Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Toys

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart

SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

• Its like in the great stories. The ones that really mattered, full of darkness and danger they were. Sometimes you didnt want to know the end

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

has anyone knows or experienced a toy or appliance or gadget (anything really) that runs on battery/mains, that was turned off, BUT still was working.
I had a spooky experience, where in the middle of the night my daughters laptop started saying A, moments later A again moments later A again moments later T. And the "moments" differ
As some of you readers may know, I always had a very eerie going ons with me. So I got my wife to check it out. I went along too, and saw the toy laptop.
The laptop switch was turned off and one of the battery was missing, (which my daughter put into one of her other toy) and there was nothing placed upon the keypads of the laptop...

Posted Image

#2    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

What else has happened?

#3    SubjectDigamma

SubjectDigamma

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Sell it or burn it

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

If that thing is working on its own it time to go.

#5    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,277 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

fire alarms do this....unplugged, no batteries, yet will still beep.

Electonics, stored energy, etc.....

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,208 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostSkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart, on 21 January 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

has anyone knows or experienced a toy or appliance or gadget (anything really) that runs on battery/mains, that was turned off, BUT still was working.
I had a spooky experience, where in the middle of the night my daughters laptop started saying A, moments later A again moments later A again moments later T. And the "moments" differ
As some of you readers may know, I always had a very eerie going ons with me. So I got my wife to check it out. I went along too, and saw the toy laptop.
The laptop switch was turned off and one of the battery was missing, (which my daughter put into one of her other toy) and there was nothing placed upon the keypads of the laptop...

Maybe twice. Once is was a big boom box . I moved it upstairs after that . Totally creeped me out . It's still up there.
I tried to use it recently ,and it was broken .No idea how. Just thinking to out it out with the trash next collection day .

All dragons know that story.
What was to be their hope became their doom; a spoiled ungrateful child was given a great gift and destroyed it!

#7    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,051 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

What do you do,when the litter bin lid keeps flipping off,when no one is near ?

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#8    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 35,911 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostSakari, on 22 January 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

fire alarms do this....unplugged, no batteries, yet will still beep.
I can vouch for this. Our fire alarm drove us nuts once.

Posted Image

#9    chazrich

chazrich

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• I ate what?

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

I build electronic devices as a hobby and vouch for the fact that it isn't uncommon for electronic devices to remain charged after the battery is removed. As several people have pointed out here smoke alarms are notorious for this. Additionally devices that work with radio frequencies can sometimes build up parasitic energy through their antennas that can in rare cases be used to run the device. Basically any device with large capacitors, which work like very small batteries to temporarily store or filter power, can and will come to life on occassion. It's more rare these days as electronics get smaller, but it happens.

In the case of this toy I'm sure I could solder a bleeder resistor between one leg of the large capacitor causing the problem and the ground and you'd never hear from the toy in the middle of the night again.

Edited by chazrich, 27 January 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#10    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,277 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

View Postchazrich, on 27 January 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

I build electronic devices as a hobby and vouch for the fact that it isn't uncommon for electronic devices to remain charged after the battery is removed. As several people have pointed out here smoke alarms are notorious for this. Additionally devices that work with radio frequencies can sometimes build up parasitic energy through their antennas that can in rare cases be used to run the device. Basically any device with large capacitors, which work like very small batteries to temporarily store or filter power, can and will come to life on occassion. It's more rare these days as electronics get smaller, but it happens.

In the case of this toy I'm sure I could solder a bleeder resistor between one leg of the large capacitor causing the problem and the ground and you'd never hear from the toy in the middle of the night again.

Awesome post.......Welcome to UM

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#11    notforgotten

notforgotten

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

• Those who could not hear the music thought those who were dancing to be insane.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Capacitors store electricity and my be an answer to your mystery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users