Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you believe happens after death?

Curious16yearold

I was wondering all of your thoughts. I am sorry if this question is asked 1000 times lol.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nyuk

• White Crane Feather

• Habitat

• Squit

When you die,.............You either get cremated or........

They put you in a wooden box

and cover you up with stones and rocks.

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out

they go in thin, but come out stout

your teeth fall in, your eyes pop out

your brains come dribbling down your snout.

Any other questions? :innocent:

Edit. Seriously though,, at 16 yrs old you should be thinking instead of how you will live your life. The answer to your question will come to you eventually. :rolleyes:

Edited by Englishgent

I was wondering all of your thoughts. I am sorry if this question is asked 1000 times lol.

Yup. All biological and metabolic processes cease and the body decays.

As for the so-called "soul"...science has yet to determine the existence of it so it is safe to assume that when the body goes then it is lights out, show's over....like turning off the computer forever.

The "you" that you think exists was only an amalgamation of brain functions and when the brain goes...so does the neural network that supported everything. Toodles....Ta-Ta...Bye-Bye...

I died for 7 minutes 4 years ago due to a stroke I had. During the time they lost me, I was aware of everything going on...and that's all I'll say. It's something I don't like to go into detail about really. But I did indeed know everything happening, past that I keep the details to myself. I came out of that stroke blind for a month before my vision returned, and it took 3 months of physical therapy to walk again. Today, I'm back to 100% normal except for some leftover problems with bright lights and nerve damage to my left arm. I worry about living now..not death. Honestly I have no fear of death now. And no, I'm not a Christian...nor do I have any religious beliefs that I'm trying push. Everyone, especially someone as young as 16, should just live and enjoy it. Death will take care of itself when the times comes.

As for the so-called "soul"...science has yet to determine the existence of it so it is safe to assume that when the body goes then it is lights out, show's over....like turning off the computer forever.

The "you" that you think exists was only an amalgamation of brain functions and when the brain goes...so does the neural network that supported everything. Toodles....Ta-Ta...Bye-Bye...

Better not to assume that, IMO.

Personally? I believe that there's a Heaven, and that before that there's a Purgatory. After that I'm one of those "Heaven is what you imagine it to be" people.

I know, however, one day I'll find out, or not, depending on what actually happens. I live my life with the full hope of Heaven and the thought that if there isn't one, best to have fun now.

For me a “near death experience” (such as tattomike had), and actually being dead are two entirely different things. I mean people who are actually dead never come back to talk about it – they stay dead – that’s what it is by definition.

My father said to me once – do you remember what it was like before you were born? That’s pretty much what it will be like after you die. Makes perfect sense to me. One thing you can be sure of – you’ll get as many different opinions as people you ask – and you know what....nobody knows for sure. There is no factual answer to that one!

Every rational impulse tells us it is impossible for us to re-appear, after death, on the 'other side'. But is reality 'rational' ? It seems to me that the entire consist of the workings of our rational processes is an epi-phenomenon, one that serves a vital purpose, but ultimately does not break through the riddle of existence. I asked a loved one who had not long to live to 'send a sign' if she made it to the other side.....I have to say that request has been answered, and repeatedly. I had next to zero expectation this would be fulfilled, and had all but forgotten the conversation....but that little mustard seed of faith sprouted.

From what we know this would be the case. The final nail in the coffin so to speak. Anything else is pure speculation. We are born of the earth and return to the earth. Sorry if that sounds a bit tree huggy but it`s truth not belief. To expect or imagine or wish there is something more could be debated by a thousand different faiths. However the biological process can not be denied.

Better not to assume that, IMO.

So it is better to adhere to a religious point of view rather than a logical and scientific one?

So it is better to adhere to a religious point of view rather than a logical and scientific one?

You can have both, I don't see any real contradiction in it, but just don't assume we know, or even can know, and certainly not 'on demand'..

You can have both, I don't see any real contradiction in it, but just don't assume we know, or even can know, and certainly not 'on demand'..

According to that, after death we could find ourselves anywhere including the land of the Smurfs or we could think. What would be accurate, we go back to the earth and provide food for the next generation of living things. That being as what happens. Or should happen. The biggests assumption of all of mankind is the assumption of an afterlife, and that we somehow know about it or presume to know what it is. Nothing more on this planet speaks of assumption more so. The contradiction is that man made religion tells us such things.

According to that, after death we could find ourselves anywhere including the land of the Smurfs or we could think. What would be accurate, we go back to the earth and provide food for the next generation of living things. That being as what happens. Or should happen. The biggests assumption of all of mankind is the assumption of an afterlife, and that we somehow know about it or presume to know what it is. Nothing more on this planet speaks of assumption more so. The contradiction is that man made religion tells us such things.

