Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Death Omens

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    Agent D. Scully

Agent D. Scully

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

• "O monstrous! O strange! We are haunted!"

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

In the area where I live, it is very uncommon to hear a whipporwhill. When my dad was young, he heard one calling at night. The next day his grandmother suffered a fatal heart attack. Years later when he was 14 he heard one and his Dad passed away. Once more, when he was 16 he heard one on his way to a school dance and when he got their he found out one of his friends had been killed by a drunk driver. My grandmother says she heard one when her mother died, and another when her brother passed. Both of them say they never heard one other than those incidents, and both say they never want to here them again.

I also hear countless incidents where birds flying into a house or hitting a wondow on a house means a death in the family.

A few months ago, a big black stray dog used to sit in our yard around midnight and just howl, directly below my grandmother's window. Later, I found out she had gotten her will straightened out, cleaned her closets, and decided what she would be burried in. She was certain it meant her death. She's still with us now.

So do you have any experiences like my familie's with the whipporwhill? Do you have any superstitions regarding death?

De omnibus Dubitandum. All is to be doubted.

"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you."

Come visit My  youtube channel!

#2    Juuri

Juuri

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• "Why are you trying so hard to fit in? When you are born to stand out." - Oliver James

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

Well my family say when a baby owl comes at night to visit you by door or in your garden, he will deliver news of death to a person you know. You must insult him to make him go away.

I experienced it by my self, a baby owl sat in front of my window and 2 days later my childhood friend who was 8th months pregnant of boy died in a car crash..

So I'm not expecting for anyone els to believe it but it's something of the many superstitions in our culture... ^_^

It is Said that some Lives are Linked across Time..
They are Connected by an Ancient Calling..
Destiny

#3    Agent D. Scully

Agent D. Scully

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

• "O monstrous! O strange! We are haunted!"

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

That's interesting.... I've never seen a baby owl out here, maybe I should be glad of that :)

De omnibus Dubitandum. All is to be doubted.

"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you."

Come visit My  youtube channel!

#4    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,622 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

There's a death omen about birds flying/crashing into your window.. also if one flies into your house. I think it's usually black birds, but I've heard it applied to out of season birds too.

#5    Juuri

Juuri

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• "Why are you trying so hard to fit in? When you are born to stand out." - Oliver James

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

Agent D. Scully, on 22 May 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

That's interesting.... I've never seen a baby owl out here, maybe I should be glad of that :)

Lol I guess you should.

It is Said that some Lives are Linked across Time..
They are Connected by an Ancient Calling..
Destiny

#6    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

• 私は宇宙のガーディアンです

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:42 AM

I do believe in omens, but anything superstitious like allowing a black cat to cross my path won't concern me.

Posted Image
UFOs aren't always the alien's spacecraft...sometimes they are the aliens.

#7    Emin

Emin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

yeah if an owl screeches at you it means death or if a very large dark colored moth settles near your door it means death, i've experienced both but it's what i've heard from my family.  :rolleyes:

I am an Emin of truth!

#8    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

rashore, on 22 May 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

There's a death omen about birds flying/crashing into your window.. also if one flies into your house. I think it's usually black birds, but I've heard it applied to out of season birds too.

I had a bird fly into my window once. Poor thing knocked itself out. We thought it was dead so we went to get rid of it. Surprised as hell when it hopped up and started flapping :)

P.S. No-one died :P

Emin, on 25 May 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

yeah if an owl screeches at you it means death

This is in fact true. If you are a mouse.

Couldn't resist :)

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#9    Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko

Who's to say what is proper?

• 2,972 posts

• "Is this your last best chance? Or are you going to your grave with unlived lives in your veins?"

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

People around here believe that when a big black moth enters your home, it is an omen of death.

Also when an owl lingers by your window at night, that someone has cursed you.

Yesterday, the weirdest thing happened. I was sitting in the kitchen when I heard distinct whispering in my ear. Strange and scary for sure.

#10    AZTom

AZTom

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

Agent D. Scully, on 22 May 2011 - 06:06 PM, said:

In the area where I live, it is very uncommon to hear a whipporwhill. When my dad was young, he heard one calling at night. The next day his grandmother suffered a fatal heart attack. Years later when he was 14 he heard one and his Dad passed away. Once more, when he was 16 he heard one on his way to a school dance and when he got their he found out one of his friends had been killed by a drunk driver. My grandmother says she heard one when her mother died, and another when her brother passed. Both of them say they never heard one other than those incidents, and both say they never want to here them again.

I also hear countless incidents where birds flying into a house or hitting a wondow on a house means a death in the family.

A few months ago, a big black stray dog used to sit in our yard around midnight and just howl, directly below my grandmother's window. Later, I found out she had gotten her will straightened out, cleaned her closets, and decided what she would be burried in. She was certain it meant her death. She's still with us now.

So do you have any experiences like my familie's with the whipporwhill? Do you have any superstitions regarding death?
Call me a skeptic, but I think your dad heard whipporwills more than 4 times in his life, how else would he knowwhat one sounds like? You're grandmother only heard two in her life, yet knew what the sound was?

Edited by AZTom, 01 June 2011 - 10:31 PM.

#11    Gatofeo

Gatofeo

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

• "An ugly cat. Vast desert. Smoke and fire. Flying lead makes holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." --- Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

I have Native American friends who believe that an owl outside your home is a sign of an impending death. They don't like the birds, but don't bother them.
But then, cultures around the world have always associated something nefarious with owls. Myself, I like them. I live in the remote desert of northwestern Utah. There are a few Great Horned Owls around here, and they often perch in the big tree outside my place at night.
My cats are unbothered by them. Any owl trying to pick up one of MY cats would get a hernia, so fat are they. I'm sure the owls see the cats as too big to bother with, so they eat the native rodents, which is a good thing.

I love hearing owls hoot at night. Great Horned Owls can be quite loud, and they seem forceful in their hoots as if to say, "Hey! This is MY tree tonight and the rest of you stay away! Got that?!"
Yep, they're a rather territorial bird. Their eyes glow when hit with a flashlight, and that's about the only way you can find them in trees at night. They sit very still and are hard to spot in all the branches and leaves.

I don't believe that owls foretell a death any more than walking under a ladder suddenly changes your fate. People ascribe far too much authority to ancient "wisdom" and customs.

Edited by Gatofeo, 04 June 2011 - 05:39 PM.

My god! How that ghost makes me dread
My attempts to sleep at night, in my bed
All that moaning and groaning
Keep me awake until morning
Oh wait --- it's that couple next door, newly wed!

--- Copyright 2006 by Gatofeo

I support Rehabilitation through Reincarnation!

#12    TheFlyingDutchman

TheFlyingDutchman

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 170 posts

• When there is no more room in hell, the dead shall walk the earth.

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:43 AM

My family doesn't follow any death omens, sorry.

#13    Fyfee

Fyfee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

A bird in the house especially a crow or hitting the window.. Dreaming someones pregnant.. and the banshee of course

#14    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,707 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

Agent D. Scully, on 22 May 2011 - 06:06 PM, said:

The European equivalent (the Night-jar or Jenny-spinner) has a similar reputation. Except they're not considered an omen of death exactly. They are said to be able to detect a departing soul and steal it. Country folk know them as 'Lytch-fowl' - named after the Lytch-gate, the covered gateway to ancient English churchyards where the coffin rested momentarily for prayers before proceeding into the church. The bird was thought to hide in the rafters awaiting the coffin.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#15    The Doctor Is In

The Doctor Is In

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:38 AM

blackbird. also when i get a phone call saying "____ just died"...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users