Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Contradictions in the bible

• Please log in to reply
591 replies to this topic

#46    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,047 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 13 October 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

There are lots of sources.

But none come to mind?

fullywired

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#47    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,208 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 13 October 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

We dont have anyone here with biblical knowledge anymore? What happened to PA? There were a few others as well. I cant believe no one has come to the defense of the bible. Anyhow, I used to study up on all the so called contradictions. I have yet to see one where it holds water. Things are taken outta context, there have also been ligit translation difficulties, ect ect. Id go into it, but no one comes to a thread like this to learn anything. But just know this, there isnt a single so called contradiction that hasnt been throughly debunked.
I'm no scholar the way PA and some others here are, Preacherman76 but I don't see any reason to try to convince people to believe in something they have thoroughly rejected.  These threads seem to pop up occasionally and run for a few pages until everyone gets some of the vitriol out of their system then they die out.  No one gets convinced of anything one way or another.  As I stated earlier, the only problem I have with threads like this is that they add nothing positive to anyone's life.  In a time when the whole world is spinning out of control and darkness of one kind or another is burgeoning, having a group hatefest over one of the few positive influences in modern life doesn't seem very productive to me.  It's not an attack on non believers.  I genuinely support their right to believe what makes them comfortable - whether I find it to be error or not.  It seems to me to be an expression of resentment against all things Biblical and I can't imagine where this level of anger comes from - but I have never been harmed by someone saying they were Christian.  If I had I suspect I might have a different take on the subject.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#48    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,658 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

View Postfullywired, on 13 October 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

But none come to mind?

fullywired

Here is a decent source that touches base on a few of the so called contradictions.

Though I have seen much better sources, I dont have alot of time this morning to go through them.

http://litteralchris...contradictions"

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#49    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,658 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

View Postand then, on 13 October 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

I'm no scholar the way PA and some others here are, Preacherman76 but I don't see any reason to try to convince people to believe in something they have thoroughly rejected.  These threads seem to pop up occasionally and run for a few pages until everyone gets some of the vitriol out of their system then they die out.  No one gets convinced of anything one way or another.  As I stated earlier, the only problem I have with threads like this is that they add nothing positive to anyone's life.  In a time when the whole world is spinning out of control and darkness of one kind or another is burgeoning, having a group hatefest over one of the few positive influences in modern life doesn't seem very productive to me.  It's not an attack on non believers.  I genuinely support their right to believe what makes them comfortable - whether I find it to be error or not.  It seems to me to be an expression of resentment against all things Biblical and I can't imagine where this level of anger comes from - but I have never been harmed by someone saying they were Christian.  If I had I suspect I might have a different take on the subject.

Well said and then. I couldnt agree more. People dont come to threads like this to learn anything. They come to spread pre conceived notions that are extremly uninformed. I also support peoples right to believe what ever they want. Its just sad to see people so willing to spread misinformation sitting on the shoulders of smarter people then themselfs, and thinking they understand what they are talking about.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#50    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,797 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 13 October 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

Here is a perfect example of a so called contradiction that even just basic knowledge of christianity debunks. Jesus died for our sins in order to be able to bring us the free gift of salvation.
As much of a "free" gift as sex workers receiving a "free" money gift.

#51    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostBling, on 12 October 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

So the bible the world reads today is fake?

It is highly possible that it is fake or part's of it is fake, but saying that I do believe that the Bible has some truth to it (just not sure how much)....

But due to the manipulation by the council of Nicea and the Roman Catholic Church, we do not have the whole story, just the part's that suited the early churches need's, (to control the people ? to gain more money or power ? or all three ? )

Posted Image

#52    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 13 October 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

Here is a perfect example of a so called contradiction that even just basic knowledge of christianity debunks. Jesus died for our sins in order to be able to bring us the free gift of salvation. Giving to each man according to what he has done isnt about salvation. Its about giving reward for the good works you have done. You might have no reward coming to you, but that doesnt mean you are not saved.

http://www.whatjewsb...planation1.html

An even bigger contradiction is that the Mosaic Law makes very clear that no man can die for the sins of another; so, based on the Bible's own internal logic (albeit rather shaky and incoherent to begin with), Jesus cannot have died for anyone's sins but his own.