The belief in the persistence of the personality beyond death far pre-dates organized, formal religions. Native peoples the world over were heavily into belief in spirits of dead ancestors etc, my own experience causes me not to scoff at such possibilities.

The belief in the persistence of the personality beyond death far pre-dates organized, formal religions. Native peoples the world over were heavily into belief in spirits of dead ancestors etc, my own experience causes me not to scoff at such possibilities.

Of course there were such beliefs. These beliefs were created due to a single factor, the fear of death. Nobody wants to think all we have is maybe 70 years on this planet let alone 20-30 yrs back in the day. It makes perfect sence to create such a belief to ease the fear however it does not make a fairy tale true. I have told children lies to ease there fear, no different. The really sad thing is that some folks way back when took these fears and used them to create religion. In doing so creating a false fear that they can and have monopolized on, to this day.

I do not scoff because these beliefs are real yet used in a way that is not benificial. If ancient beliefs still stood true then we would see people being killed on every street corner as a court of law would be meaningless to a mob of believers no matter the flavor. We often see this in very poor nations with little to no education.

As far as my experience, I don't have a supernatural or religious view towards it at all. It bothered me for a long time that I can't explain it, but it didn't have any earth shaking effect on me that changed my outlook or way of living. Maybe there is a perfectly rational explanation for being aware and able to be in the room watching as the doctors work on your dead body...maybe it lies with the dream response somehow as the brain is dying. All I can say is that it was my experience, and I have no explanation for it. It does make me much, much less afraid of death...I can't lie about that. It sure beat total darkness and well, nothing....which is exactly what I expected to be honest.

Of course there were such beliefs. These beliefs were created due to a single factor, the fear of death. Nobody wants to think all we have is maybe 70 years on this planet let alone 20-30 yrs back in the day. It makes perfect sence to create such a belief to ease the fear however it does not make a fairy tale true. I have told children lies to ease there fear, no different. The really sad thing is that some folks way back when took these fears and used them to create religion. In doing so creating a false fear that they can and have monopolized on, to this day.

I do not scoff because these beliefs are real yet used in a way that is not benificial. If ancient beliefs still stood true then we would see people being killed on every street corner as a court of law would be meaningless to a mob of believers no matter the flavor. We often see this in very poor nations with little to no education.

Wrong. Those beleifs were absolutely not created from fear of death. They were observed from shamanic trance. truly spiritual or not, the foundations of spirituality have a beginning in actual experiences not fluffy wishful thinking. This is a stance skeptics like to take who do not push themselves to try and understand the depths of why people beleive what they do. NDEs being one of them. A documented and measurable human condition.

You don't have to beleive in anything spiritual, but you cannot possible look at our current body of emphirical knowledge analytically and continue follow the wishful thinking hypothesis. There are much better empirical theories.

Life is eternal one way or another. The only way permanent death is possible is if a Christian god that yu did not accept kills your soul. yikes!!!! I have no reason to beleive that. It makes god seem like a mortal combat character.

Matter can only be arranged in so many different ways. Evenchually or vastly far away in distance it in time 10^500 this same universe repeats itself. It's an undeniable consequence of a mechanical existence.

In essence you will and have always existed.

Edited by Seeker79

Dying is expensive, unless you get eaten by a shark or whisked away by aliens to parts unknown, it will cost $$$ to despatch you. A no-win situation.

Other people get all your possessions.

Dying is expensive, unless you get eaten by a shark or whisked away by aliens to parts unknown, it will cost $$$ to despatch you. A no-win situation.

Yeah what's with that? Just leave me out in the woods and let the bugs and animals get some use.

I feel like, when you die, it'd be just like before you were born. Nothing. And then that might be the beginning of a new life. I personally believe in reincarnation, so I don't know, that all makes sense to me.

The whole Heaven and Hell aspect doesn't really make much sense to me, but I can understand that. I'm not bashing on anyone's religion here either. I respect it all.

I believe in reincarnation.

I dont mean coming back as a blade of grass or a fish etc.

I believe we are reborn, then live our next lifetime as a person.

I think some people may remember tiny things from their previous lives.

Generally people remember nothing.

that answer will be answered when your death, so just enjoy life :)

i liken it to what it was like before i was born

i have no idea.

i like to believe that i am timeless. i like to believe that in some form i will still exist after my body is dead.

the big question is what is the 'i'?

i as in my personality? i as in my physical essence? i as in the energy force that i am?

after my son died i decided that there has to be something more - it is easier to accept that he is no longer accessible to me on this earth.

does that make me wrong?

again, i have no idea.