Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Belgian twins choose euthenasia

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#16    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,533 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Life should always be protected at all costs... It's too slippery of a slope not to.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#17    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 14 January 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

But this is not what justifies euthanasia, at least in my book. I'm not saying they don't have the right to die - everyone does if that is their wish - but they certainly, in my view, don't have the right to be killed by a medical professional when they could do it themselves. A medical professional who became a doctor to save lives, and will have to live with this on his conscience for the rest of his life.

Hire a hit-man. They're the opposite of doctors :) Seriously though, euthanasia should be reserved for people who do not have the ability to kill themselves, otherwise it's just legalised murder.

If you don't have the courage to kill yourself, then this tells you that somewhere, deep down, you actually want to live/don't want to die.
Being afraid has nothing to do with wanting to stay alive. Some people are just as scared to keep living, knowing that their days are numbered but not knowing when that final hour will be. Then you have a chance! A gun, a razor, who knows. You're faced with it, end it or keep it going, keep this facade of nothingness going or end it?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#18    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 14 January 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Why didn't they just cross the border, climb the Eiffel Tower, and go out in style?

It's people like you that makes this world a horrible place to be in. The doctors ended their hardship with dignity, and from that you wanted the two brothers to jump off a building? You  are an animal. Go do some spirituality courses, then come back and join society

Edited by pitchp, 14 January 2013 - 10:23 PM.

"The truth is out there. We are all searching for it."
   PitchP

#19    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

View Postpitchp, on 14 January 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

It's people like you that makes this world a horrible place to be in. The doctors ended their hardship with dignity, and from that you wanted the two brothers to jump off a building? You  are an animal. Go do some spirituality courses, then come back and join society

A bit harsh considering I only made a joke about two people that no one here will ever know but whatever. I suggest you stay away from stand up comedians, for they often have far less taste than me.

Yes, jump off the building (actually, the Eiffel Tower is a structure, not a building), would be one way to do it, but OverSword gave another one in a serious point he made. And what is dignified about having someone end your life for you? If anything, dignified would be having the courage to end it yourself, and to not go out like a lame horse, or dog, or a death row prisoner!

And a spirituality course? I'd rather do a Scientology course.

#20    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,689 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Euthanasia is legal under Belgian law if those making the decision can make their wishes clear and are suffering unbearable pain, according to a doctor's judgement.
LINK

So, where was the unbearable pain?  Are we now to say that Depression is unbearable pain?  Emotional Stress unbearable pain?  This isn't right...it just isn't and I will tell you why...
Hasina said...their body...their choice...fine...but if it is their body and their choice to end their lives, then they should have committed suicide...not 'applied for non-self-inflicted suicide' with the Government.  Fine, if they want to kill themselves, then do a suicide pact and just do it...but don't bring in someone else to do it for you.  It is akin to hiring a hitman to kill you...except I am sure the Tax Payers were the one's paying and THAT in and of itself is way wrong!  Why should I have to pay for YOUR suicide?  It's ludicrous.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#21    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,124 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

View Postacidhead, on 14 January 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

Life should always be protected at all costs... It's too slippery of a slope not to.
If you don't own your life, what do you own?

#22    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,124 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 14 January 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

Hire a hit-man. They're the opposite of doctors :) Seriously though, euthanasia should be reserved for people who do not have the ability to kill themselves, otherwise it's just legalised murder.
According to what you just said, as long as someone can bite their own tongue even the terminally ill should be denied euthanasia.

#23    joc

joc

• 12,689 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 15 January 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

If you don't own your life, what do you own?
You do own your own life.  So, if you want to end your own life...end it.  I would do my best to talk you out of it, give you some positive options, counseling, etc.  But these guys didn't get that...the Government should not be in the business of sanctioning murder...and yes...that is what it is...it isn't suicide if someone else pulls the trigger..we call that murder...at least...we used to.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#24    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,124 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

View Postjoc, on 15 January 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

You do own your own life.  So, if you want to end your own life...end it.  I would do my best to talk you out of it, give you some positive options, counseling, etc.  But these guys didn't get that...the Government should not be in the business of sanctioning murder...and yes...that is what it is...it isn't suicide if someone else pulls the trigger..we call that murder...at least...we used to.
Murder by definition is illegal. Legal murder is an oxymoron.

Edited by Rlyeh, 15 January 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#25    joc

joc

• 12,689 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 15 January 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

Murder by definition is illegal. Legal murder is an oxymoron.
Why can't they just do it the old fashioned...wait...the New Fashioned...American Way?  One brother should shoot the other in the head, and then shoot himself in the head...murder/suicide...they could have flipped a coin to see who went first.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#26    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 15 January 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

According to what you just said, as long as someone can bite their own tongue even the terminally ill should be denied euthanasia.

I like your point, but it's going to the extreme a bit, no? If they can use a razor, take an elevator, tie some rope, maybe even swallow some pills themselves, why should a doctor and, as joc stated, the government, be brought in? Especially considering that their pain would only be emotional. Another word for that type of 'pain' is mental. What next? Assisted suicide for manic depressives?

#27    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 15 January 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

I like your point, but it's going to the extreme a bit, no? If they can use a razor, take an elevator, tie some rope, maybe even swallow some pills themselves, why should a doctor and, as joc stated, the government, be brought in? Especially considering that their pain would only be emotional. Another word for that type of 'pain' is mental. What next? Assisted suicide for manic depressives?
The only real solution would just be to look at it case by case, can their depression or what have you be solved by other means?

#28    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,124 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 15 January 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

Why should someone in pain be forced to go to such measures? Should those who need operations also be forced to do it themselves?

BTW who else is going to regulate euthanasia? Some guy in a dark alley?

#29    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,124 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

View Postjoc, on 15 January 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

Why can't they just do it the old fashioned...wait...the New Fashioned...American Way?  One brother should shoot the other in the head, and then shoot himself in the head...murder/suicide...they could have flipped a coin to see who went first.
Because they probably weren't americans.

#30    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,276 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

View Postpitchp, on 14 January 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

Dignity?  That's a pretty strong word to use when referring to two people that were ended thier lives without being terminally ill.  Hell they hadn't even gone blind yet.  And there are people that are deaf and blind that don't kill themselves.  Before you ask if they're happy living like that, I'm not even sure I'm so happy (despite my incredibly good looks)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users