Edited by Arbitran, 13 October 2012 - 08:10 PM.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#53    seishin

seishin

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 179 posts

• The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostArbitran, on 13 October 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

http://www.whatjewsb...planation1.html

An even bigger contradiction is that the Mosaic Law makes very clear that no man can die for the sins of another; so, based on the Bible's own internal logic (albeit rather shaky and incoherent to begin with), Jesus cannot have died for anyone's sins but his own.

Well said

Crush the industry, No security
Capital is worthless now
Your life I inside trade

#54    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 13 October 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

We dont have anyone here with biblical knowledge anymore? What happened to PA? There were a few others as well. I cant believe no one has come to the defense of the bible. Anyhow, I used to study up on all the so called contradictions. I have yet to see one where it holds water. Things are taken outta context, there have also been ligit translation difficulties, ect ect. Id go into it, but no one comes to a thread like this to learn anything. But just know this, there isnt a single so called contradiction that hasnt been throughly debunked.

Maybe christians know in their heart that the bible is not the true word of God. They can see the contradictions for themselves and haven't got an argument that holds any weight. This thread does teach people things, it teaches them that christianity is based on a man made lie and the truth should be 'outed'.

#55    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

Oh forget that!

Edited by Bling, 13 October 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#56    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 13 October 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

Well said and then. I couldnt agree more. People dont come to threads like this to learn anything. They come to spread pre conceived notions that are extremly uninformed. I also support peoples right to believe what ever they want. Its just sad to see people so willing to spread misinformation sitting on the shoulders of smarter people then themselfs, and thinking they understand what they are talking about.

So why are you here? Why are you bothered?

#57    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

View Postand then, on 13 October 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

As I stated earlier, the only problem I have with threads like this is that they add nothing positive to anyone's life.
Yes they do because they help to teach people that christianity is not based on 'the word of god' but on a man made book full of inaccuracies. Religion kills so shouldn't it be questioned and protested against?

In a time when the whole world is spinning out of control and darkness of one kind or another is burgeoning, having a group hatefest over one of the few positive influences in modern life doesn't seem very productive to me.
Don't you think the whole thread shows that the bible is not one of the few positive influences in the world - if it was then the world wouldn't be in this state. The bible has been around for thousands of years and yet the world is still screwed!

It's not an attack on non believers. I genuinely support their right to believe what makes them comfortable - whether I find it to be error or not.
Kind of a contradiction?

It seems to me to be an expression of resentment against all things Biblical and I can't imagine where this level of anger comes from
The anger comes from the fact that religion has ruined peoples lives for thousands of years. It has dictated our laws, oppressed and distriminated...and all based on what? - Something that cannot and has not been proven to be fact

- but I have never been harmed by someone saying they were Christian.  If I had I suspect I might have a different take on the subject.
Then you have been fortunate and not experienced the things that others have - lucky you!

#58    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Does God change his mind?
  • Malachi 3:6 "For I am the Lord; I change not."
  • Numbers 23:19 "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent."
  • Ezekiel 24:14 "I the Lord have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent."
  • James 1:17 " . . . the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."
vs
  • Exodus 32:14 "And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."
  • Genesis 6:6,7 "And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth . . . And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth . . . for it repenteth me that I have made him."
  • Jonah 3:10 ". . . and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not."
See also II Kings 20:1-7, Numbers 16:20-35, Numbers 16:44-50.
See Genesis 18:23-33, where Abraham gets God to change his mind about the minimum number of righteous people in Sodom required to avoid destruction, bargaining down from fifty to ten. (An omniscient God must have known that he was playing with Abraham's hopes for mercy--he destroyed the city anyway.)

See Source

Edited by Paranoid Android, 21 December 2012 - 11:18 PM.
Added source material

#59    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,047 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 13 October 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Here is a decent source that touches base on a few of the so called contradictions.

Though I have seen much better sources, I dont have alot of time this morning to go through them.

http://litteralchris...contradictions"

I am not impressed with the link ,it seems to be trying to rationalize everything instead of explaining

fullywired

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#60    seishin

seishin

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 179 posts

• The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

View Postfullywired, on 13 October 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

I am not impressed with the link ,it seems to be trying to rationalize everything instead of explaining

fullywired

It is a rationalization.

The issue present with this type of defense is that the author is not around to clarify what he meant, and if God is indeed the author, then he is not a very good writer because NO ONE knows what the hell he meant! Logic H. Science! Most believers cannot agree on what God means; e.g. revelation, baptisim, gay marriage, etc...

Crush the industry, No security
Capital is worthless now
Your life I inside trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users