Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where do athiests think we came from?

• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#271    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 06 December 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

Or; you could ask him what "he" would like to be called. I call "him" mate, but then I am Australian.

:P @ I'd call him mate lol

Leave out the gender of god.. Once proven for all to observe, god then becomes what?

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#272    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 December 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

If science one day proves there really is a god, everyone can observe god... so god then becomes what?

God will remain God. Humans being the supreme ruler of earth has effected their perception. Science is a way of extracting usefulness  from around us. But observing God is like chickens observing us yet We are still Gods upon the earth.

Edited by C235, 06 December 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#273    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,267 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 06 December 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Is life so horrifying you need your imaginary friend to hold your hand?
Why reject any friend, imaginary or real, who is powerful and positive, who loves you, protects you, comforts you and  empowers you, even if that  turned out to be only through the power of psychological placebo?

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#274    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Come clean

Why are you so against there being a God? Has your life not gone the way you'd hoped?

#275    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 December 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

You were made from wood and your name was Pinocchio, you had trouble convincing them you were a real boy  lol :P  I kid on that

Seriously though,  If I post up a tale of my own god experience, what would it take for you to believe me, and call it all fact and it becomes knowledge?

If I knew you as an honest & healthy person & if I had trusted you enough I would Accepted it as a perception of a reality you have encountered I would have analysed & gathered some facts from it.

#276    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,056 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 06 December 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Little clockman living on a clockman world
Who thinks reality is deterministic
Unable to see where he's going wrong
Even if whats said is simplistic

You'll get there one day but you might rust to peices before then lol
And here I thought you were completely useless.

#277    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,267 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 December 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

:P @ I'd call him mate lol

Leave out the gender of god.. Once proven for all to observe, god then becomes what?

God does not become anything. He doesnt change at all. God remains what he has always been.

BUT human perception of, and  thus human response to, god will change dramatically.

Human response to god is often individualised and based on individual conceptualisation and imagery of god. Humans respond to what they believe/imagine god to be like.

Once god is known and understood, people can create a more real and realistic relationship with god as I do Like a relationship with another physical living entity. They wont have the often incorrect, imagined understandings of him, but will be able to observe and relate to the reality of god.

Also they wont be free to create a mulitude of different variations on god. A real, physica,l known, measurable and quantifiable god will greatly reduce the divisions in humanity over god.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#278    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Sadly he doesn't do that. Many theists have lost their faith because of that exact reason & become atheists.

#279    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 06 December 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

I cant judge because I wasnt there, but i would rely on your word

Would this choice to believe me, be because you already are a follower of god, and so any tale linked to god, you will accept without question?

your capable mind

How would you know if my mind was capable?  What determines that? ....

I could be posting from a mental ward on my phone or computer..

I would not think or assume it was an hallucination   

How would you determine if it was or not?   It could be... I could have been on meds that fuelled it?  Or other treatments that are known to cause hallucinations ? .. So,  wouldn't your mind not think further and question it?

I would make a judgement call on that ,based on your past truthfulness,

Remember, I put it to you, that you have never known of me before, this would be your first time...So, that cannot be relevant..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 06 December 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#280    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,056 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 06 December 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Why reject any friend, imaginary or real, who is powerful and positive, who loves you, protects you, comforts you and  empowers you, even if that  turned out to be only through the power of psychological placebo?
Because I'm not that good at lying to myself.

View PostMr Right Wing, on 06 December 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Why are you so against there being a God? Has your life not gone the way you'd hoped?
That's non sequitur.

#281    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 06 December 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

And here I thought you were completely useless.

Thank you for the compliment lol

#282    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,056 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostC235, on 06 December 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Sadly he doesn't do that. Many theists have lost their faith because of that exact reason & become atheists.
Oh no, that's just not fair.

#283    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostC235, on 06 December 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

God will remain God.

As I previously told Mr Walker, yes he would  obviously still be god..  My question is  ( to word it another way )  - What changes? ..What does god then become known as ?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 06 December 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#284    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 December 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

As I previously told Mr Walker, yes he would  obviously still be god..  My question is  ( to word it another way )  - What changes? ..What does god then become known as ?

Nothing. Unless you insist something should?

#285    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,267 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 December 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

Would this choice to believe me, be because you already are a follower of god, and so any tale linked to god, you will accept without question?

How would you know if my mind was capable?  What determines that? ....

I could be posting from a mental ward on my phone or computer..

How would you determine if it was or not?   It could be... I could have been on meds that fuelled it?  Or other treatments that are known to cause hallucinations ? .. So, who wouldn't your mind not think further and question it?

Remember, I put it to you, that you have never known of me before, this would be your first time...So, that cannot be relevant..

Sorry. I misunderstood your whole post i thought we wre talking about you.

If a complete stranger came up to me and told me they had met an alien i would talk to them. I would cross examine them and find out the context, the reliablity of the witness and his/her background.  If i accepted that they were sane, healthy, and honest, then I would accpet any tale they told me as probably true. It has nothing to do with god being in the mix.

This could be the same for a ghost, poltergeist, alien etc. My dad once met something he described as a yowie in the australiana bush. it errified him and the teenage friend he was with at the time. He described it clearly despite over 60 years having passed and the description matched other sightings of a similar creature in the Australian bush. I believe he and his friend saw something inexplicable and described it accurately.
It is realtively easy using questions, and reality checkers, to ascertain from a physical description and conversation whether something observed was more likely  real, or an hallucination etc.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users