Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FBI Targets Animal Cruelty as a Serious Crime

Insanity

A recent decision by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) means animal cruelty crimes will soon be included within the Uniform Crime Report (UCR) - National Incident Based Reporting System — an action that will most certainly advance how law enforcement officials understand and act to prevent these often violent crimes.

When this change goes into effect in 2015, federal law will regard animal cruelty as a crime against society and a Group A offense, a category that includes crimes of a serious nature, including arson, burglary, kidnapping and homicide.

http://www.livescience.com/48343-fbi-targets-animal-cruelty-as-serious-crime.html

• Like 3

Animal cruelty is a serious crime, there is a correlation between how people treat animals and their predisposition to commit serious crimes against other humans. There has been more than one serial killer jailed who cut their teeth by being cruel to animals first and evolved into abuse, then finally murder of humans later.

*disclaimer, this is not to say that all children who have been cruel to animals will grow up to be serial killers, most do grow out of that kind of behavior when they become aware of the pain they are inflicting and their empathic attributes can mature to put a stop to such behavior too*

• Like 2

I love animals. I have two dogs and two birds.

As Libstak says...people that are cruel toward animals...well...it's kind of an indicator of how they will treat humans as well.

But...who is going to determine the rules here? Anytime there is an open door for "interpretation of the law" from any GOV organization...I get a little concerned...regardless of the good intent. Time has shown us how out of hand "opinion" can get and the witch hunts that can get started...

• Like 1

"FBI Targets Animal Cruelty as a Serious Crime " - Good! You should see some of the stories I come across when looking for news. What some people do to animals is just horrific.

• Like 4

It bothers me what some people do to animals. There are some horrible videos you can find on the internet.

Thats all fine and dandy, but until they make the sentencing fit the crime, this is nothing.

The sentencing for animal cruelty is a joke.

• Like 1

We've got a "mystery animal abuser" here in my hometown ATM, everyone's a little on edge ... so far they've eviscerated a cat, coated another with some sort of poison (in the space of a few minutes) and there's been a spate of animal disappeances.

We've got a "mystery animal abuser" here in my hometown ATM, everyone's a little on edge ... so far they've eviscerated a cat, coated another with some sort of poison (in the space of a few minutes) and there's been a spate of animal disappeances.

Sick.....Hope they catch him or her.....Even if they do, the sentence won't be squat.

We have a similar problem in our area. I saw a sign a few days ago asking for any info on someone who was drowning dogs. There was a 1000 dollar reward. The thought of it makes me sick.