Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

YouTube to start charging a fee

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

YouTube, owned by Google, is reportedly introducing a paid subscription service for up to 50 of its specialty channels later this week.

http://news.yahoo.co...-143227063.html

Don't think I'm going to like this.

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,086 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

"paying for a subscription may remove the ads, reports the Daily Mail."

considering that right next to that story is an immensely irritating (even with the sound off) ad for Snickers, that doesn't seem all that much a bad idea, I have to say.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

I use Google Chrome as my primary browser. I installed a few select plugins years ago and I haven't dealt with a single YouTube ad since. I actually forget that all the popular videos have a 15sec. advertisement as my plugins block those too! I have a very ad-free browsing experience in general. To anyone who hasn't done something similar, I highly, highly recommend it.

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,120 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Well now you must share the names of these plugins. :P

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,578 posts

include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostKasey2601, on 06 May 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

Well now you must share the names of these plugins. :P

Adblock Plus (1.4) blocks all YouTube ads. It's a free download you get through Chrome itself. Just go to settings-->extensions-->"Get More Extensions" and search for it there :)

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#6    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE-
'the web search giant has been trying to monetize its video streaming service since it bought YouTube in 2006 for a whopping  $1.6billion'

http://www.fool.com/...aming-wars.aspx
does it really come as any suprise to anyone....?
in fact, the only suprising thing really, is that it took them so long to do it!

Edited by shrooma, 06 May 2013 - 07:51 PM.

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#7    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,086 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

View Postshrooma, on 06 May 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

QUOTE-
'the web search giant has been trying to monetize its video streaming service since it bought YouTube in 2006 for a whopping $1.6billion'

http://www.fool.com/...aming-wars.aspx
does it really come as any suprise to anyone....?
in fact, the only suprising thing really, is that it took them so long to do it!
Holy Mother of God, "monetize"? Please take that journalist out and shoot him, eventually, after torturing him for a bit.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#8    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,564 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

This is good news for Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#9    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

Ad block works well.

#10    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 06 May 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Holy Mother of God, "monetize"? Please take that journalist out and shoot him, eventually, after torturing him for a bit.
after i'd started typing, I even had to go back to the web page to make sure i'd got it right!
:-o

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#11    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 06 May 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Adblock Plus (1.4) blocks all YouTube ads. It's a free download you get through Chrome itself. Just go to settings-->extensions-->"Get More Extensions" and search for it there :)

I swear by Adblock plus as well. best plugin ever. :tu:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#12    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,578 posts

include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostCoffey, on 06 May 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

I swear by Adblock plus as well. best plugin ever. :tu:

Kind of ironic that they are trying to "monetize" YouTube, yet Google themselves offer a free browser plugin that instantly removes ALL advertising lol

- Roosevelt

#13    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 06 May 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

Kind of ironic that they are trying to "monetize" YouTube, yet Google themselves offer a free browser plugin that instantly removes ALL advertising lol

Haha, yeah.

I should have said before, it's on Firefox as well. I use it on Firefox.

What I like the most in the UK is that the on demand TV sites have ads and it blocks them as well. lol

#14    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,578 posts

include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostCoffey, on 06 May 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

Haha, yeah.

I should have said before, it's on Firefox as well. I use it on Firefox.

What I like the most in the UK is that the on demand TV sites have ads and it blocks them as well. lol

Oh sweet! Yeah I haven't had actual TV for a few years now...the internet has really taken off with the amount of free, available media. My wife actually goes to the official websites of stations that host the shows she watches and she can watch entire episodes right there! (With commercials appropriately timed throughout the episode, mostly to break up the stream into smaller segments but we don't mind since we never really see ads anymore :) )

- Roosevelt

#15    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 06 May 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

Oh sweet! Yeah I haven't had actual TV for a few years now...the internet has really taken off with the amount of free, available media. My wife actually goes to the official websites of stations that host the shows she watches and she can watch entire episodes right there! (With commercials appropriately timed throughout the episode, mostly to break up the stream into smaller segments but we don't mind since we never really see ads anymore :) )

Same in our house, we stopped paying the TV license last year and never looked back. Internet is amazing, I just hope it stays that way and UN doesn't clamp down on it. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users