Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is your life completely meaningless?

Professor T

Have read a few statements here lately that have given me the impression that a few of us here are suffering from lack of meaning in life, or purpose.. Perhaps this will be a good thread to share these things? And perhaps find solutions or inspiration to get out of such ruts.. So..........

Do you feel that life is meaningless? If so, please tell us why..

Is your life full of purpose and meaning? If so, tell us how it feels and how you came to find it..

If you think you have a solution to the rut someone is in, please post it..

Depends on what one's definition of "meaning" is.

Without purpose.. hollow.. empty..

“Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it”

― Siddhārtha Gautama

• Like 1

i would say you just choose wat ur purpose is. alot of people get caught up in "finding" it when all you have to do is "make it".

• Like 3

I have a solution for some of these situations and it is very straight forward...

Spend less time alone.

I think what people need to do to stop them feeling 'meaningless' is to try and be the opposite, become needed. If people need you, require you or want you around those 'meaningless' feelings will not be there.

Feeling 'meaningless' will then be replace by thoughts like 'bloody hell people leave me alone, there are only so many days in a week!!!!'

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

I have alot of friends and for the most part all they see is a very happy part me that i know inside is purely fabricated. some women take to me and after we make love i look at the ceiling and feel an emptines...no pun intended.my real outlook on life is so bland and dreary that i constantly feel like an empty vessel...like a form that was made through the collision of sediments only moving because of the constantly flailing meanlinglessness that birthed me as if it were sad itself.i feel most lonely when im surrounded by friends poor b******* lol and ill always notice a clock when the shots are gone and a pendulum always turning

I would really enjoy a relatable conversation from anyone who feels this way.

Smiley face...

• Like 1

My purpose of life is simple it is just to live it.

• Like 1

I read a good argument that it is possible that our core purpose is to carry and pass on DNA. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

• Like 2

My recent status update says, "We don't honor life, life honors us." Maybe we're too ego centered, expecting our life to be fulfilled by some 'meaning' that stokes our own personal sense of ourselves. In other words, when things aren't going the way we want it to we may feel life is meaningless for us.

I suppose that would be one definition of meaningless.

Maybe if we just relaxed a little and looked around us we would discover some unexpected meaning we had previously overlooked.

• Like 2

No, my life is not completely meaningless. And no one else's is either.

We are creators. We are powerful.

• Like 3

I think out total purpose is to expereince everything, to put that experience into perspective, and to access knowledge.

I read a good argument that it is possible that our core purpose is to carry and pass on DNA. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

• Like 1

Well, life is meaningless... We exist within a universe devoid of attachment to us. We're a fleeting thought in the back of some galactic mind. Our true value cannot be measured because of human fallibility, nor can we ever find true peace in this world because of ego. The only way to deal with an unfree world is to be so absolutely free that your existence becomes revolt in itself - roughly paraphrased. I view my life as meaningless, so I understand there are really only two options..

1. Continue living in this world devoid of meaning.
  2. Kill myself.

As Camus said, in the end it takes more courage to live than to kill oneself.. So it is inherently up to us what we want to do.. Meaninglessness does not provoke absurdity, but perhaps it is absurd that life is meaningless. Perhaps our relationship to the cosmos is absurd, or not fully explored.. Or maybe we don't need to know, because we already know.. Maybe it is just as simple as others said: reproduction. We're all organisms with instincts not yet killed off by organized civilization. We all are cognitive, yes but that is the only aspect that sets us apart from other creatures on this planet.. But with ego comes overvalue. We place so much value on ourselves, yet fail to recognize the lack of value in life...

Once we recognize the lack of value in life, or the lack of value in ourselves, it is up to us to resist and to rebel by creating our own value - the only true value in life. When we assign value to things I believe the true potential for value brought upon by an individual is diminished. So we must resist ourselves when assuming.. Instead we should have careful consideration and mindfulness when we create value that was not there before, lest we lose sight of ourselves entirely..

It is a bit paradoxical to say that we create our value, but to also say that by assigning value to things, that value loses its value.

So in the end, those two statements negate themselves.. The only viable train of thought is that there is no value.

It's only an illusion, just like our meaning.. However, to have a sound mind, we must conjure metaphysical rebellion..

It is the only way to keep sanity in an absurd universe.

• Like 3

Nope, mines totally the best life. I find an adventure every day, the ups and downs of emotions, the experiences I have with people, even the mundanity of work makes the more exciting parts all the more awesome. I love my life, the good and the bad.

• Like 1

I've read stories about people who bounce out of bed every morning and love what they do and anjoy every waken moment of their lives.. These people radiate happiness, joy, love. They are full of energy, and live life to it's fullest.. They do so because they have discovered their purpose in life, and that purpose gives meaning to their lives.. They have discovered or found or chosen a deep passion that they enjoy, and from that they gain strength and meaning.. This purpose or passion drives them forward, they inspire people around them..

*sighs* me... I stumble out of bed, trip on a shoe, headbut the wall, and moan the rest of the day with a headache. My meaning in life is to look after a loved one who is very old. When he goes, I'll have no meaning, and that imo is not a good thing.. I think we all need purpose, something that isn't material or ego driven. A passion that can drive us.

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

The meaning of my life is to keep my fiance wanting to live his life....and in turn, his life is to give me reason to live. We are each others saviours and we found each other just at the right time :wub:

• Like 1

Do you feel that life is meaningless? If so, please tell us why..

