorry for errors when I started the topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users