Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

Show us your EGO!

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#241    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,448 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 27 January 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

For example, I value a like on a complex opinion I have made than one of a "what this person did is wrong" type of post.
Don't you hate it, when a complicated answer that took 20-30 minutes or more to think about and write and edit properly doesn't even get aqknowledged!! Grrr! Am damn sure that (Grrrrrr <_<) feeling is my ego letting off steam. I havn't quite figured that part of me out yet.

View Postthe L, on 27 January 2013 - 12:11 AM, said:

You know what comes often trough my mind, Is like button ruined forum threads? Because before when you like something that other person have written what did you do? You respond to his post. And often not just by "great post" but rather express your view or even develop conversation by new information or questions.

Personally I think the Like button is a great addition.. It's like the who want's to be a millionare "ask the audience" function.. You can skim though a post where someone has posed a tricky question and quickly see, from qty of likes, the most likely answer to the question..
Unfortunately, Ego doesn't see it that way.. Ego sometimes see's the accumulation of likes as a contest. Or as collecting UM brownie points :lol: ..

Up-to-date MOST LIKED LIST..

Posted Image

The first thing Ego does when confronted with a 'most liked' list such as this is find out where it is on this list..
If we are high on the list, Wooo Whoo!
If we're low, Doh!
Either way, Ego found it very interesting.. (I skimmed through this thread) and i reckon more than 50% of the postings have been about the like button or justifying it and their qty of likes since the list appeared.. :lol: .. If I get the time I'll get some more accurate info on this.. :lol: ..

Edited by Professor T, 27 January 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#242    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 27 January 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Personally I think the Like button is a great addition.. It's like the who want's to be a millionare "ask the audience" function.. You can skim though a post where someone has posed a tricky question and quickly see, from qty of likes, the most likely answer to the question..

If you watched millionare often then you know that audience OFTEN doesnt know right answer.

A-38%
B-27%
C-22%
D-13%

Whatever letter you choose majority still doesnt know.

Individual joker (call person) is far better joker.
However since Im curious person I like to see what people thinks about something.

Edited by the L, 27 January 2013 - 10:38 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#243    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 27 January 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Don't you hate it, when a complicated answer that took 20-30 minutes or more to think about and write and edit properly doesn't even get aqknowledged!! Grrr! Am damn sure that (Grrrrrr <_<) feeling is my ego letting off steam. I havn't quite figured that part of me out yet.

Unfortunately, Ego doesn't see it that way.. Ego sometimes see's the accumulation of likes as a contest. Or as collecting UM brownie points :lol: ..

Up-to-date MOST LIKED LIST..

Posted Image

The first thing Ego does when confronted with a 'most liked' list such as this is find out where it is on this list..
If we are high on the list, Wooo Whoo!
If we're low, Doh!
Either way, Ego found it very interesting.. (I skimmed through this thread) and i reckon more than 50% of the postings have been about the like button or justifying it and their qty of likes since the list appeared.. :lol: .. If I get the time I'll get some more accurate info on this.. :lol: ..
in the top 10!? fo-rizzles?

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#244    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,448 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

View Postthe L, on 27 January 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

If you watched millionare often then you know that audience OFTEN doesnt know right answer.

A-38%
B-27%
C-22%
D-13%

Whatever letter you choose majority still doesnt know.

That is correct.
However in every episode I've watched, which admitably isn't many, the answer that has the most qty of votes has always been the correct answer..

#245    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 27 January 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

That is correct.
However in every episode I've watched, which admitably isn't many, the answer that has the most qty of votes has always been the correct answer..

Well it depends on which level player choose to use joker ask  audince. Also it depends on player. Sometimes player follow his instinct and choose differently from audience, sometimes he/she use "half the answers" joker after ask audience joker.
But that all doesnt change fact that majority of public doesnt know. People guessing.  Point is that MAJORITY choose different answer from right one. Even if player choose right one lets say A- 62% people who press button dont know.

People press "like" for different reasons. As in quiz they could be wrong. They could be in those 62%. Majority. Main stream.

I could tell you 5,6 members who deserve to have more likes yet they dont have them.
Why? Sociology.