Absolutely. I think we tend to get too involved in life itself..to the point of being egocentric. We (collectively speaking) tend to think that there is this special little package just for us and we search and search, doing this and that thinking that we will somehow be worthy or whatever the current catch-phrase. It is nice to do stuff for others and make the trek through life a tad more bearable but in the end it doesn't matter who does the task nor does it really matter whom it is for just so long as the need is met.

We get so wrapped up in our artificial identities that we forget there is no real "us" but merely a multitude of personalities we are forced to exhibit depending on the situation.

Anyways...I gave up trying to find this so-called "meaning" and simply endure the last two decades or so of my life.

• Like 1

Perhaps feeling life has a meaning is a psychological state of mind and not a philosophical or spiritual question.

Maybe those who jump out of beds and those who bump their heads do so because some are just generally happy and some are just generally depressed. A person who is mentally wel-balanced and mentally healthy may search for some Cosmic Meaning, but during the search that person may actually be satisfied with their life, and not worry too much about some fundamental reason to go on.

When we find life meaningless and just endure it, I think that is a sign of psychological ill-health, and not a result of our not discovering some hidden value to their lives.

I think our true nature is happiness and confidence in ourselves, in our lives and in our environment. It is easy to loose our basic child-like nature. When we ignore our original spirit life becomes dim.

As adults, we can misplace our enthusiasm for living, but that enthusiasm still exists within us. When we put aside our learned burdens, we may discover an unexpected significance exposed within every moment.

• Like 2

Maybe a large part of the problem is insinuating that we must see life as meaningful and if we don't then we must therefore have a problem.

When people think of life, their lives, and their purpose for living, all to often they find themselves defining their lives on material things such as how much money they have in the bank, how many friends they have, how exciting their sex lives are... All these are things that are imposed on us by society, and are not in many cases the true passion of an individual.. People are told what to be.. And all to often they forget who they want to be.

To have a great career? Is that what anyone wants? We're all going to retire one day..

To have riches beyond others? Will that really make one happy? The rich live under lock and key & fear these days..

To love and be loved? fine, but what do you see beyond that when loved ones find love elsewhere or move on?

To have a great sex life? Well, it helps, but these are only short term pleasures.

I've spent thousands of dollars on hobbies that now collect dust to try and find that passion to give life meaning, as I am sure many of us have.. These things don't give meaning, they are not rooted in love, they are just things..

.. i look at it this way, existence/life is it's own meaning. I'm usually content just to BE :)

• Like 2

.. i look at it this way, existence/life is it's own meaning. I'm usually content just to BE :)

So are you happy with life? or just content?

Is your life full of purpose and meaning? If so, tell us how it feels and how you came to find it..

I think its stupid to search for the meaning of life. Because life has no correct "answer". Its not "oh GUYS. I just found the meaning of life!"

One will only be truly happy when they stop looking for something and be content what with they have. The more you look the more you realize what you don't have and the more you strive for the impossible. Life inherently has no meaning other then what we attach to it. However it does not make the meaning we create any less important.

People don't need a meaning of life. People need a purpose. Not a goal to accomplish but something people can do everyday and be happy. In an office or as a construction worker.

I personally accepted life has no meaning and am content with that. Goals and meanings are stupid. They limit you from experiencing life and your always reaching towards a seemingly impossible idea. Most of my closest friend have severe depression. And I really like making life bearable for other people. I like making people smile and just making the sad people happy. I just like to spread cheer. Despite the fact I'm probably clinically depressed around depressed people for some reason I light up and become happier. Its just what I do. Its not a goal. Just a fact about myself I can use to be happy myself and help other people.

So yea. Life is meaningless. But who cares?

• Like 1

People are all different. It would be a God-awful boring place if we were not. Where one person finds contentment, another person living the same life would be bored witless. I think it comes down to giving expression to what talents and abilities are latent in you. Unexpressed psychic content creates discontent. Above all, the inability to express self-less love, for whatever reason, causes the greatest discontent.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.

- Gospel of Thomas, verse 70.

• Like 1

I am not always happy with my life, but I don't think anyone is most of the time.

However, I consider my life to be full of pupose and meaning. I simply know it is. Even if I haven't discovered completely what this purpose is (or at all lol). Until I do however, I will try to be as good as I can. Give the best of me to make people laugh, feel loved, and protect them. And not just to people, but everything that surrounds me.

I think this is everyone's purpose. I don't think I have any special talent and the only thing I feel I can offer is my unconditional love to all the beings.

I am not always happy with my life, but I don't think anyone is most of the time.

However, I consider my life to be full of pupose and meaning. I simply know it is. Even if I haven't discovered completely what this purpose is (or at all lol). Until I do however, I will try to be as good as I can. Give the best of me to make people laugh, feel loved, and protect them. And not just to people, but everything that surrounds me.

I think this is everyone's purpose. I don't think I have any special talent and the only thing I feel I can offer is my unconditional love to all the beings.

• Like 1

I think it all comes down to purpose, because purpose brings meaning into life..

There's some great responses here. But a lot of confustion by the term "Meaning to life"

Purpose gives meaning.. And to have purpose in life I believe is a philosophical or spiritual state of being. Something that can be different for every person, but something that is very close to the heart of every person.. Society, the Media, the Corporations and their advertising keep telling us what that purpose should be.. But that is what they want.. Not what you or I want.. I quess reviving ones true purpose it is a matter of searching within one's self for that spark of true passion and bringing it and yourself back to a life with meaning.. I for one do not want to just be content with the way things are, or just be, or just see the world as a tragic mistake I have to endure till death releases, lol.. Finding pleasure in making other lives better though laughter and companionship, to me anyway, seems like a nice thing, but only medicine to endure a life without purpose.