Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New 18+ Section

Atheist God

I am personally in favor of a new 18+ uncensored section for us to post in away from the x-kids. This would be a great place for us to have civil debate and say what we want. It would also be great because it would keep alot of the liars and dingbats away also. A place for adults on these boards would be beneficial to these boards, we could utilize it as place where we could swap information and investigate claims made.

Also it is really hard to talk about things i like to with all the kids around these boards. I could also help with moderation of this new section as well keeping the wild claims to an absolute minimum preventing flame wars etc. I am sure others here and I will be taking a poll from members here about this as well to get a general consensus about how they would feel about this as well.

Basically it is the same rules but simply lifting some of the restrictions like censorship and drug and alcohol rules. While I am sure some underage kids will post the 18+ will likely detour most from coming in.

Doesn't have to happen of course but it is a suggestion, I know others here would like it and post in it....

Peace out

GG

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mentalcase

• Magikman

• Atheist God

• Swandancer

So we're going to talk about sex here or what.. ?!! :devil: -- just kidding.

This forum is for visitors of all ages, an age-restricted section would be a bad idea in my opinion.

Basically it is the same rules but simply lifting some of the restrictions like censorship and drug and alcohol rules.
These rules cannot be lifted for legal reasons, no matter the age of those discussing it. An 'uncensored' forum section would also give members an excuse to be as crude and vulgar as they liked with no comeback.

I am personally in favor of a new 18+ uncensored section for us to post in away from the x-kids. It would also be great because it would keep alot of the liars and dingbats away also.

Most of the time it's not kids that are the problem, adults in my experience can be far, far worse. If you think preventing kids from using it is going to solve these kind of problems, it's not.

I know what you mean Ganja, I have a section like that on my forum. You need to be invited to that section with a password in order to post and view the topics, etc. It could work but, I think UM has way too many people for that to work properly.

MC

SaRuMaN, I was wondering what laws you are speaking of? Do these laws apply to all forums, or just yours? I'm curious, seriously.

I would hate moderating under those circumstances. There are enough members that either fail to understand the rules or ignore them now. With 2 sets of rules there is the added confusion of someone being penalised for doing something on one part of the site that is perfectly acceptable on another.

SaRuMaN, I was wondering what laws you are speaking of? Do these laws apply to all forums, or just yours? I'm curious, seriously.

There are terms and conditions we must follow due to our associations with various third parties, server hosting, advertisers etc. The discussion or promotion of illegal activities such as drug taking violates those agreements and which therefore make these unsuitable topics to 'uncensor', even in an 18+ section. Topics that this applies to are usually legally questionnable anyway and are areas we are better off avoiding.

Guru's talking about a place to seriously discuss extraterrestrials, metaphysics etc. without the risk of x-kiddies running around and taking over the discussion with crazy stories; not a place for general off-topic adult discussion.

At least that's how I interpreted it.

Guru's talking about a place to seriously discuss extraterrestrials, metaphysics etc. without the risk of x-kiddies running around and taking over the discussion with crazy stories; not a place for general off-topic adult discussion.

You interpret as you like, however take note of what he actually said and it will be come clear what is likely to be discussed in an 18+ section...

Basically it is the same rules but simply lifting some of the restrictions like censorship and drug and alcohol rules.

This forum is for visitors of all ages, an age-restricted section would be a bad idea in my opinion.

I agree .. I'm not a fan of such restricted forums/sections, cause they tend to be quite ignorant, rude and vulgar.

Having an open forum, such as UM, makes interacting with members of different ages/races/faiths enjoyable ... and I must say the Moderating of this forum is the best I've seen ... :tu:

B)

Most of the problems with odd/uncivil/liars/rude members that I deal with here are folks that are well over 18. At least the kids are open to being corrected when they step out of line.

Nailed it...

I was serious about a place like this...however after reading responses here it is likely not going to happen, it's completely understandable also.

You interpret as you like, however take note of what he actually said and it will be come clear what is likely to be discussed in an 18+ section...
I never said adult things would not be posted in an adult section, but that could have been seperated in it's own little subsection away from serious debate and investigation. Obviously people here by now must surely know that I am again'st all forms of censorship.

There are terms and conditions we must follow due to our associations with various third parties, server hosting, advertisers etc. The discussion or promotion of illegal activities such as drug taking violates those agreements and which therefore make these unsuitable topics to 'uncensor', even in an 18+ section. Topics that this applies to are usually legally questionnable anyway and are areas we are better off avoiding.

Essentially you do not want to lose site sponsers as a server host has no say in what gets posted here. Completely understandable in you have signed contracts with these people.

I wouldn't like that idea. Like SaRu said, this is an all-ages forum.

Like I said time and time again, age doesn't reflect on intelligence and maturity here. I've seen people from all age groups act immature on UM.

Plus, how would you know how old someone truly is? For all you know, I could be 90!

For example, AC's last bithday on this site made him 101 years old. We ALL know he is much younger.

Personally, I come to UM because it's not so "adult content". Knowing that your posts may be read by minors & should be addressed in such a way is a good stretch for some of us. I have a habit of swearing (like a sailor/truck driver) & knowing that I have to use better language is good for me. :tu:

I think that there are plenty of sites that offer free/uncensored speech. If ya don't find one that suits you, keep lookin'...I'm sure you'll find it. Or make your own, it's pretty darned easy to do. I like the respect that UM has in place, by some it's rules/limitations. It's nice to be able to disagree with someone without them having to revert to calling you some name. Not that I care what people think of me, it just gets old hearing it again & again. :wacko:

I se Saruman's point. When I fist came here, I was confronted with a few who refused to even consider what I posed and who where the ones that wanted to insult and attempt to push my hot buttons - ADULTS. At lest the youth either calmly disbelieve, which I respect, or are open to the possibility.

I always like to get clarification. :geek: By an adult section with no censorship, would that mean there could be flaming, obscenities, etc? I would not like that and would not join if that's the case.

On the other hand, I find it extremely hard to meet people over 40 on the internet (or even off for that matter) who are interested in spiritual (rather than 'religious'), metaphysical and paranormal subjects. I would be all for a section of this sort, as long as it 'is' moderated and conforms to the rules of netiquette and the host servers, etc. :yes:

I had no idea you couldn't talk about drugs/and or alcohol on this site. What about pictures

linked-image

:D

Swan,

That's pretty much the standard as it is right now minus the occasional thread that may have been submitted by younger members. Maybe not a lot of over 40 oldsters like us, but still a variety of intelligent and interesting characters.

MM

Swan,

That's pretty much the standard as it is right now minus the occasional thread that may have been submitted by younger members. Maybe not a lot of over 40 oldsters like us, but still a variety of intelligent and interesting characters.

MM

Hiya there, Magikman,

It's nice to meet another person considered on the internet to be a "Golden Oldie". :tu:

I spend most of my time at least partially housebound and have little or absolutely no other adult socialization expect for the internet. It's difficult to find others of my generation to speak with. :hmm: It would just be nice to know there was one group like that with this topic of interest in common, which is not to say I don't enjoy interacting with the youngers, because I do. ;)

Uncensored conversations, pictures, ect. Hmm...only if there's some hot girls aboard. :-) Edited by Shadow09

Don't we basically get to discuss whatever we want anyways? As long as it is context that is.

If your looking for a place where there will be no "crazy theories", "immaturity", etc. then you have to know that those things don't have to do with age.

And guys we are on he internet...you don't think people can fake their age?

If something like this was ever made I would find it discriminatory and ageist hehe.