Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Lack of Personal Bf Encounters

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#46    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 09 February 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

Guess i will break the ice on this one Then,  normally i don't talk about this because  i have no witnesses or evidence, and especially i don't like being called specific names that people seem to use on  sightings and visions and such..  Back in the early eighties I went target shooting regularly in the Mts near the sulton basin in wa. state  ( back beforethe locals  started showing up  and standing next to the targets you were using in the sandpits you were using for the practise )  on one specific  day  i was target practising with my 30-06   I went through about 30 rounds and then i noticed movement out of the corner of my eye so I scoped in on the movement.
there was a face, covered in sort of orangy brown fur  looking at me from the top right side of the sand pit.. I stared for what seemed several minutes before it sunk through my thick skull what i was appearently looking at. My first thought was my God a bigfoot,  My second thought was one million dollars bounty ( i had heard somewhere that once apon a time there was a bounty on a bigfoot dead or alive)  and   instead of pulling the trigger I set the rifle down.  we stared at each other for another moment then it pulled back and vanished into the forest.
with it now gone i grabed the rifle and went to investigate, i found nothing, no foot prints, to hair, no stench, nothing to indicate anything had been there the only thing i noticed was that when i tried to measure how tall the thing was ( i was 5 10 at the time ) i required my rifle to reach the branch that the head had been next to.  Holding the rifle just behind the trigger guard I was just barely able to touch that branch.
   Suddenly i got cold chills and returned to the car and left.   I was sure that i just  saw a real bigfoot and remained sure for a couple year,  until the night i saw the movie harry and the hendersons. when they showed harry in the pool grinning I lost it for awhile because That was the face i saw looing back at me.
I was sober, I did not use drugs,  and i don't believe that someone would walk through the woods in a bigfoot costume out in the middle of nowhere just for the fun of it,especially not when  someone is target shooting with a large bore rifle. Whatever i saw is lucky i didn't shoot it as i considered it for several seconds before putting down the rifle. and as a hunter who has been in touching distance of a black bear several time ( reach out and touch it distance) over the years I Know it was not a bear.
edited for spelling

Thank you for sharing, mysticwerewolf! :tu:

I can't tell you what you saw or even guess.

Have you found others in that area that have had similar experiences?
Did you ever go back?
Why do you think you didn't pull the trigger?
Were you afraid at all, either during the encounter or after it sank in?
Did it make any sound?
And you are still convinced today?
How did it change you?

These are the why's I am interested in more and more. Even if I do not believe this creature inhabits our land, without concrete evidence, I enjoy hearing encounters from average people, they are interesting to me.
I am not hoping for more people to share their encounters on UM, so I can tell them what they saw and that it wasn't a bigfoot.

Also, these encounters fuel that lingering speck of hope in my breast that one day...one day...

Edited by QuiteContrary, 09 February 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#47    Tia

Tia

The Naughty Angel.

• 6,272 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I've been a member on here since early 2004 and back then there were an equal number of people on both sides of the sassy debate. I use to post quite a bit when our or my encounters happened. We use to have good discussions.

I left for a few years due to kids and such and when I returned UM had completely changed, a lot of the good people were gone. They were fed up with the one sided crap and hammering people were copping and boy did I soon learn all about that.

I come on here now and again but get sick of *certain members - snip*

I guess that's one of the reasons I don't share anymore, plus my beliefs have changed with the knowledge I've learnt. I'm also studying 2 major courses atm and trying to complete them as quickly as possible so rarely look at any forum any more but felt I wanted to answer this question.

QC I did give you honest answers when you wanted to play the make believe game I didn't guess any of that, it's what I've learnt after years of involvement with our guys.

Also besides being hammered just for saying you've seen something, imagine what one would cop if they revealed all they knew? I would be more then willing to sit a lie detector test to prove I'm telling the truth I have nothing to hide if it would prove once and for all I've been honest all along. One day I'd like to write it all down so that my youngest will remember it all, at her age I'm worried she may forget some things and it's such an amazing and special journey we have all been on that would be a sad loss.

I hope you do get people willing to come forward but I doubt it.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 11 February 2013 - 04:38 PM.
Removed references to individual members - that's just going to inflame situations

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.
HEY I WON!

#48    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

I have made it a personal policy not to question the regular posters bigfoot encounters as I have in the past, for a couple of reasons;

1. I honestly like and respect most of them, and would rather keep them around. After all what good is a discussion, when all you have is one point of view to talk about?

