Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

This Day in History

Keel M.

Looking for little known history facts for each day of the year.

27 March

On this day in 1915, the woman who would be known as Typhoid Mary was arrested and quarantined for the remainder of her life for willfully spreading typhoid fever. She was the first person in the US identified as an asymptomatic carrier of the pathogen associated with the bacterial disease. She would spend the rest of her life in quarantine.

• Like 6

Huh... Learn something new every day.

• Like 1

The frist time she was arrested her jail was on an island called north brother island in ny. Then years later people started geting sick and it was mary she changed her name

Happy B'day MonkeyOrchid...

On this date: 29 March 1867, The "North American Act" was passed by the British Parliment, creating the Dominion of Canada...

So to all our Canadian friends... "Congrats, eh!"

• Like 2

On this day in 1915, the woman who would be known as Typhoid Mary was arrested and quarantined for the remainder of her life for willfully spreading typhoid fever. She was the first person in the US identified as an asymptomatic carrier of the pathogen associated with the bacterial disease. She would spend the rest of her life in quarantine.

Yup, she showed no signs of the disease at all, thus refused to believe she was responsible. It was a unique case of legal apprehension and quarantine.

Here's a NOVA documentary on this sad case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc8O9EnAuLo

Edited by redhen
  • Like 1

30th.March 1867....The United States government purchases Alaska. The purchase of Alaska from Russia for $7.2 million meant the US was paying roughly two cents per acre of land.

• Like 2

On April 1st. 1700, English pranksters begin popularising the annual tradition of April Fools' Day by playing practical jokes on each other.

Although the day, also called All Fools' Day, has been celebrated for several centuries by different cultures, its exact origins remain a mystery. Some historians speculate that April Fools' Day dates back to 1582, when France switched from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar, as called for by the Council of Trent in 1563. People who were slow to get the news or failed to recognise that the start of the new year had moved to January 1 and continued to celebrate it during the last week of March through April 1 became the butt of jokes and hoaxes. These included having paper fish placed on their backs and being referred to as "poisson d'avril" (April fish), said to symbolise a young, easily caught fish and a gullible person.

Historians have also linked April Fools' Day to ancient festivals such as Hilaria, which was celebrated in Rome at the end of March and involved people dressing up in disguises. There's also speculation that April Fools' Day was tied to the vernal equinox, or first day of spring in the Northern Hemisphere, when Mother Nature fooled people with changing, unpredictable weather.

April Fools' Day spread throughout Britain during the 18th century. In Scotland, the tradition became a two-day event, starting with "hunting the gowk," in which people were sent on phony errands (gowk is a word for cuckoo bird, a symbol for fool) and followed by Tailie Day, which involved pranks played on people's derrieres, such as pinning fake tails or "kick me" signs on them.

• Like 4

2 April

On this day in 1513, Juan Ponce de Leon reached Florida, becoming the first European known to do so. He was searching for the Fountain of Youth in the New World.

• Like 3

3rd.April 1882 - The outlaw Jesse James was shot in the back and killed by Robert Ford for a $5,000 reward. There was later controversy over whether it was actually Jesse James that had been killed.

• Like 2

4 April

The Kennel Club - the oldest kennel club in the world - was founded in the UK in 1873

• Like 1

4th.April 1917 - The US Senate voted 90-6 to enter World War I on the Allied side.

• Like 2

4th.April 1917 - The US Senate voted 90-6 to enter World War I on the Allied side.

I heard that they decided to intervene because it looked as if the Central Powers may win and seeing as the UK & France owed the US a pile of money it was merely the wise thing to do!

Could I have an Ealdwita snippet on this, please?

• Like 1

I heard that they decided to intervene because it looked as if the Central Powers may win and seeing as the UK & France owed the US a pile of money it was merely the wise thing to do!

Could I have an Ealdwita snippet on this, please?

Oh how I wish it had been as simple as that, Eldo! Even my students could've understood it! But.....snippet coming up.........

To begin the journey of America’s entry into WWI, I think we have to go back to 7thMay 1917 and the sinking of the RMS Lusitania by U20 off the coast of Ireland.

In 1915, in answer to Britain’s naval blockade, Germany announced ‘unrestricted submarine warfare’, and although the Lusitania was a British vessel and therefore, technically fair game, the loss of 128 (neutral) US citizens caused outrage on both sides of the Atlantic. In May, June and July, President Woodrow Wilson sent 3 separate notes to the German government, the third of which stated “The US would regard any subsequent sinkings as ‘deliberately unfriendly’”, but the US was still not ready for war despite pressure from former President Theodore Roosevelt who denounced both German ‘piracy’ and Wilson’s ‘cowardice’.

Even the so-called ‘Zimmerman Telegram’ sent by Germany’s foreign minister Arthur Zimmerman to his ambassador in Mexico, in which he offered to restore to Mexico the parts of the American Southwest it had lost in the 1840s failed to stir Wilson, and it wasn’t until public anger and resentment against German attacks on US shipping boiled over, that he asked Congress for a declaration of war.

On the 6th of April 1917, America declared war on Germany.

(Footnote) 116,708 US soldiers lost their lives and 204,002 were wounded.

(Taken directly from my lecture notes etc.)

....................................................................................................................................................

Today's anniversary........

7th April 1945 - The Japanese battleship Yamato, the world’s largest battleship, was sunk during the battle for Okinawa. The fleet was headed for a suicide mission.

• Like 2

Oooops.....Erata to the above....The Lusitania was sunk in 1915....not 1917, as some d******* has posted above!!!!! s9402.gif

I shall thrash the gibbering idiot to within an inch of his miserable existance when I catch him!!

• Like 4

Can I watch? :D

Tickets will be available shortly.

• Like 1

At 2.20 this morning, 101 years ago. the RMS Titanic finally sank beneath the waves.

• Like 2

16 April 1705... Queen Anne of England knights Isaac Newton

• Like 1

16th April 1982 Queen Elizabeth proclaimed the new Canadian constitution, severing Canada's last colonial links with Britain.

17th April

1492. Christopher Columbus signs a contract with Spain to find Indies.

1937. Cartoon characters Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd and Petunia Pig debut.

17th April 1521 - Martin Luther was excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church.

18 April

On this day in 1506, construction on the current St Peter's Basilica in Vatican City began to replace the old 4th century basilica.

Edited by Kasey2601

april 22 1952: an atomic test in nevada was the first nuclear detonation to be shown live on tv.

april 22 1970: the first 'earth day'

april 22 2013: the earth's still here.

celebrate while you can.

• Like 1