Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

194 Pilot Whales with Dolphins Beached

like a daydream or a fever

Story

Very strange occurrence indeed. Knowing that Marine Mammals navigate using the electromagnetic field of the Earth, it is very strange that something to this magnitude would occur with two species at the same time.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• like a daydream or a fever

• Mattshark

• Cetacea

• Stormcrow

Story

Very strange occurrence indeed. Knowing that Marine Mammals navigate using the electromagnetic field of the Earth, it is very strange that something to this magnitude would occur with two species at the same time.

points out that pilot whales ARE dolphins.

Well two different species of dolphin interacting with each other is not common at all... They are often very hostile toward each other.

Well two different species of dolphin interacting with each other is not common at all... They are often very hostile toward each other.

Yes they are, they are large carnivores and pilot whales will readily kill most other species of dolphin.

However this would be a minor correlation and it would show nothing. What about all the populations that didn't beach.

2 more likely causes

Sonar

A senile pod leader.

That's true, but what about the numerous other Tasmanian beaching occurrences, and the semi-correlating earthquake data?

That's true, but what about the numerous other Tasmanian beaching occurrences, and the semi-correlating earthquake data?

But if it was a sign then you would expect far more breaching. Also if you want electromagnetic sensitivity look at sharks. They can sense it far better.

Dolphins use echolocation based navigation, sharks use the earth natural electromagnetic field to navigate.

It is a meaningless correlation I am afraid. Just like when people say a dogs can predict it because one dog barked just prior to an earthquake.

Earthquakes however can injure dolphins enough to make them strand.

Edited by Mattshark

Yeah, I agree. It is kind of tragic that things like this happen though to a species that is already being nearly eradicated off the planet by humanity.

Yeah, I agree. It is kind of tragic that things like this happen though to a species that is already being nearly eradicated off the planet by humanity.

These dolphins, not so much. We give hype to the most common and numerous dolphins. Bottlenose for example are every where and pilot whales are not in any way shape or form rare.

You hear nothing about any of the the truly rare dolphins.

How much do you know of:

Baiji - critically endangered

Hectors dolphin - endangered

Irrawaddy dolphin - vulnerable

Francicana - vulnerable

Boto - vulnerable

Ganges river dolphin - vulenerable

They are the only dolphins considered to be in danger out of 35 species and only 2 are in real serious danger at present.

Edited by Mattshark

I am aware of this, but comparably to the human population all Dolphin, Whale, and Shark populations combined are seemingly nil.

I am aware of this, but comparably to the human population all Dolphin, Whale, and Shark populations combined are seemingly nil.

Yes, we are overpopulated but the animal which is really suffering from us, the sharks is basically ignored because the animals that need the least aid, the common species' of dolphin are getting all of it because conservation groups who have limited scientific interest have severely distorted the work and the funding systems.

Yes, we are overpopulated but the animal which is really suffering from us, the sharks is basically ignored because the animals that need the least aid, the common species' of dolphin are getting all of it because conservation groups who have limited scientific interest have severely distorted the work and the funding systems.

I'll post something meaningless, in addition. Most people won't want to offer support for something that gets more attention for having attacked a person, when any wild animal (dolphins and whales included) are just as capable (but the only attention these attacks get are five second mentions on CNN and a ten minute story on "When Animals Attack" or something, when a shark attack will be mentioned for days). I think it's to do with the shape of their faces, somewhat. Most whales and dolphins have a soft, round face that's naturally "cute" and attractive to people, while the shark's is sharp and fierce, something we naturally fear. I do feel a bit bad for them, but I'll admit I wouldn't want to come face to face with one.

As for the beaching, I don't really know. But I also don't think that every single marine mammal would beach itself at the threat of an earthquake--and a shark certainly wouldn't consider it. There is that possibility, I mean, nearly 200 dolphins beached themselves, that is quite a number to take into consideration. I'll put it this way: I wouldn't be surprised if there were an earthquake.

Baiji - critically endangered

While that is how they are listed I think they have actually accepted it as being 'functionally extinct' (see BBC News), it's just hard to proof it beyond reasonable doubt.

I'll post something meaningless

I don't think what you posted is meaningless at all, it's a very real concern both in public conservation and education work but it can even stretch into funding of scientific work, dolphins are an attractive species and often get heavily funded while shark researchers, well, they get what's left over. It makes for some snide remarks between research departments, I can tell you that much...

As for the original topic, stranding can have a variety of reasons and some of them are still not very well studied. There are some studies that do focus on effects of electromagnetic fields but there is sof far more evidence for other sources, such as sonar, especially in this area. Pilot whales are also thought to be quite notorious for following an ill pod leader no matter what he does, including stranding. However as there are several species of dolphins involved here this is probably unlikely. I am guessing sonar for this one and it seems to be the prime suspect from the scientists view point:

Times Online

Edited by Cetacea

Well you were correct I supose that an earthquake was about to happen in Australia: there were Earthquakes in Melbourne on Friday night... Link Here

Interesting! But a 4.6 doesn't seem large enough to warrant that kind of mass beaching, imo. Still, very interesting.

Australia rarely gets any earthquakes, so even a 4.6 is considered major for us!

Interesting! But a 4.6 doesn't seem large enough to warrant that kind of mass beaching, imo. Still, very interesting.

Australia rarely gets any earthquakes, so even a 4.6 is considered major for us!

I think this is the classical example our lecturer likes to give, if a dog barks before an eathquake somewhere, it's big news and is all over the papers. If there is an earthquake and no dogs bark, there is nothing in the papers about dogs not barking. These sort of things are very hard to quantify scientifically, especially since there tends to be a bias in the way it is reported or perceived. Now if a survey showed that there was some form of stranding before the majority of earthquakes, you could say there may be an indication. However even then, a correlation cannot determine cause and effect in science. I am still thinking it's probably sonar, mainly because they have had a lot of trouble with naval sonar causing strandings down there...