Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

1 dead, 600,000 without power

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,021 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Boston (CNN) -- A monster blizzard has left at least one person dead and hundreds of thousands of New Englanders in the dark and in the cold Friday night, thanks to a storm that's already delivered whipping winds and more than a foot of snow in some parts, with prospects of even double that by the time it's done.
The storm -- actually the convergence of two powerful systems -- began in earnest Friday morning in parts of New York and is expected to continue well into Saturday in Rhode Island, eastern Massachusetts and Maine.

http://www.cnn.com/2...zard/index.html

Some reports are coming in about the snow on the Eastern Seaboard... I know we got UM folks out there and I was wondering how folks are dealing with all the snow.... I'm seeing some reports of over 3 feet...  And geez the ES got smacked with Sandy just a few months ago...

So, how are our Eastern Seaboard UM folks doing? What's going on in your area?

#2    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I've said this before: I'm glad I live in the tropics -- only the occasional typhoon.

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

View Postrashore, on 09 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

http://www.cnn.com/2...zard/index.html

Some reports are coming in about the snow on the Eastern Seaboard... I know we got UM folks out there and I was wondering how folks are dealing with all the snow.... I'm seeing some reports of over 3 feet...  And geez the ES got smacked with Sandy just a few months ago...

So, how are our Eastern Seaboard UM folks doing? What's going on in your area?

NY ans NJ aren't in terrible shape. Long island got it worse than the city .
Connecticut and Mass got slammed . New haven CT got 34 inches ? Boston 23 or so

Miss me?

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 09 February 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

Connecticut and Mass got slammed . New haven CT got 34 inches ? Boston 23 or so
They can handle it.  If they can't a few politicians will be defeated next election.

#5    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,513 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

And people that live in places like Lake Tahoe, or Reno Nevada survive just fine with this every winter........

Same as " Hurricane force winds ".....On the East coast they are called hurricanes, on the Pacific Northwest, just another winter storm.

I think the East Coast needs to man up.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#6    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostSakari, on 09 February 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

And people that live in places like Lake Tahoe, or Reno Nevada survive just fine with this every winter........

Same as " Hurricane force winds ".....On the East coast they are called hurricanes, on the Pacific Northwest, just another winter storm.

I think the East Coast needs to man up.

When a state has it nromally they put resources into equipment etc for situations like this.

When an area who's officials don't normally have to put resources into this sort of thing have it come up on them like this, you can't blame them for being unprepared.

I bet those places with blizzards liekt his annualy have gritted/ploughed streets.

Their power lines etc are probably more insuluated and capable fo dealing with this as well.

Edited by Coffey, 09 February 2013 - 05:59 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#7    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,513 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostCoffey, on 09 February 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

When a state has it nromally they put resources into equipment etc for situations like this.

When an area who's officials don't normally have to put resources into this sort of thing have it come up on them like this, you can't blame them for being unprepared.

I bet those places with blizzards liekt his annualy have gritted/ploughed streets.

Their power lines etc are probably more insuluated and capable fo dealing with this as well.

In California, and Nevada, we use chains or cables on the tires. This is not legal in New York...Not sure why. No difference on the pavement, other then do to the extreme temperature changes, more maintenence is necessary.

Power lines are the same as far as I know, although most are now under ground.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#8    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

View PostSakari, on 09 February 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

In California, and Nevada, we use chains or cables on the tires. This is not legal in New York...Not sure why. No difference on the pavement, other then do to the extreme temperature changes, more maintenence is necessary.

Power lines are the same as far as I know, although most are now under ground.

Still the local authority will have better resources/equipment to deal with it.

Edited by Coffey, 09 February 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#9    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,513 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostCoffey, on 09 February 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Still the local authority will have better resources/equipment to deal with it.

Yes they will, better prepared. I am surprised ( considering every year a storm hits the east ) they are not better prepared.

I still say they need to man up :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#10    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostSakari, on 09 February 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Yes they will, better prepared. I am surprised ( considering every year a storm hits the east ) they are not better prepared.

I still say they need to man up :)

Haha.

I didn't know they got storms that often. Is ti always snow though?

#11    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,513 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostCoffey, on 09 February 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

Haha.

I didn't know they got storms that often. Is ti always snow though?

New York, every year. :)

I have never personally been there, just see stories on the news about the " heat " and about the " cold" and about 120 MPH hurricanes....

I do laugh a bit, as a winter storm ( yearly ) here has winds of over 125 MPH at Cape Blanco alone, we got more then 120 inch's of rain in 2012. In Nevada, I shoveled snow every year from my drive way, I had to chain up my Pepsi truck every winter. In the Summer, it would get well over 100 Degrees.

It just seems things on the East coast that are considered " bad, or hard " are just routine yearly things on the west.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#12    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

might hit 60 here.just did my first pre last  frost planting yesterday.  Hope that death toll stays low. Its often when the power goes out the unprepared start to suffer.

Edited by AsteroidX, 09 February 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,754 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

We only had about 8 inches here in Albany.

My wife's cousin in Hartford, CT, however had more than 3 feet.  He's been shoveling his driveway for about 6 hours now.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#14    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,087 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

We were supposed to get 6-12 inches here in Eastern Pennsylvania, but ended up with 4-5. The weatherman had no idea what was going to happen last night. I didn't get home from work until after noon today, but all is well here.
I think when storms hit the east coast, it isn't so much the intensity as it is the number of people it impacts. You're looking at major cities with populations in the millions without mentioning all the other parts of the states and the impact on those people. From NYC to Maine, the population is well around 100 million. It's much more dense than the west.
Actually, the snow stretches from Philadelphia, but the major snowfall is from Long Island NY up.
I'm in the purple area between Allentown and the Poconos.
http://abclocal.go.c...8986203&photo=1

Wondering how Lilly is doing. I know she's up by Boston.

Edited by susieice, 09 February 2013 - 09:47 PM.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#15    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,513 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

View Postsusieice, on 09 February 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

We were supposed to get 6-12 inches here in Eastern Pennsylvania, but ended up with 4-5. The weatherman had no idea what was going to happen last night. I didn't get home from work until after noon today, but all is well here.
I think when storms hit the east coast, it isn't so much the intensity as it is the number of people it impacts. You're looking at major cities with populations in the millions without mentioning all the other parts of the states and the impact on those people. From NYC to Maine, the population is well around 100 million. It's much more dense than the west.
Actually, the snow stretches from Philadelphia, but the major snowfall is from Long Island NY up.
I'm in the purple area between Allentown and the Poconos.
http://abclocal.go.c...8986203&photo=1

Wondering how Lilly is doing. I know she's up by Boston.

Good point. :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users