2. They tend to get a bit defensive when you start asking the hard questions which is understandable...I guess. I suppose I can come off as a bit harsh and direct with the way I question these stories sometimes, but I spent most of my adult life in a military unit where direct and pointed communication was a cultural norm and necessity. One thing I have learned and am still learning is that this type of communication is not received very well in the civilian world.

#49    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostStardrive, on 08 February 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

QC, I know you've been an avid outdoors person for some time. I'm sure your convinced in your mind you've never seen any evidence of anything bf related while in the great outdoors. I'd be willing to bet the bank you wouldn't know evidence if you saw it and have walked right on by it many times without giving a second thought to it. I don't mean any disrespect, it's just you haven't been trained, or had it explained to you, to know what it is your looking for, and looking at. It's tricky yes, but It's like clam digging, once you get the hang of it, it's on. It's a brand new year and spring is right around the corner. It'll be interesting to see what I find this time around. Can't wait to get back out there.

Care to elaborate on the nature of the sign you are referencing SD? I do agree attention to detail (a calibrated eye) is key when observing nature, but knowledge of what exactly it is you are observing can be very subtle. I do consider myself an excellent observer and very knowledgeable of wildlife and their habits, and somewhat of a decent tracker. But I aint no Dannel Boone so please share...what is it I am missing out there?

#50    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,561 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

View Postevancj, on 09 February 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

Care to elaborate on the nature of the sign you are referencing SD? I do agree attention to detail (a calibrated eye) is key when observing nature, but knowledge of what exactly it is you are observing can be very subtle. I do consider myself an excellent observer and very knowledgeable of wildlife and their habits, and somewhat of a decent tracker. But I aint no Dannel Boone so please share...what is it I am missing out there?

I have the same question.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#51    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

View Postevancj, on 09 February 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

what is it I am missing out there?

At the risk of this being an inflammatory statement (flag if you see fit) I think what you are missing, Evan, isn't what is out there but what you bring with you.  You, like me, do not seem to carry the belief that BF is real with you out into the woods.  I think that for some - that belief drives a confirmation bias that imposes a subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) influence on the experiences of believers in the wild.

#52    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

I think you have a valid point OP, but I think we will soon see someone who will turn your argument into its inverse position.

#53    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

View Postevancj, on 09 February 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

I think you have a valid point OP, but I think we will soon see someone who will turn your argument into its inverse position.

As they well should.  All's fair in love, war, and internet discussion forums.  :tu:

#54    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

View PostTia, on 09 February 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

I come on here now and again but get sick of I'll name him it won't be a surprise Night Walker (must thank you also for making a really good person leave here someone that wasn't connected in any way to the sassy community). Whenever I mention anything he will dredge up old stuff even when he has been given answers and really hates the fact that I use to hang with a certain research group who I honestly believed at the time were genuine but left as we got into fights over things that were happening in the group and I questioned  NW has had his own encounters with these guys so he knows how they'll try to run your name into the mud yet he jumps on that to use against me.

*snip*

Appreciate your reply, Tia.
You bring out an interesting point. Fighting and arguing and disagreeing happen among believers as well. I think it is hard to avoid. But, yes, there is a "protocol" for discussion if you will, i guess, to keep posters posting.

I do not get the feeling that many would attack average joe/jane witnesses. I just don't see it in the posting style and personality of many of the regular bigfoot thread posters on UM. Imo

As far as the "infamous" believers, they get attacked by believers as well, mercilessly and maybe more aggressively than by the skeptics because they paint a picture of believers and bigfoot that many find embarrassing and damaging.

I would like to hear more of your encounters and those of others. And yes there is no doubt you will be challenged. But as I said, I just see most of the UM skeptics who regularly comment on bigfoot as being very accommodating and interested and civil...and for a few hopeful that one day we'll get the big news!   But not having posted an encounter, it is easy for me to say this and I can't tell an eye witness they should post their encounter.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 09 February 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#55    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Thanks again for more excellent replies, everyone! :clap:

#56    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

View Postevancj, on 09 February 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

I have made it a personal policy not to question the regular posters bigfoot encounters as I have in the past, for a couple of reasons;

1. I honestly like and respect most of them, and would rather keep them around. After all what good is a discussion, when all you have is one point of view to talk about?

