Photo

Praying Mantis

Posted by Supersquatch , in Other 30 July 2012 · 674 views

pets
A photo of my recent temporary pet:

Posted Image

Good ID, too, hon...it is indeed a boy mantis! And quite the big fellow, too. Give him my regards!

d e v i c e
Jul 31 2012 01:08 AM
:)

Supersquatch
Jul 31 2012 01:49 AM

lizzieboo, on 31 July 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

Good ID, too, hon...it is indeed a boy mantis! And quite the big fellow, too. Give him my regards!

How can you tell? I was just guessing it for the sake of pronouns...
Female praying mantises have larger abdomens than males. (Funny thing; I used to be terrified of them. I once went into screaming fits when I saw one on my door years ago. Then we moved to the country and I saw them everywhere, and did a bit of reading. They're actually very charming, and they eliminate many harmful pests. Anywho, that's when I found out how to tell the difference between boy and girl praying mantises.)

Supersquatch
Jul 31 2012 02:41 AM

lizzieboo, on 31 July 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

Female praying mantises have larger abdomens than males. (Funny thing; I used to be terrified of them. I once went into screaming fits when I saw one on my door years ago. Then we moved to the country and I saw them everywhere, and did a bit of reading. They're actually very charming, and they eliminate many harmful pests. Anywho, that's when I found out how to tell the difference between boy and girl praying mantises.)

Aren't females also bigger than the males?

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON
Jul 31 2012 06:29 AM
I feel sorry for the poor bugger at mating time.

Supersquatch
Jul 31 2012 06:43 AM

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON, on 31 July 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

I feel sorry for the poor bugger at mating time.

Yeah. I heard that decapitation isn't all that fun. (I wonder where I heard that, exactly.)
They might be a bit larger, but mostly it's just the abdomen that makes them look bigger. Oh, and not all female mantises decapitate their mates--I was floored when I read that. Apparently they're not all bloodthirsty b*****s! *giggle*

Supersquatch
Jul 31 2012 09:49 AM

lizzieboo, on 31 July 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

They might be a bit larger, but mostly it's just the abdomen that makes them look bigger. Oh, and not all female mantises decapitate their mates--I was floored when I read that. Apparently they're not all bloodthirsty b*****s! *giggle*

Mantises are a lot like humans. Sometimes your wife wants to cut your head off, other times she's nice. ;)

TaylorReints, on 31 July 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Mantises are a lot like humans. Sometimes your wife wants to cut your head off, other times she's nice. ;)

Oh, boy...my hubby has been telling tales about me again! ;-)

Supersquatch
Jul 31 2012 04:17 PM

lizzieboo, on 31 July 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Oh, boy...my hubby has been telling tales about me again! ;-)

lol

Get Updates for New Posts

Click the "Follow this blog" button on the homepage to receive updates whenever a new post is written on Supersquatch.

Search My Blog

Short Stories

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Recent Comments

Latest Visitors

• Photo
    adderiexola
    01 Jan 2014 - 17:17
  • Photo