Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Dynasty 4 papyrus and port found in Sinai

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,770 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

Dr. Mohammed Ibrahim, the Minister of State for Antiquities Affaires declared the discovery of one of the most ancient ports in history that date to King "Khufu" at "Wadi el- Jarf" Area, The Red Sea Shore, exactly 180 km. south Suez, Suez- Zafarana Road.

Source

This is a very interesting discovery. In one excavation archaeologists have found the oldest-known port of ancient Egypt as well as the oldest-known hieroglyphs on papyri documents. Before this discovery, the oldest records were hieratic papyri documents dating to Dynasty 5. This discovery dates to Dynasty 4 and specifically mentions Khnum-Khuf, a.k.a. Khufu, builder of the Great Pyramid. This portion of papyrus preserves the name well:

Posted Image

In the very top-left corner you can see the cartouche containing the name Khnum-Khuf. In the next register to the right and in an even large scale is the serekh (long rectangular box) containing Khufu's Horus name, Medjedu.

Other sections of papyri record the duties and every-day activities of ordinary people who worked at and lived nearby the port:

Posted Image

It goes to show, there is always something more for archaeologists to find.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#2    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,633 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 13 April 2013 - 03:23 AM, said:

Source

This is a very interesting discovery. In one excavation archaeologists have found the oldest-known port of ancient Egypt as well as the oldest-known hieroglyphs on papyri documents. Before this discovery, the oldest records were hieratic papyri documents dating to Dynasty 5. This discovery dates to Dynasty 4 and specifically mentions Khnum-Khuf, a.k.a. Khufu, builder of the Great Pyramid. This portion of papyrus preserves the name well:

Posted Image

In the very top-left corner you can see the cartouche containing the name Khnum-Khuf. In the next register to the right and in an even large scale is the serekh (long rectangular box) containing Khufu's Horus name, Medjedu.

Other sections of papyri record the duties and every-day activities of ordinary people who worked at and lived nearby the port:

Posted Image

It goes to show, there is always something more for archaeologists to find.

Thanks kmt_sesh for the post. I bet this find is sticking in a few peoples craw right about now. :w00t:

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,397 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 13 April 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

Thanks kmt_sesh for the post. I bet this find is sticking in a few peoples craw right about now. :w00t:

cormac
Why?

#4    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,998 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

the cartouche with Khufu's name ... it means the aliens lost all rights to patents of pyramid building technology I think ....

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,397 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Oh I see; I ignore that stuff so I didn't understand.  Do they actually deny his existence?

#6    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,998 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 13 April 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

Oh I see; I ignore that stuff so I didn't understand.  Do they actually deny his existence?

No no no ... only his involvement with building the pyramids and that little problem of not staying where he was supposed to be buried

Posted Image

~

~

#7    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

"They" who we all know, will even now be doing all sorts of mental gymnastics, tautologies and twists and turns to come up with some answer of monumental ignorance. Only a matter of time......

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 13 April 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#8    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,164 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

"Monumental Ignorance."

Excellent pun.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#9    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,998 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

excellence par none

~

~

#10    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,770 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

I don't know if this find will actually have much effect on the fringe crowd. The ancient port and its papyri are nowhere near Giza, and none of the papyri have anything to do with the Great Pyramid (in so far as I'm aware).

Those who are active in the Alternative History forum will, however, be familiar with certain posters who deny a king named Khufu actually built the pyramid. LOL Now that I peruse the above posts, I see that all of you are active in the Alternative History forum, so I think you know the posters to whom I refer. Some suggest the Giza pyramids are thousands of years older than conventionally thought, which we now know beyond doubt is laughably incorrect due to modern scientific investigations. Still, that doesn't seem to sway some posters from grasping tenaciously to disproven fringe claims.

Other posters still try to argue that the graffiti in the relieving chambers of the Great Pyramid does not refer to Khufu but to another king (and in some circles, more than one other king), which also doesn't bear further consideration. Those familiar with the linguistics of the ancient Egyptian scripts have no logical reason to doubt the authenticity of the graffiti, and fringe desperation aside, that conclusion is not going to change.

I don't want to drag fringe ideas into this discussion, considering this particular forum is geared toward more scientific discussions. To me this is a very interesting discovery but on purely academic grounds. Fringe proponents don't tend to understand the basics of historical studies in the first place, so I don't imagine they'll appreciate this find one way or the other.

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#11    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,164 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 13 April 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

I don't know if this find will actually have much effect on the fringe crowd.
Yes, ... you do:

View Postkmt_sesh, on 13 April 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

Fringe proponents don't tend to understand the basics of historical studies in the first place, so I don't imagine they'll appreciate this find one way or the other.

When has that crowd ever been affected by academic findings?

Okay, I'll stop now with the fringe.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#12    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,770 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

I know, Harte. They're natural targets. It's hard for us "skeptics" to control ourselves.

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#13    blackdogsun

blackdogsun

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:07 AM

thanks kmt .. most interesting
more pictures of the finds and site here http://news.discover...ered-130412.htm

#14    blackdogsun

blackdogsun

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

hi kmt
you pointed out in another thread herethat Khufu's birth name and horus name have been found so far on the papyri recovered.
i know they have only found fragments so far, but i was wondering: is there any significance that might be conveyed if Khufu's official title as pharaoh is not present on any of the documents found?

Edited by blackdogsun, 14 April 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#15    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

View Postblackdogsun, on 14 April 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

thanks kmt .. most interesting
more pictures of the finds and site here http://news.discover...ered-130412.htm
I thought the most intersting part is this, and I quote from the article

But one papyrus is much more intriguing: it's the diary of Merrer, an Old Kingdom official involved in the building of the Great Pyramid of Cheops.
From four different sheets and many fragments, the researchers were able to follow his daily activity for more that three months.
"He mainly reported about his many trips to the Turah limestone quarry to fetch block for the building of the pyramid," Tallet said.
“Although we will not learn anything new about the construction of Cheops monument, this diary provides for the first time an insight on this matter," Tallet said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users