Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Youtube Links

Roughneck

Youtube Linking  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want [youtube][/youtube] tags- thus allowing youtube videos to be directly viewed within the post, if possible to incorporate?

• Yes
    • No
    • Abstain/Other - Please post what if 'Other'

Some forums I frequent allow youtube tags so instead of using a url link, someone can watch the youtube video within the post. The tags are

. I tried to use the youtube tags but it didn't work so I just used html tags.

Do you think it would be a good idea to incorporate

tags within UM if it was possible?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roughneck

• Radian

• xCrimsonx

• chrisfreak

Why can't you just post the link to the video? It's what I do. Not everybody had a great connection to the net and a youtube embed in the thread, signature or blog would just slow things down.

Why can't you just post the link to the video? It's what I do. Not everybody had a great connection to the net and a youtube embed in the thread, signature or blog would just slow things down.

Mabye an option in profile of whether you want to see imbedded videos or you wan't links instead..

Mabye an option in profile of whether you want to see imbedded videos or you wan't links instead..

InHuman's idea sounds good , I'll go with that idea and vote other (good work InHuman! *golf clap*)

The imbedded videos don't automatically play when the thread opens, though. You have to click on the video to activate it, then click again to play it. I've loaded "What's on Your Youtube" threads with every post having an embedded link on a slow connection and it loaded just a few seconds slower than usual, and that could be blamed on something else since I didn't check what else was running on the system.

The imbedded videos don't automatically play when the thread opens, though. You have to click on the video to activate it, then click again to play it. I've loaded "What's on Your Youtube" threads with every post having an embedded link on a slow connection and it loaded just a few seconds slower than usual, and that could be blamed on something else since I didn't check what else was running on the system.

Only happens on Internet Explorer

Only happens on Internet Explorer

The lag or embedded Youtube videos?

exactly.

exactly.

Did you not read what I said to the 'it will lag the server/thread' argument? The page loads just as fast as a page not embedded with Youtube videos. The videos DON'T load into the page, only the link and an embedded player which is NOT activated on loading the page. To actually watch the embedded video you have to first click on the player just to activate it, then click again to load it. Once it loads, it will then play!

As for being fair, if you want to be fair, then you can't go around preaching "but users with slower connections will suffer." That's not being fair for anyone except people that seem to still think 56k entitles them to a higher-standard in internet surfing and more importance in how a website should function over the growing number of people using a faster connection. Besides, I already said there is little-to-no difference in a page loading unless you count how the still-frame images of the embedded videos are loaded, which are loaded last AFTER the thread loads. I've asked people with a slower connection than mine to test out if a page with an embedded video loads much slower and by how much. Answers ranged from not that noticable other than the still-frames on the embedded videos loading (which again, loads last), to some people saying a few seconds more. If you can't wait a few seconds for a page to load, then you shouldn't be asking someone why they can't just click a link.

And finally, for the "why can't you just click the link?" argument- well, why can't you just watch embedded videos? Is it any easier or harder? No. It's just a nice extra feature. If you're against nice extra features, then go you. Personally, I like it when features are added that give that bit of extra goodies. Inserting an HTML link is fine, and it's what I do unless a forum I visit has support for embedded players, so other than implying someone is lazy, which is a bold assumption and certainly not 'fair' for someone who wants to sound fair by playing to a specific group of users over another (fair indeed). Then again, maybe UM always had the features they have now, and nothing was added in throughout the many years of its life, I've only lurked for the past year, and so I can't say without researching what features were added/removed beyond that year up untill now. Anyways, I'm not saying I can't find the energy in my body to lift my finger and click a link, I'm saying "here's a nice extra feature to think about." So yeah, unnecessary extra-goodies aren't needed, but they're nice to have.

The lag or embedded Youtube videos?

Clicking the flash in order to activate it --> Only happens on internet explorer

Clicking the flash in order to activate it --> Only happens on internet explorer

I have downloaded and installed Firefox to test out the differences in how a page loads with embedded videos.

Before I go on, let me remind everyone a link comes with the embedded player for those who'd rather load a youtube off-page.

Back to Firefox- you first have to download Flash Player plugin for it to work. So if you still haven't done that, guess what, you won't be affected since the link is still posted with the embedded player you won't be able to view. After I downloaded and installed the plugin, the page loaded just as fast as it would on my IE and with the same form of loading- page loads first, then embedded still-frame images, then you still have to click the player to buffer the video.

Edited by Roughneck

Did you not read what I said to the 'it will lag the server/thread' argument? The page loads just as fast as a page not embedded with Youtube videos. The videos DON'T load into the page, only the link and an embedded player which is NOT activated on loading the page. To actually watch the embedded video you have to first click on the player just to activate it, then click again to load it. Once it loads, it will then play!

