Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Oregon man jailed and fined 1500$

Simbi Laveau

http://thecount.com/2012/07/28/we-own-the-rain-man-jailed-for-collecting-rainwater-on-his-property/

Yes folks,the US government now owns the rain .He's facing jail time .

Next,solar energy will be illegal,as I'm sure the US govt also owns light ........soon it will be illegal to breathe,as they own the air too ,I am sure.

• Like 1

Don't get a tan,they own sunlight . The darker you are,the higher your fine .Yah

The problem here is that there are so many now useless laws on the books it is not even funny anymore. In its day the reservoir law had a hygiene reason.

• Like 2

I collect rainwater during massive storms. It's an occult thing. Storm rain water can be used to do homage to my particular goddess,so I always have it in bottles.

I collect it myself,on my property . That's why this hit home for me.

Granted,I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts if they see me out on the lawns with bowls,during a massive thunder storm with high winds,but its got to be done during the storm,and actively .

So i get wet . No biggie .

Most municipalities encourage folks to collect rainwater. Heck, around here they give away free rain barrels because the rainwater overwhelms the drainage systems.

Here's another article with some more information... http://www.kpic.com/...-164206356.html According to this article, he didn't just harmlessly dig a couple holes and wasn't just collecting rainwater. He built reservoirs and dams that diverted flows.. and he's been doing it illegally for several years. He has been warned of his illegal actions, had to drain the reservoirs, opened the dams and filled them again.. There are legal ways of collecting and storing rainwater, he chose not to use them.

• Like 4

Here's another article with some more information... http://www.kpic.com/...-164206356.html According to this article, he didn't just harmlessly dig a couple holes and wasn't just collecting rainwater. He built reservoirs and dams that diverted flows.. and he's been doing it illegally for several years. He has been warned of his illegal actions, had to drain the reservoirs, opened the dams and filled them again.. There are legal ways of collecting and storing rainwater, he chose not to use them.

Good catch - there's usually a lot more to these kinds of stories.

Like the guy that was arrested for having a "prayer group" meet at his house - uh, no, he was running a church and had been thumbing his nose at building and fire codes for years.

• Like 1

Well, diverting flows is not exactly "catching rainwater", is it?

http://thecount.com/...n-his-property/

Yes folks,the US government now owns the rain .He's facing jail time .

Next,solar energy will be illegal,as I'm sure the US govt also owns light ........soon it will be illegal to breathe,as they own the air too ,I am sure.

You should check the stories before posting them.

• Like 1

I like the progression of this story. I was ready to post something anti-government, but then new information appeared. Nice story, and the guy is a true jasckass

• Like 1

Sometimes we find there is more to the story than we first read. Its good that on a forum like this all sides usually come out and we get a little closer to the truth.

Can't just change the flow of water because you want to, it affects others.

I caught this story on the morning network news and as usual they only tell enough to make it look like they want it to. "coming up, man goes to prison for collecting rain water",so much for investigative journalism. just tell us the whole story, unlike the news media or government believes, we can handle it

Sometimes we find there is more to the story than we first read. Its good that on a forum like this all sides usually come out and we get a little closer to the truth.

Can't just change the flow of water because you want to, it affects others.

What is what this story boils down to on closer scrutiny: This is not about rainwater, it is not even about taking water out of flowing bodies,this is about illegally building dams on streams. And dams on streams are subject to environmental regulation (where you can build them on your land too if you respect the applicable codes, especially those on fish migration).

The authors of the story seem to have been purposely misleading.

So I guess it is: move on, nothing to see here!

• Like 1

I still don't get where the governemnt has any right whatesoever to dictate what we do on our own property, unless it causes harm (whether by intent or stupidity) to someone other than ourselves.

Holy crap, three relpies in the time it took me to type that... neat.

What is what this story boils down to on closer scrutiny: This is not about rainwater, it is not even about taking water out of flowing bodies,this is about illegally building dams on streams. And dams on streams are subject to environmental regulation (where you can build them on your land too if you respect the applicable codes, especially those on fish migration).

The authors of the story seem to have been purposely misleading.

So I guess it is: move on, nothing to see here!

Ah, but their little story has become the lead story on every morning show in the country and, as we've proven, a topic of discussion around the world.

They made their bosses proud.

Yeah, but you are foolishly thinking that the facts matter in any form whatsoever. That doesn't go along with the plotlines these people want us to follow.

Frankly, I'm sick of the media trying to tell me what I should think. Give me the facts and let me decide for myself!

• Like 1

Frankly, I'm sick of the media trying to tell me what I should think. Give me the facts and let me decide for myself!

We can dream.

• Like 1

Don't shoot me,I'm only the piano player .

Well, diverting flows is not exactly "catching rainwater", is it?

I actually googled this,and read a couple of articles on this,as i didn't want to get it wrong. This wasn't in any of the articles I read .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

You should check the stories before posting them.

I DID ,and none of the resovoir information was out there,when i did.

This guy didn't build those dams on his property.... Somebody else made that happen.

i knew there had to be more to it than originally stated.

I actually googled this,and read a couple of articles on this,as i didn't want to get it wrong. This wasn't in any of the articles I read .

Shrug, I don't think you got it wrong Simbi, you put up a lot of good articles. Maybe we just have our search engines trained differently, or we used different words in our searches and so came up with different articles. Maybe it's just because I don't trust media and try to dig out whatever the other two sides of the coin are when I read an article that triggers my WTF response. Personally I don't think there's an unbiased media outlet in existence anymore- there is no such thing as the plain unvarnished truth in it's entirety given in the news.

Here's a link to the 2007 court of appeals on this case: http://caselaw.findl...ls/1347290.html

If you read through it the article I put up does not exactly match up either.

Here's another bit of spin: http://aquadoc.typepad.com/waterwired/

• Like 1