Edited by the L, 27 January 2013 - 11:17 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#246    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

As you advance in your studies, more and more you learn you becoming more and more specalized in one field.
In the end you are expert of one tiny part of human knowledge.

I think that fact tells all. I can developed that.

#247    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,688 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

The question though is:

Is Ego posting to get likes?  Considering some of those that are higher on the list, such as, Sarah_444 for instance.  I know for a fact she doesn't post to get likes...so, what then is the point of the list?

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#248    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

View Postjoc, on 27 January 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

s...so, what then is the point of the list?

To me its just show who have good social skills and maybe common knowledge in general.

Also I noticed, maybe Im wrong that sceptics get more likes. Why? Because they are here in majority. I could be wrong.

Edited by the L, 27 January 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#249    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

I often use this analogy to say that Democracy isnt good.

Lets say you are only one smart. And 9 people around you are stupid. They say: "Lets built house in river"
You tell them : "No. Thats stupid." 9 say: "Lets vote!"....They won. And they built house even one knew that is mistake.

#250    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

“Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds” Albert Einstein

#251    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,448 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

View Postjoc, on 27 January 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

The question though is:

Is Ego posting to get likes?  Considering some of those that are higher on the list, such as, Sarah_444 for instance.  I know for a fact she doesn't post to get likes...so, what then is the point of the list?

Bingo! :tu:
  • That was imo a very astute appraisal of Sarah's Posts btw, how do you know for a fact?
  • In many cases imo Ego is posting to get likes, even if we are not aware of it..
  • The point of the list.. :lol: I started the list early on and have been using it as a carrot to get peoples Ego's so show themselves. It has proven it's self a very attractive lure.. Ego can't help but comment on it's placement in such an egotistic list..

#252    joc

joc

• 12,688 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

View Postthe L, on 27 January 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

I often use this analogy to say that Democracy isnt good.

Lets say you are only one smart. And 9 people around you are stupid. They say: "Lets built house in river"
You tell them : "No. Thats stupid." 9 say: "Lets vote!"....They won. And they built house even one knew that is mistake.
Actually that is a pretty good analogy of the current situation involving the last election.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#253    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,448 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

View Postthe L, on 27 January 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:

Well it depends on which level player choose to use joker ask  audince. Also it depends on player. Sometimes player follow his instinct and choose differently from audience, sometimes he/she use "half the answers" joker after ask audience joker.
But that all doesnt change fact that majority of public doesnt know. People guessing.  Point is that MAJORITY choose different answer from right one. Even if player choose right one lets say A- 62% people who press button dont know.

People press "like" for different reasons. As in quiz they could be wrong. They could be in those 62%. Majority. Main stream.

I could tell you 5,6 members who deserve to have more likes yet they dont have them.
Why? Sociology.

True that the player sometimes doesn't pick the collective audiences answer.. Sometimes, with a lack of judement on their part imo, they go against the collective and use their own intuition..

#254    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,448 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

View Postthe L, on 27 January 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

To me its just show who have good social skills and maybe common knowledge in general.

Also I noticed, maybe Im wrong that sceptics get more likes. Why? Because they are here in majority. I could be wrong.

I can safely say that B Randomly and myself, 2,d & 3rd on the list, are far from sceptics..

I can also safely say, :blush: , that earlier on when I first joined UM it was all about getting likes for my Ego..

#255    joc

joc

• 12,688 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 27 January 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Bingo! :tu:
  • That was imo a very astute appraisal of Sarah's Posts btw, how do you know for a fact?
  • In many cases imo Ego is posting to get likes, even if we are not aware of it..
  • The point of the list.. :lol: I started the list early on and have been using it as a carrot to get peoples Ego's so show themselves. It has proven it's self a very attractive lure.. Ego can't help but comment on it's placement in such an egotistic list..
I am a pretty good judge of character...not instantly...but I have read enough of Sarah's posts to conclude that she is a very grounded person who loves her camera and what it can do.  She seeks to capture some of the beauty around her with it for her own pleasure and for spreading pleasure to those around her.  She has as her UserName the numbers 444 which are themselves a reflection of a frequency of strengh, courage and beauty.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users