Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Southern Gotham named Sandy Hook

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,050 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostHasina, on 22 December 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Nolan didn't create Batman or anything. He's just made the most recent movies. Before Frank Miller the public image of Batman was 'Shark Repellent' and 'Robin and Batman are gay!' Just in recent years has Batman become this dark and gritty character. Seriously, look up some Silver Age Batman comics, you shan't be disappointed.

I guess it's relative to how long old Bats has been around, but, 'recent years' is a bit of a misnomer.  Miller did that way back in the 80's.  I still have my original copies.  Egads, I'm old, like dirt.

#32    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,298 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

View Postsupervike, on 22 December 2012 - 04:35 AM, said:

I've been a Batman comicbook reader for as long as I can remember, and have always thought of Gotham as New York City.  I've never heard or read any indication it was Chicago until I read that post.
So what city do you think Superman's Metropolis is based on then?  Dallas?  To me the dark sinister run by organized crime Gotham city has always been Chicago.  It can't possibly be New York as Superman's Metropolis is obviously New York City.

#33    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

View Postsupervike, on 26 December 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

I guess it's relative to how long old Bats has been around, but, 'recent years' is a bit of a misnomer.  Miller did that way back in the 80's.  I still have my original copies.  Egads, I'm old, like dirt.
True, true. At least he's better then All-Star's Batman.

View PostOverSword, on 26 December 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

So what city do you think Superman's Metropolis is based on then?  Dallas?  To me the dark sinister run by organized crime Gotham city has always been Chicago.  It can't possibly be New York as Superman's Metropolis is obviously New York City.
Ooooor, they're both based on New York City?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#34    frenat

frenat

Poltergeist

• 2,822 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostOverSword, on 26 December 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

I've read BOTH Metropolis AND Gotham are supposed to represent the light and dark sides of New York.  The ONLY time I've heard Chicago is this thread.  In every continuity I've seen Gotham is on the East coast (I've seen one where Metropolis was in Kansas but it is also most often in the East).  Sometimes New York exists with Gotham and Metropolis and sometimes it is missing.  Still never heard of it being based on Chicago.

-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
-Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
-If I wanted to pay for commercials I couldn't skip I'd sign up for Hulu Plus.
-There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.
If you have to insist that you've won an Internet argument, you've probably lost badly. - Danth's Law

#35    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,298 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

View Postfrenat, on 26 December 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

I've read BOTH Metropolis AND Gotham are supposed to represent the light and dark sides of New York.  The ONLY time I've heard Chicago is this thread.  In every continuity I've seen Gotham is on the East coast (I've seen one where Metropolis was in Kansas but it is also most often in the East).  Sometimes New York exists with Gotham and Metropolis and sometimes it is missing.  Still never heard of it being based on Chicago.
And yet comic books featuring both Batman and Superman, Superman has to fly from Metropolis to Gotham.  Two different cities.  They are in the same universe (DC Universe) So the city isn't two versions of one city.  Gotham has trains (chicago) metropolis has subways and towering bright skyscrapers (new york).

edited for; I already warned you, don't try to change my mind with puny facts.  I was reading these comics before most of you were born and still do.

Edited by OverSword, 26 December 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#36    frenat

frenat

Poltergeist

• 2,822 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

View PostOverSword, on 26 December 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

And yet comic books featuring both Batman and Superman, Superman has to fly from Metropolis to Gotham.  Two different cities.  They are in the same universe (DC Universe) So the city isn't two versions of one city.  Gotham has trains (chicago) metropolis has subways and towering bright skyscrapers (new york).

I never said they weren't two different cities. they are BASED ON two parts of New York. Gotham only has trains in some versions

View PostOverSword, on 26 December 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

edited for; I already warned you, don't try to change my mind with puny facts.  I was reading these comics before most of you were born and still do.
So in other words, your mind is already made up and it doesn't matter what the truth is.  Sounds just like a troll to me.

Edit to add: Further evidence it is supposed to be based on New York.  Washington Irving first used Gotham as a nickname for New York in 1807. And
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham

Edited by frenat, 26 December 2012 - 08:10 PM.

-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
-Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
-If I wanted to pay for commercials I couldn't skip I'd sign up for Hulu Plus.
-There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.
If you have to insist that you've won an Internet argument, you've probably lost badly. - Danth's Law

#37    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,004 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

I think people are taking the fact that Nolan's Batman series was shot mainly on location in Chicago as meaning that Gotham was meant to represent Chicago. Chicago was an inspiration, to be sure, but so were many other large cities:

From Wiki - Gotham City (same source Paul Rubino cited earlier)

Locations used as inspiration or filming locations for the urban portion of Gotham City in the live-action Batman films have included New York City, Los Angeles, West London, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Newark, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and St Neots, while British country house locations in Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire have been used to depict the less urban scene of Wayne Manor.

also...

