Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Satanism: Another look at the spiritual "war"

Arpee

And who's fault is this? Satanists? Atheists (Non-believers)? Or the people actually doing the killing like the God believers?

Neither, it is a fault within us, a need to put blame onto those we do not like, the "other"

No

The one referred to as "Darkness" by the Christians and Jews the named "Satan".

The one referred to as "Darkness" by Ancient Egyptians they called "Set".

This is basic information found on Wikipedia.

There are two phenomena that need to be kept straight. One is where a religion identifies a given deity with the deity of another group. The Jews identified their angel Shatan with the Zoroastrian deity.

There is another phenomenon of back-identification, where after the fact people link deities. This happened with the serpent in Eden with Satan, and it may be with Satan and Set, given certain similarities.

There are two phenomena that need to be kept straight. One is where a religion identifies a given deity with the deity of another group. The Jews identified their angel Shatan with the Zoroastrian deity.

Actually The Zoroastrian deity of darkness was called "Ahriman".

The Yezedis believed in an angel named "Shatan" though.

There is another phenomenon of back-identification, where after the fact people link deities. This happened with the serpent in Eden with Satan, and it may be with Satan and Set, given certain similarities.

It was the bible that called "The Serpent" and "The Great Dragon" Satan:

"So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan" - Revelation 12:9

The Christians referred to the being of Darkness as "Satan"

The Ancient Egyptians referred to the being of Darkness as "Set".

Satan, Set, Great Dragon, Serpent, Devil, Chaos, Ahriman, whatever you choose to call him - is referring to that "Being of Darkness"

And Darkness being the Force of Chaos, Change, Rebirth (as Egyptians Understood it)...

When I go to Temple I get on my knees and bow to the big Buddha they generally have, and twice a day I light joss sticks before the shrine in my house to my parents.

Most people call this "worship," but that makes no sense. I'm fully aware that the Buddha is dead or in Nirvana (if that is something other than "dead"), and my parents have long ago reincarnated, so there is nothing to worship.

Commemoration by means of traditional ritual expression is how I see it.

Now as to "worship" by serving and obeying, what is wrong with the words "serving" and "obeying?"

Hear hear, from the dirt worshiping, tree hugging, hippie, Druid. :nw:

• Like 1

The one referred to as "Darkness" by the Christians and Jews the named "Satan".

The one referred to as "Darkness" by Ancient Egyptians they called "Set".

This is basic information found on Wikipedia.

Abrahamic faith is of no consequence to me and I see Christians as atheists.

Set is not the equivalent of "Satan", and I have more in my head about this than a million wiki articles. It is not a clear divide between good and evil. If Set was "Satan" then why did Egyptians take the name of Set as their own? and one famous instance is that of Seti I, the father of Ramesses II. In AE religion there is no Hell, no "Prince of Darkness" ruling there. Hell is simply a deliberate missuse of the name of the Germanic god of the underworld, Hell. This Abrahamic religion has corrupted everything, everything about AE and about the religions of pre-Christian Europe. I believe nothing from this religion, least of all this nonsense about "Satan", who is NOT Set.

• Like 1

Abrahamic faith is of no consequence to me and I see Christians as atheists.

I'm not talking about "Abrahamic" faith either (except when I mentioned to Frank that Satan was indeed identified with The Dragon and The Serpent).

It is not a clear divide between good and evil.

Did I saw there was? I said Satan represents Darkness and Chaos (Change) while God represents Light and Unity (Control, Harmony). If you want to see that as "evil" that is your opinion but Satan / Set just represents darkness and chaos.

If Set was "Satan" then why did Egyptians take the name of Set as their own? and one famous instance is that of Seti I, the father of Ramesses II

Because they didn't have biased beliefs that Darkness was evil like the Abrahamic Faith does/did. Ancient Egyptians associated Darkness and Chaos (Change) with rebirth.

In AE religion there is no Hell, no "Prince of Darkness" ruling there.

I didn't say anything about "Hell" or a ruler of hell. The idea of Hell with fire seemed to be a way to control people by making them scared of eternal torment.

This Abrahamic religion has corrupted everything, everything about AE and about the religions of pre-Christian Europe. I believe nothing from this religion

Well, on this part, we both agree. I don't believe anything from Abrahamic religions either. They took from the ancient religions such as The Epic of Gilgamesh to make The Story of "Noah's Ark". The story of Eden was also stolen from The Sumerian Texts. Satan (The idea of Darkness) and God (The idea of light) whether it be actual darkness and light or a "being" which represents it - was stolen as well and the name/title may be different and "Darkness" became considered as evil instead of a force of change, difference, chaos, rebirth as the ancient saw it.

Most people , Abrahamic faith or not, understands the dark force to be "Satan", that is the most popular name and that's the one I'm using. I also like the name "Chaos" (From Greek Mythology) and "Abzu" (From Sumerian Texts) , but now "Chaos" is just seen as a concept not a living force, so Satan is the best name.

The way Abrahamic faiths talk about Satan is a misrepresentation of what Satan (Darkness) actually is - like I said before The Ancients knew Darkness to be Change, Difference, and Rebirth....

Edited by Arpee
  • Like 2

The way Abrahamic faiths talk about Satan is a misrepresentation of what Satan (Darkness) actually is - like I said before The Ancients knew Darkness to be Change, Difference, and Rebirth....

Well, perhaps I misinterpreted you. It is difficult to esape our own cultures, the weight of history is difficult to remove. So it is very easy to use the terms that have been hammered into our ancestors heads for countless generations. Perhaps Satan is the wrong word in the context you use, it is too wrapped up with Hell and Christianity. This is why I say that Set is not Satan. Though about "Chaos", well AE believed Ra came from Chaos, and therefore we are all from Chaos, though I do not equate Chaos with any evil, and I suspect neither do you.

• Like 1