Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US 'buys town for terror drills'

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:16 PM

US 'buys town for terror drills'

The United States Department of Homeland Security is buying an entire town for use in its anti-terror training, the New York Times reports.
Playas, in the south-west state of New Mexico, will be bought for $5m from the Phelps Dodge mining company, which built it from scratch in the 1970s.

The town, once home to 1,000 people, currently has a population of 50.

Emergency workers will use the site to simulate suicide bombings, anthrax attacks and water-supply poisonings.

'Ghost town'

Although Playas has been in decline since a copper smelter shut, the isolated town just north of the Mexican border is not a typical ghost town.

In addition to 259 ranch-style homes, it features a six-lane bowling alley, a rodeo ring, a helicopter pad, an airstrip, a bar, a shooting range and a swimming pool.

A small local engineering school, the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, will be overseeing the project.

Vice-president Van Romero told the New York Times that the town's remaining residents could be offered work on the project.

New Mexico Tech, as it is known, has trained more than 90,000 emergency workers since the bombing of the Oklahoma City federal building in 1995.

It is also currently receiving $20m in grants from the Department of Homeland Security for its antiterrorism programmes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3693366.stm

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#2    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:15 PM

How cool is that? I actually know where Playas New Mexico is, and have been by there a few times. If you like desert it is a beautiful place.

I would love to own my own town...a mere 3 million dollars. I will have to check my piggy bank, it is looking pretty full.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users