2. They tend to get a bit defensive when you start asking the hard questions which is understandable...I guess. I suppose I can come off as a bit harsh and direct with the way I question these stories sometimes, but I spent most of my adult life in a military unit where direct and pointed communication was a cultural norm and necessity. One thing I have learned and am still learning is that this type of communication is not received very well in the civilian world.

I can see how someone who is posting on an encounter with a bigfoot could be overly-sensitive, easily scared off, embarrassed, defensive, unsure.

I like people who are  blunt and to the point. I find an honesty in it. A purity of intentions in it. A clarity to their questions and comments. But this is not everyone's cup of tea.

Yet, should encounter posters  be somewhat prepared for this? and hopefully not run off too quickly, or jump to conclusions as well?
Because it has got to be hard to find the "perfect" discussion scenario on cryptos anywhere. By nature encounters beg questions and details and a bit of resilience in sharing.

But again, easy for me to say...I have no experience posting a personal encounter...

Edited by QuiteContrary, 09 February 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#57    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,478 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Topic title: Lack of Personal Bf Encounters

*doubletake*

I was totally reading that as "Lack of Personal Boyfriend Encounters"

And back on the topic of bigfoot :D

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

#58    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

i spent several summers in sulton basin  area of the cascades in the early eighties  for target huinting  for hiking and camping and gold panning ( never found anything) and for hunting the super natural. in 81 and 82 it seemed that every time i went up there  something  with no logical iexplanation ( Other that  your imagining things or you were drunk / stoned / insane) would happen to me and to whomever was with me.
  I was not scared when i looked whatever it was in the eyes, I got the distinct impression however that i was the one being watched and studied, it wasn't just there to see what the noise was about, and after i was unable to find any evidence that i had  seen something i became concerned, ( cold chills down the spine can do that to a person.) but not scared or afraid
I became scared of what i could have done when i saw the movie a couple years later. if it was someone in a bigfoot suit he should be thanking the universe that he's still alive as i don't miss... Well at that time in my life i didn't miss, that was why i practiced at the cost of several hundred rounds every summer, so I would not miss.  
yes there were tales in the circles I ran in that strange things  and even stranger things happened up there. bigfoots,  nature elementals  indian ghosts, witchcraft  lost time ( which i experienced )

edited for spelling
As to why i didn't pull the trigger,   I honestly do not know

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 09 February 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#59    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 09 February 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

i spent several summers in sulton basin  area of the cascades in the early eighties  for target huinting  for hiking and camping and gold panning ( never found anything) and for hunting the super natural. in 81 and 82 it seemed that every time i went up there  something  with no logical iexplanation ( Other that  your imagining things or you were drunk / stoned / insane) would happen to me and to whomever was with me.
  I was not scared when i looked whatever it was in the eyes, I got the distinct impression however that i was the one being watched and studied, it wasn't just there to see what the noise was about, and after i was unable to find any evidence that i had  seen something i became concerned, ( cold chills down the spine can do that to a person.) but not scared or afraid
I became scared of what i could have done when i saw the movie a couple years later. if it was someone in a bigfoot suit he should be thanking the universe that he's still alive as i don't miss... Well at that time in my life i didn't miss, that was why i practiced at the cost of several hundred rounds every summer, so I would not miss.  
yes there were tales in the circles I ran in that strange things  and even stranger things happened up there. bigfoots,  nature elementals  indian ghosts, witchcraft  lost time ( which i experienced )

edited for spelling
As to why i didn't pull the trigger,   I honestly do not know

I think you should be commended for not pulling the trigger when you weren't sure, in fact, I've mention several times to people here and on other boards that it's all too easy to get excited, have visions of hitting it big and fame and groupies and such hanging all over you only to discover you shot a guy in a Ghillie suit who was changing position. I also tell people that if you're going to actively hunt a Bigfoot to hunt with a non-scoped rifle or, my personal preference, a shotgun loaded with slugs. It will force you not to take that really long shot and 300 yards or greater.

Also, thanks you for posting your experience.

#60    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

well  i was less that seventy feet away from this target.  i don't take long shots or practise long shots... to much chance to miss at 300 or 400 yards,  something I am almost fanitical about is one shot kills, if you can't do it in one shot you don't do it.  in this case i didn't even realize i was putting the rifle down until  i was doing so.

i was asked earlier if my life had changed because of this.  i can't say No but  I also can't say yes,  I can say i didn't believe  it/they were possible until that day.

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 10 February 2013 - 12:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users