In Swamp Thing #53, Alan Moore wrote a fictional history for Gotham City that other writers have generally followed. According to Moore's tale, a Norwegian mercenary founded Gotham City and the British later took it over—a story that parallels the founding of New York by the Dutch (as New Amsterdam) and later takeover by the British. During the American Revolutionary War, Gotham City was the site of a major battle (paralleling the Battle of Brooklyn in the American Revolution). This was detailed in Rick Veitch's Swamp Thing #85 featuring Tomahawk. Rumors held it to be the site of various occult rites.

and

In terms of atmosphere, Batman writer and editor Dennis O'Neil has said that, figuratively, "Batman's Gotham City is Manhattan below Fourteenth Street at eleven minutes past midnight on the coldest night in November."

and finally

Gotham City's geography, like other fictional cities' geographies in the DC Universe, has varied over the decades, because of changing writers, editors, and storylines. The majority of appearances place Gotham on the Northeastern coast of the United States, where New York City is located. Also, Manhattan is an island in the Northeastern United States, which corresponds to maps depicting Gotham City. However, the 1990 Atlas of the DC Universe states that Gotham is located in New Jersey, across the Delaware Bay from Metropolis, which would place it on the southern coast of New Jersey. Like Gotham, Metropolis' location has also varied over the years. The distance between Gotham and Metropolis has varied greatly over the years, with depictions of the two ranging from being hundreds of miles apart to Gotham and Metropolis being shown as twin cities on opposite sides of Delaware Bay, with Gotham City in New Jersey and Metropolis in Delaware.

Historically, "Gotham" has been a nickname for New York City originating on November 11, 1807 by Washington Irving in his Salmagundi Papers. Frank Miller has said that "Metropolis is New York in the daytime; Gotham City is New York at night." DC Comics publisher and former president Paul Levitz says that Gotham is "New York from 14th Street down, the older buildings, more brick-and-mortar as opposed to steel-and-glass." New York Times journalist William Safire described Gotham City as "New York below 14th Street, from SoHo to Greenwich Village, the Bowery, Little Italy, Chinatown, and the sinister areas around the base of the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges."

Film adaptations have varied: Tim Burton's Gotham was based primarily on New York, while the films directed by Christopher Nolan have shown a Gotham more closely based on Chicago. In Nolan's films Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, the license plates of the cars registered in Gotham strongly resemble those of Illinois but display "Gotham" as the state. Additionally, during a car chase in Batman Begins one of the cops reports that Batman is travelling west on I-78. Nolan has stated that Chicago is the basis of his portrayal of Gotham, and the majority of both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were filmed there.

Cz

EDITED for typos....

Edited by Czero 101, 26 December 2012 - 09:10 PM.

"Thinking is critical, because sense is not common..." - GreaterSapien
"Enquiring and doubting the "official story" are also good things .... However when these doubts require you to ignore the evidence, to dishonestly cherry pick evidence and claim it supports your case when it doesn't, when you operate a double standard; demanding proof of that which is already proven whilst making unsupported statements and personal opinions to back your own case and when you deny the truth simply because it IS the official story then you are no longer acting in a rational way. This is not the behaviour of a "different thinker", this is the behaviour of a "believer" who chooses not to rationally think about the evidence at all." - Waspie Dwarf

#38    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

So... In other words... Gotham = New York City

No, no! I should actually say 'Gotham based on New York City'.

Edited by Hasina, 26 December 2012 - 09:08 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#39    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 3,512 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 24 December 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

If there both from fictional versions of New York then how come theres never been a Spider Man vs Batman ?
http://marvel.wikia...._Batman_Vol_1_1
Posted Image

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#40    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 3,512 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

According to a 2000 DC table top game, Metropolis is in Delaware and Gotham in New Jeresy. However, DC's offical position is that both cities are along the mid-Atlantic seaboard and in no particular state.

Posted Image

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#41    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

View Postsupervike, on 26 December 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

You're right on that, but I was going relative on how long Batman's been around.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#42    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 24 December 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

If there both from fictional versions of New York then how come theres never been a Spider Man vs Batman ?
Owned by competing comic companies. Batman is DC and Spider-Man is Marvel.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#43    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,511 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

But there used to be the DV vs. Marvel series, where superheroes from both publisher were fighting each other. Spiderman took on Superboy, and Batman Captain America, though.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Marvel_vs_dc

#44    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Well, yeah, back in the '90's, when it seemed like anything was possible cause the Soviets were gone. DC and Marvel could hang out, pop music hadn't been created yet, it was a better time.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#45    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,231 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

This has turned into quite a comic geek discussion, hasn;t it. B)

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users