Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Former Nazi removed from Space Hall of Fame

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:04 PM

ALAMOGORDO, N.M. - A former Nazi scientist has been booted from the International Space Hall of Fame.

The New Mexico Museum of Space History's commission unanimously voted last week to remove Hubertus Strughold.

He had been inducted in 1978 for work in developing the spacesuit and space capsule, and contributions to space medicine.

But Strughold was also linked to experiments on prisoners in the Dachau concentration camp in his native Germany.

A museum visitor noticed Strughold's name in the hall last fall and told the New Mexico Anti-Defamation League which then uncovered records on his past.
Source
------------------------------------------------------------------------
no.gif His title doesn't mean his work is meaning less.  hmm.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,139 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:16 PM

His work may not be meaningless but the fact that he experimented on political prisoners can not be ignored.

Here is a link to a BBC News article on Project Paperclip, where the USA doctored the records of Nazi scientists to hide some of their war crimes so that they could work for the USA. Project Paperclip: Dark side of the Moon

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 19 May 2006 - 11:23 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Master Sage

Master Sage

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

• DRAGONZ!!!!

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:16 PM

Urgh Nazis! As a jew, I glad to hea hes out. Still, at least he did somthing productive with his life.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4    Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:40 AM

What. This is absurd!
He had provided his time, effort, and intelligence to mankind,
Made the hall of fame, just to be taking out of it.
So what if he was a Nazi.

I Walk The Line Between Good & Evil

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,139 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:41 PM

So what if he was a Nazi.

So it doesn't matter that her performed experiments on Jews at  Dachau then? We are not just talking about a member of the Nazi party here, we are talking about a war criminal who never came to trial. Is that really the sort of person you want the USA to hold up as an example of a hero?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:20 PM

Yes. His Nazi Experiments were another thing in his life altogether.
They should have only looked at what he did
'for work in developing the spacesuit, space capsule,
and contributions to space medicine.'

I Walk The Line Between Good & Evil

#7    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,114 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

He is a monster, and if he wasnt dead he should be shot.

Glad to see that SOB taken down.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,139 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:02 PM

Yes. His Nazi Experiments were another thing in his life altogether.
They should have only looked at what he did
'for work in developing the spacesuit, space capsule,
and contributions to space medicine.'

So what you are saying is that if you are a mass murderer it doesn't really matter if you have done something useful as well. Does that go for rapists and paedophiles as well?

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

Urgh Nazis! As a jew, I glad to hea hes out. Still, at least he did somthing productive with his life.

not all nazi's were anti-seminist... a lot of german scientists, soldiers ect, were dragged into working for hitler. a lot of german soldiers, and I mean a lot, never wanted to go to war for hitler, but if they didnt (appariently) bad things would happen to themselves or their family. when england took prisoners of war, who were then set to work on the fields later on, actually wanted to stay in england as they feared hitler that much.

sure this guy sounds like a bad man, but remember, not all nazi's beleived in hitlers idea's. and around the time of the second world war, a lot of the world were not on the side of jewish people either.

plus, I dont agree with taking his name from the space hall of fame, sure he was a bad man, but that doesn't mean he shouldnt be acknowledged for his acheivments.

its like taking down shakespeares work because he was a drunk. (though I know thats very different from this guy, so dont bother quoting me to tell me that again...)

Edited by Leliel, 23 May 2006 - 04:08 PM.

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users