As for being fair, if you want to be fair, then you can't go around preaching "but users with slower connections will suffer." That's not being fair for anyone except people that seem to still think 56k entitles them to a higher-standard in internet surfing and more importance in how a website should function over the growing number of people using a faster connection. Besides, I already said there is little-to-no difference in a page loading unless you count how the still-frame images of the embedded videos are loaded, which are loaded last AFTER the thread loads. I've asked people with a slower connection than mine to test out if a page with an embedded video loads much slower and by how much. Answers ranged from not that noticable other than the still-frames on the embedded videos loading (which again, loads last), to some people saying a few seconds more. If you can't wait a few seconds for a page to load, then you shouldn't be asking someone why they can't just click a link.

And finally, for the "why can't you just click the link?" argument- well, why can't you just watch embedded videos? Is it any easier or harder? No. It's just a nice extra feature. If you're against nice extra features, then go you. Personally, I like it when features are added that give that bit of extra goodies. Inserting an HTML link is fine, and it's what I do unless a forum I visit has support for embedded players, so other than implying someone is lazy, which is a bold assumption and certainly not 'fair' for someone who wants to sound fair by playing to a specific group of users over another (fair indeed). Then again, maybe UM always had the features they have now, and nothing was added in throughout the many years of its life, I've only lurked for the past year, and so I can't say without researching what features were added/removed beyond that year up untill now. Anyways, I'm not saying I can't find the energy in my body to lift my finger and click a link, I'm saying "here's a nice extra feature to think about." So yeah, unnecessary extra-goodies aren't needed, but they're nice to have.

Just copy and paste the dad gum link, it's all the same.. Pfft.

I agree Shank.

Not to mention that the youtube videos would just take up space and stretch the screen that little bit further which is a pain.

I don't think this is going to happen. Such things have been asked quite a few times on here and they always get a resounding no.

Quite frankly I don't see why its so difficult to post a link, if someone is interested in it then they can follow the link to youtube. Its really not that difficult.

Ive just found recently that you cant copy from Y-T to paste links no more. You fizicaly have to hi-lite the link and fully type it out. It sucks coz, Im totally having 'copy' and 'paste' withdrawals!! lol

What has You-Tube done??? Please explain? :)

All you have to do is highlight the link in the address bar, right click, select 'copy' and then 'paste' it in to the forum. Alternatively you can use CTRL+C and CTRL+V to do the same thing.

I'm not in support of embedded YouTube videos on the forum at this time to be honest and quite a few people have voted against it as well. The forum doesn't natively support YouTube tags, there are technical concerns with some browsers and some members may prefer not to have the videos embedded on the forum in any case.

I won't say never however as it could easily be implemented at some point a bit further down the line.

Coolness. No worries. Thankyou S-man! :tu:

Just copy and paste the dad gum link, it's all the same.. Pfft.

In short, just watch the dad gum embedded video, it's all the same... Pfft.

Please, provide a counter-argument. Copy-pasting a link takes just a much time as posting an embedded video. You're not a bigger man just by posting links anymore than posting embedded videos, so there is no 'pfft' to be had.

Not to mention that the youtube videos would just take up space and stretch the screen that little bit further which is a pain.

The embedded videos are no wider than the post, so there is no stretching. You do know how wide a default Youtube video player is, right? Unless you're viewing your forums at really low resolutions, which then you should be complaining about long sentences because those will also stretch out the posts.

As for space, it seems UM is a very very large site, and has many things uploaded to it. Also, aren't embedded videos stored on the site they're linked from? Because Youtube videos taken offline no longer play on sites they've been embedded on.

Quite frankly I don't see why its so difficult to post a link, if someone is interested in it then they can follow the link to youtube. Its really not that difficult.

Oh my Emperor, how many times must it be said before someone gets it? This is not a discussion over why someone can't just copy-past a link into html tags over youtube tags which takes just the same amount of time either way. Why don't some people seem to understand that? There is nothing to see about which one is more difficult than the other because it's the almost the same system with the exception obviously being instead of loading a seperate page you load an embedded video which half of the time is faster than opening up a new window! It's really not that difficult to understand.

I'm not in support of embedded YouTube videos on the forum at this time to be honest and quite a few people have voted against it as well. The forum doesn't natively support YouTube tags, there are technical concerns with some browsers and some members may prefer not to have the videos embedded on the forum in any case.

I've recently begun to use Firefox, and I've yet to run into any problems using embedded videos with that browser. IE runs fine as well when it comes to embedded videos. I understand that some users who have a slower connection would be against this, and to that I consider a solid argument- I just don't think anyone can say 'it's not fair' to one group over another. Like I said, this is just a suggestion but some people seem to think posting a link makes them less lazy, which I find hilarious.

Voted no, but I really don't care either way. I like right clicking things and saying open in new tab or new window myself.

Oh my Emperor, how many times must it be said before someone gets it?

You're not a bigger man just by posting links anymore than posting embedded videos

We're only discussing the possibility of embedding YouTube videos in to the forum, lets keep it civil please.

At the end of the day I don't think this is a good idea at the moment, I can't say I would prefer to have videos embedded in threads over having a link that I can just click on to open it in a new window.

There are a lot of conflicting views on this and a significant number of people have voted no.

As such I think it's time we concluded this poll: for the moment embedded videos will not be implemented.